1960 Mack B61T Restoration

6 hours ago, Mark T said:

I can assure you the susspension out of the CH has no idea what it's holding up. Long as everything travels within it's limits and pinion angle is correct..... it'll work.

That was my assumption, just wasn't sure if I should look for something more specific since I am taking the time to do the swap.

2 hours ago, yarnall said:

Where are you located?  My father has some springs in parts he bought a few years back. We are near Macungie. 

I am about 8 hours south of you.  Might be a bit far

Air ride would be nice, but it will cost more, take more time, and never look like it belongs under your B model. The choice is yours, but if you want to save time and money while keeping your truck looking original, just go to a spring shop and buy the leaf (leaves) that you need.  I needed a main leaf for a 56 H model, and the spring shop had one on the shelf !

• Like 1

Yes, also it’s not going to ride like a car you still need weight on it …. Lots of guys are going that way not sure why  and yes, from what I understand. Springs are not that hard to come across leafs just have to have a shop in your area someplace Google search babba… good luck…. Bob

Matt just went through that short while ago on his 73 he could probably steer you in the right direction. Unfortunately most of the reputable shops are in the north east and shipping as a fortune so you pretty much have to drive up there.

Ask around to locate a good spring shop. A good shop can do a lot to get them back in shape. From the pictures you posted it looks like only a couple of leaves are broken. You can have a shop just replace what's broken, if the rest are OK. I have two rear springs sitting on my barn floor you could have, but I'm farther away from you than Yarnall. .I've seen several trucks with air ride setups under the rears at shows. I think they're OK and if you run empty will probably give you a much better ride. Especially if your truck is a short wheelbase. Lot's of bucking when going over bumps. 

• Like 1

Eight Up::  You best and cheapest way out is to locate a local spring shop and have them replace any broken leafs.. As Bob said try Google?? And another way is to look around for a local trucking company,  dump truck or heavy haul outfit.. Their shop foreman should know of a local reputable spring shop.

• Like 1

Brocky

Yes, there’s no end to Google search but sometimes people live in an area where there isn’t really a whole lot. Good luck. Whatever you do from where I sit it seems like you’re easiest and cheapest way is to repair what you have . I’m sure if you go with the air suspension. That’s going to be a lot of modification when you get it all set and blow a bag. Another consideration, I drive a brand new Peterbilt three axle with air and Bob tailing. It really doesn’t seem much different than spring ride. put its you’re ride, you decide

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 1:05 PM, Vladislav said:

One thing I can tell for sure CH frame rails stand wider from each other than a B.

True but will only be an issue if using the rear from the CH as the locating dowel pins would need to be moved inboard. If just using the suspension and putting the original diff under it, shouldn't cause any issues in that regard. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mowerman said:

Yes, there’s no end to Google search but sometimes people live in an area where there isn’t really a whole lot. Good luck. Whatever you do from where I sit it seems like you’re easiest and cheapest way is to repair what you have . I’m sure if you go with the air suspension. That’s going to be a lot of modification when you get it all set and blow a bag. Another consideration, I drive a brand new Peterbilt three axle with air and Bob tailing. It really doesn’t seem much different than spring ride. put its you’re ride, you decide

And then again, what I twin Drive tractor. They write a lot smoother anyway than the single axle. And yes I’m sure now we have you all confused ha ha. Good luck bud… bob

4 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

True but will only be an issue if using the rear from the CH as the locating dowel pins would need to be moved inboard. If just using the suspension and putting the original diff under it, shouldn't cause any issues in that regard. 

I minded putting a complete suspension so meeting a trouble with points you attach brackets to the frame rails. Probably simple spicers might be used but that should be kept in mind.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012