Boost or pyro????

As I am doing the body work on the cab for my B-61 project I am always pondering other aspects of it. I have been giving thought to what I want for gauges I the limited space available (8 not counting speedo and tach) and, while I would LIKE to have a boost gauge and a pyrometer, due to lack of Realestate, I may have to eliminate one (I already have to eliminate the diff temp). For what I am using this truck for, neither boost nor pyro are REALLY necessary but I would like them anyways. So, if I have to choose, I'm thinking that the pyro is more practical as it monitors something that actually matters, even though the chance that I will encounter dangerously high exhaust temps pulling a holiday trailer is....lets just say "unlikely". Boost, OTOH, while not really critical, to my way of thinking, it serves like a vacuum gauge on a gas engine (only opposite) in that it gives an indication of relative fuel economy. So, the first 5 places are fixed (dual needle air pressure, oil, temp, volts/ampres and fuel), I really want to add a third air pressure and another fuel which leaves one vacant spot for the pyro, boost or diff temp. NONE of these are really important (which is why they are at the bottom on the list), diff temp only because the diff has the sender in it already and pyro and boost because...well its a diesel so........they would be nice. I would like to hear thoughts from the forum on what should get the final spot and why. There IS the option of placing gauges outside of the gauge panel, either in the dash somewhere (in place of the ash tray perhaps) or on a panel mounted under the dash but I never cared for the looks of an "add on" panel. I suppose I could put the boost and pyro in pods on top of the dash but I would prefer to stay with a cleaner, more conventional look. So, what do y'all think???. What other options have I missed or what gauges should get the boot?. 

5 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

my personal vote would be for the pyro .boost lacks you know it in performance . engine running warmer , you don't want to find out tooo late. 

I too vote pyro! I personally would dump the diff temp ! Put a boost gauge in ! Both tell a tail if you know what your looking for! Diff temp for a toy hauler is useless in my mind unless you plan on running the diff out of oil! Must have list for me are the two mentioned as well as voltage / water temp oil pressure ! 

• Like 1

possibly you can find one of those "other trucks"that have dozen gauges on dash  and modify the panel so it is slightly angled toward driver not just add on plate under dash. get real creative with running hidden wire harness and mount gauges top side of window just move shift patten emblem.

I like that gauge Larry. However, like everything else these days, can't find one anywhere on the net. I swear, 15-20 years ago whatever you wanted just type it in and up it would come. Now, search engines are so screwed it doesn't matter how vague or specific a description I type in I get page after page of shit that isn't even related to what I am looking for. "No problem" says my internal "common sense" "I'll just go to the company web sight". I can not remember that last time I went to a company/business web sight that was the least bit user friendly or useful. I can't believe that companies actually PAY people to create these worthless webpages. Now, to be fair, after wasting an hour searching for something and coming up empty, I usually tell my wife what I am looking for and within 5-10 minutes she finds it. I ask what she typed in and it is ALWAYS the exact same thing I typed in word for word but the sights/pages that come up for her don't come up for me. Probably why I am so happy to drive my model A fords and will be happy to drive my B-61 Mack and any vehicle with an ECM is to me like sunlight is to Dracula. THESE things I understand. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brocky said:

Just like the Yellow Pages in the phone book... I can never find what I am looking for!!

And yet, after spending about an hour searching for that gauge with no luck, I showed the picture to my wife and in 5 minutes (literally) she found it. What REALLY baffled me is that she found it on a sight that I had been to and did not find it there. Unfortunately for me, turns out it is a 3" gauge and I need 2 -1/16" so as cool as it is, it doesn't fit my needs. That and it is $340USD which would be $466CAD plus shipping so about $500CAD so....that is a hard NOPE. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Brocky said:

Just like the Yellow Pages in the phone book... I can never find what I am looking for!!

what is this phone book you speak of ; why does it have yellow pages not white.  trying to confuse the "younger folk" .LOL . another sad part of todays world. not only many never heard of a phone book , many (younger) didn't know homes used to have a telephone with phone book. got a phone call this am from friend still running his own truck, point is he called my cell phone which lost service  when I moved from certain spot in house. had to call him back with house phone. he says not many have house phones any more. at least house phone works 90% of the time.

• Like 1

I still have a house phone!!! I am not married to my cell!!! An older style flip phone.. It is usually on the kitchen counter or in the truck cup holder.. With my bad ears I can put the house phone on speaker and hear it OK.. Especially the voice mail part..

