Boost or pyro????

When I was hauling logs with my Superliner I had two 100 gallon tanks. One on each side below the doors. Their were the steps. Most of the time I could get by with less than 100 gallons of fuel, but just in case of a long day or some other issue I had fuel in the other tank, with the cross over valve closed.  That "extra reserve" fuel was in that other tank not being used or having new fuel added, turned black. I think it had algea growing in it. My idea of having the other tank as a reserve could have got me in in real mess. I would put a cross over line on and run both tanks. Maybe keep yourself from getting in trouble.

10 hours ago, B MACK said:

When I was hauling logs with my Superliner I had two 100 gallon tanks. One on each side below the doors. Their were the steps. Most of the time I could get by with less than 100 gallons of fuel, but just in case of a long day or some other issue I had fuel in the other tank, with the cross over valve closed.  That "extra reserve" fuel was in that other tank not being used or having new fuel added, turned black. I think it had algea growing in it. My idea of having the other tank as a reserve could have got me in in real mess. I would put a cross over line on and run both tanks. Maybe keep yourself from getting in trouble.

I think there was something else going on as I have diesel that is 6-8 months old all the time and one of my b61 had 39 year old fuel in the tanks and I have never seen it turn black. Of course the 30 yo stuff was stale and i would never use it ( used it for fire starter) I have never had an issue with 6-8 month old fuel on the farm, equipment with fuel nose than a year old in it is not uncommon. Be that as it may, my setup is different than what you describe. First, with the tanks not under the cab, a crossover line is not practical but, more importantly, I will be set up to be able to choose right tank OR left tank OR both tanks simultaneously where your setup you can only choose left tank or both tanks. If I was in a situation like you describe, I would fill both tanks, run one, then refill it at the end of the day and use the other the next day and switch back and forth. I could keep the truck full at all times and never have yo screw around trying to fill/top up both side at one time. I appreciate your sharing of your experience, if I was setting up my system similar it would have saved me from potential grief. 

8 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I think most times the fuel should return to a tank on one side and draw off the other side, this keeps all the fuel fresh and also keeps the fuel cooler 

Paul

I tried that once, the return side stayed way higher than the suction side. Apparently the crossover hose wouldn’t even it out fast enough.  Terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I think most times the fuel should return to a tank on one side and draw off the other side, this keeps all the fuel fresh and also keeps the fuel cooler 

Paul

Which works fine as long as you don’t close off the crossover line. If you were plumbed like that and you closed off the crossover (like BMack did) the tank with the return would overflow. What I am going to do is basically the same system that Ford and Chevy did for years in the 70’s and 80’s with their pickups with dual selectable tanks except I can choose both tanks or no tanks, and the valve is manual and does not switch the gauge as well. 

Edited by Licensed to kill
  • Like 1

Yes it sounds like you have your fuel system figured out and know what you want , I can see why you want separate gauges now. And yes with the tanks both not being under the doors, a cross over would not work .   It sounds like you are really thinking ahead on things way before you do it. I think you are going to end up with a top notch rig. Good luck with your project.