On the Hunt for MORE H.P!! Why??

Joey Mack

2 hours ago, 67RModel said:

A 6.7 Cummins rated at 350 HP? 😂. The B10 Life for that engine is 250,000 miles. I seriously doubt a 6.7 Cummins under the hood of Mack CH tractor would make one complete trip across the country at 80,000 pounds GVW all else being equal. The power density of the light duty diesels way too high for the type of longevity class 8 engines are expected to get.

Exactly!  They are meant to pull much lighter loads.  Imagine a 400-500HP gas-burning High Performance Hemi V8 trying to pull 100,000 pounds?  At 75mph?  Not for long!

The class 8 diesels are meant to last.  Turning them up to max output can only shorten their life expectancy.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

There was only one Superliner sold with a E6 in Australia 

A few had Cat  motors, dunno if any had GM 2 strokes and probably a Cummins or two

The rest were E9

The E9 was the most popular big powered truck motor in Australia by a long long way

None Mack trucks had big powered motors

8V92 GM's were probably next, a few K19 Cummins, only a few, as in less than a handful of 12V71 and the same for the 3804 Cats

Australian requirements are very different, much bigger tonnages at not as higher speed 

That been said the blokes on the Hume and Newell hwy would of given any U.S. truck driver a run for their money

The Hume, and the Newell were high speed interstate runs that probably peaked in the mid to late 80's

I reckon the Pacific hwy was a rat race until a couple of big bus (coach) accidents that killed and mamed a lot of people 

I never traveled the Pacific or Hume much so can't really comment them much

Come to think of it I reckon that was what made the government change the laws and stop booking people for rubbish and started cracking right down on the industry 

Sort of the begining of the end of all the owner drivers 

Way off topic now

The first E9 I ever heard was in western QLD 

Pulled up on the side of the road and all's quite, next thing I heard, bop bop bop bop that slowly got closer and over the rise appears a Superliner with double deck crates, just bop bop bop past me standing there with my jaw on the dirt

Probably only doing 50 - 55 MPH gross out at maybe 130 ton, no weight limits on volume load trailers

Made a little 320 feel positively out of date 

Was between Longreach and Winton and I was heading west, made the hair on back of my neck all stand and gave me goose bump type of deal 

Dont think I'll forget it 

Paul 

A bit more useless none accurate information 

I reckon back in the day when Mack was on top of the world in road train sales, 8 out of 10 road trains were pulled by Mack, later it probably dropped to 6 out of 10 in the 90's when Ccummins and Detroit caught upto the E9 hp, this when the E9 was well over 600 hp in Australia 

A well tunned E9 will destrot a Mack 12 speed on road train work pretty quick, the road train work is a unbelievable endurance run for any truck, full power shifting huge tonnage for 12 hours straight, it really sorts things out, thats why I never chase  more hp, it just won't last under those conditions 

I would maybe 3 or 4 out of 10 road trains are Mack now, the Kenworth maybe has about the same, maybe slighty more, then the European makes and Volvo would be the most popular 

Paul 

Australian Macks are a bit different than Yanky ones, a little more hairy chested and less Tesla like lol

Australian trucks sit higher and have more exposed none slippery stuff like gay mirrors on the bonnet that all U.S. trucks seem to have

Even the Anthem doesn't have all gay pride crap that the U.S. ones appear to have 

20230524_065835.thumb.jpg.2ad8831205c5afc82f76fce9a3301f99.jpg

Paul 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Australian Macks are a bit different than Yanky ones, a little more hairy chested 

Paul 

I heard your sheilas are like that too.

More "hairy chested" than our sheilas are.  🤣

• Haha 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Yeah Paul..  we have these nature babies,  I call them crunchy granola types......  they also don't shave their armpits..  of course, they also don't wear bra's..  so, there is a good side to it..  :)

• Haha 1