• Like 1

Brocky

On 11/16/2023 at 9:04 AM, Licensed to kill said:

And yet, after spending about an hour searching for that gauge with no luck, I showed the picture to my wife and in 5 minutes (literally) she found it. What REALLY baffled me is that she found it on a sight that I had been to and did not find it there. Unfortunately for me, turns out it is a 3" gauge and I need 2 -1/16" so as cool as it is, it doesn't fit my needs. That and it is $340USD which would be $466CAD plus shipping so about $500CAD so....that is a hard NOPE. 

That's why I put it where the ashtray used to be.  Wouldn't fit anyplace else.  I've seen old trucks with a pyro mounted to a piece of alum drilled to the dash.  Cobbled up, but typical for an old truck.  

I found it on Isspro website but can't recall where I actually ordered from.  Yes, it was very pricey, but gave me both gauges.

I know you want be purchasing it but will try to remember to get a picture of the install just for shitz and gigglez.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

4 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

That's why I put it where the ashtray used to be.  Wouldn't fit anyplace else.  I've seen old trucks with a pyro mounted to a piece of alum drilled to the dash.  Cobbled up, but typical for an old truck.  

I had wondered why you located it there but now understand. One of the trucks I have had a 3" pyro mounted below and between the two gauges on the left where the engine operation plaque was. It is the same cluster panel that had a 4th gauge added to the right side but put it slightly inboard of the one above to clear the lighter. 

47 minutes ago, Full Floater said:

Pyro.

Fuel pressure gauge is another informative gauge that gets overlooked.   Can really show a problem coming before you're stuck on the side of the road.

Few years back I was having power issues.  First it was the throttle lever had slipped on the shaft.  Fixed that but still was a bit sluggish.  I installed a fuel pressure gauge and hung it on the air cleaner so I could see it out the window and noticed it was low.  Installed a new lift pump and it was like new again.  The bad thing is, the pressure pulsates and you need a liquid filled gauge to steady it enough to read it.  I know they put them in the dash, but it would need to be electric or have an isolator as to not leak fuel if something went wrong.  I ran my external gauge for a few years and finally took it off.

• Like 1

Larry

On 11/15/2023 at 2:52 PM, Licensed to kill said:

I like that gauge Larry. However, like everything else these days, can't find one anywhere on the net. I swear, 15-20 years ago whatever you wanted just type it in and up it would come. Now, search engines are so screwed it doesn't matter how vague or specific a description I type in I get page after page of shit that isn't even related to what I am looking for. "No problem" says my internal "common sense" "I'll just go to the company web sight". I can not remember that last time I went to a company/business web sight that was the least bit user friendly or useful. I can't believe that companies actually PAY people to create these worthless webpages. Now, to be fair, after wasting an hour searching for something and coming up empty, I usually tell my wife what I am looking for and within 5-10 minutes she finds it. I ask what she typed in and it is ALWAYS the exact same thing I typed in word for word but the sights/pages that come up for her don't come up for me. Probably why I am so happy to drive my model A fords and will be happy to drive my B-61 Mack and any vehicle with an ECM is to me like sunlight is to Dracula. THESE things I understand. 

I have noticed what your talking about when using a smart phone. Get on a real computer and the web pages are totally different and have all the information and user interface features you could ever need. The "mobile friendly" versions of just about any website is 100% worthless. I hate looking for anything with my phone. It is an absolute last resort option.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 67RModel said:

I have noticed what your talking about when using a smart phone. Get on a real computer and the web pages are totally different and have all the information and user interface features you could ever need. The "mobile friendly" versions of just about any website is 100% worthless. I hate looking for anything with my phone. It is an absolute last resort option.

I won't use the mobile version if on my phone.  I know it limits things and usually makes it harder.  All else, I wait to get on computer at home/work.

• Like 1

Larry

I am just curious why you want a third air pressure, (applications gauge is sometimes handy but for a toy hauler I would think not) and a second fuel gauge? I would delete those two and go with pyro and manifold pressure and then maybe fuel pressure.  All though that bigger twin pressure pyro does look good.

30 minutes ago, B MACK said:

I am just curious why you want a third air pressure, (applications gauge is sometimes handy but for a toy hauler I would think not) and a second fuel gauge? I would delete those two and go with pyro and manifold pressure and then maybe fuel pressure.  All though that bigger twin pressure pyro does look good.

One gauge for each air tank (a dual gauge for that) plus another for the adjustable air ride that I am putting on the steer axle. Two fuel gauges because I am running two tanks independent with a manual valve to choose so for local running around I can just run one tank and use the second only for long trips but always be able to see what is in each.