"Bad" driver and the B Model

Came across this video on YouTube   "Carrier or Killer"  It is a truck driver safety movie made in the mid 1960's by the same company that made the drivers education movies "Signal 30" and "Mechanized Death" that we saw in class in the 60's. Neither the B Mack or the driver made it out alive. Quite a few other trucks from this period in the film too. 

I am assuming most of that was staged when they were pulling the guy out of the b model   I was thinking my God don’t show me dead people and then I got thinking that was all filmed to make it look that way I drove nights for 40 years and I am no saint either. I have completely dozed off more than once. Luckily nothing ever came out of bed. I woke right up again. 

We had to watch those type of films when I was in drivers ed class in 1981. They were very real. Still can't forget the guy pulled out of a burnt 65 Impala. He was totally blackened and crisp. About as graphic as you could get. 

• Like 1

There’s a lot of those “safety “ films from that era. Always surprised me how long those films were in circulation, decades for a lot of them. That one brings back a lot of memories of patrolling the highways investigating and cleaning up those scenes. A lot of tragic things happen out there. Everyone I worked with had a very morbid sense of humor from dealing with it. Most of it never made me flinch, it was what it was and that was my job. There are many scenes though I’ll never forget. Trying to hold someone together until more help arrives. Doing CPR on someone I pulled from a wreck in a snow storm, while the family yells at me to save their husband/father. The roads are a dangerous uncaring place.

• Like 2

yup. drunk fell in front of a bus driving down the highway. had to pick up the pieces. 

another one missed at turn on a 35 mph road........at around 120. when we finally got to the car after digging half the collapse building he ended up in, we thought oh great, we have two bodies in the car because there was a set of feet next to the visible head in the crushed car. nope only the driver....bent in half and lower body twisted 180.

or the guy that ran a red light and got t-boned. 

trying ot calm him telling him he will be alrite.........but wondering why he is not already dead because the lower half of his body is 8 foot away with the other half of the car.

i saw enough fatal wrecks in my 8 years on the police force and fire department to last 10 lifetimes.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Must be the luckiest guy alive, been out there for 48 years never really ran across anything like that except for once  I was just there stuck in  traffic. I did not walk up to see it was only a couple 100 feet away. Head on with a big rig car driver fell asleep his whole family was with him. I felt so sorry for them. Everybody was fine but the driver was done sucks 

I’ll tell you what fellas I have here lately these people are just getting worse I’ve never seen so many people take so many chances the past few months. Glad I’m almost done I can’t handle any more of these stupid people. Bob

The biggest amount of major motor vehicle accidents I come across, and there's been to many of them in recent years, are people nodding off on cruise control and drifting into oncoming traffic

Last bad one I found a sedan, full size job clipped a B douple between the fuel tank and drive axles

Hit so hard it folded the aluminium rims in half, tore the  drove axles out on the drivers side

The tail shaft out of the truck was hundreds of meters up the road broken out of the uni

The A trailer (first trailer) tri axles had folded over rims on the front two axles and the back trailer was untouched

Truck driver had pulled fully off the bitumen 

Bloke in the car was in a mess amd had no idea what was going on, he had left Broken Hill that afternoon and I found them a few miles north of Hattah 

Bloke stuck in the car was trying to reach the outside door handle, it was missing as was the door skin, told him not worry about it, he was with it enough to tell me he had left Broken Hill that afternoon 

A bloody mess 

Screenshot_20230902-114755_Maps.thumb.jpg.448b5afb29417a04648430daa3577054.jpg

Stuff goes wrong so quickly and some times you can never put the pieces together again

That was the second one of those I came across in 18 months

Other one was on the road from Mildura to Robinvale, just as bad maybe worse, bloke in the car was gurgling pretty bad and bones were hanging out of his arm, that ine shocked me for a long time afterwards 

No phone reception in these spots so help is easily a hour or more away and theres not a lot we can fo to help some trapped, disconnect the battery and hope it doesn't catch fire

Paul

Paul, our biggest problem on this side of the world is the smarter then make cars, the stupider the drivers get. 

we have many many many fatal wrecks because the drivers put the cars on "auto pilot" and than stop paying attention. 

one noted one a few years ago was a Tesla executive that put his car on auto pilot and then started watching a movie. 

a tractor trailer made a turn, and the car drove under it killing the occupant. 

• Like 2

I second what tjc said, I also think people being on cellphones while driving plays a major role in many accidents now. Everybody is totally disconnected when driving these days. Here is a pretty scary video that shows just how disconnected most people are nowadays, this was from 2021 in L.A

I remember that … in the past  3 months  ive had 2 motorcycle pass me in the shoulder because they couldn’t wait long enough for the car passing me and 1 pickup passed in the shoulder the truck I was passing … unbelievable….  I am surprised there’s not more fatalities then there is…. Bob 

that video is amazing and very sad..  its like those drivers were not looking any further ahead, then over the edge of the hood. Here on I-85 its no different.  I'm glad that I dont need to use the Interstates anymore. 

• Like 2

i see it every day. last friday i had to go 90 miles south on the NJ turnpike. in the rain. 

i was right lane 55 mph. when it got bad i dropped down to 40 with strobes on. 

and idiots were still running 75 plus. with 200 foot visibility.

why? because they work for nothing getting paid by the load,

if they don't speed and drive recklessly, they don't make any money.  

• Sad 1

People are crazy I drive a ram 5500 service truck for work I drive the speed limit 55 on the interstate people fly by me and then you get the People that when the do fly by you they swerve right in front of you and almost tear your bumper off 

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

I get the same thing all day. Cars trucks campers .. Fedex has an alarm on our dashboard that lights up and beeps when you’re too close a lot of times it goes up off that’s how close they pull in in front of me ,,, like really assclown ????? ignorant SOB’s Bob .

On 8/23/2023 at 7:23 PM, tjc transport said:

yup. drunk fell in front of a bus driving down the highway. had to pick up the pieces. 

another one missed at turn on a 35 mph road........at around 120. when we finally got to the car after digging half the collapse building he ended up in, we thought oh great, we have two bodies in the car because there was a set of feet next to the visible head in the crushed car. nope only the driver....bent in half and lower body twisted 180.

or the guy that ran a red light and got t-boned. 

trying ot calm him telling him he will be alrite.........but wondering why he is not already dead because the lower half of his body is 8 foot away with the other half of the car.

i saw enough fatal wrecks in my 8 years on the police force and fire department to last 10 lifetimes.

years back as a volunteer fireman we were fighting a brush fire when a call came in for a bad wreck center of town, I got in chief car and we headed to scene. got there before ambulance crew: they were a volunteer group also at the time. seems a father with his wife and three daughters went to pass a car on straight away unaware of a car pulling out of side road. he swerved ;car went down an embankment and wrapped around a tree. I got out of car to see a little girl laying in the road mumbling = they say she couldn't cry due to so many broken teeth. I went down embankment to help carry stretcher with father on it. heading toward the car someone yells out DON"T LOOK IN THERE . to this day glad I didn't. daughters in back were unrecognizable . two daughters and wife dead at the scene. I do my best to avoid that road even today .my stomach gets sick to point of throwing up. find myself swerving to side as to not "run over that little girl" ; always wondering if she survived.

• Like 1

That’s horrible around 1965 we were going to IGA for candy on our bikes little girl just got mowed down by a pickup old international they already had taken the dead girl off we never saw her thank god but blood on the road and police were questioning the driver … till this day I cannot forget the entire scene and exactly what that pickup looked like we were all horrified mainly driver was a grouchy old gleep and really didn’t seem moved by this at all