Mack B873sx restoration

56 minutes ago, 1961H67 said:

I bought a gallon, this is the brand. I have used aircraft stripper in the past, it also worked well, I don’t think any of them works as good as they used to ( probably took the “Good “ stuff out of it!) 

IMG_1762.png

That seems to be the problem with most chemicals these days they made it all earth friendly now I don’t work… bob

Sometimes with stripper, it helps to scratch into the paint with some 40 grit sandpaper.  Not so much as to sand it , but to get some deep scratches into the paint being stripped. It helps the stripper do it's thing. Espesially if there's several coats of paint to remove.

• Like 2

One note of caution with soda, it must be neutralized before primer is applied.  This can be done with soapy water.

We use the paint stripper in some cases, have to be careful to keep it out of seams otherwise it can leach back to the primed area and lift everything off.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Needs some help here.I know there are some of you that have done body and paint work.I’m basically hand sanding the cab of my b87 tractor.I have a picture of some of the sanding I’ve done,my question is am I wasting my time or am doing good.I would like to give the body and paint guy a sanded cab and fenders.Would like to save money on some of the prep work and spend it on the paint,I won’t be priming and thing so he sees what he’s getting no hidden secrets.What’s everyone thinking?

IMG_0367.jpeg

IMG_0366.jpeg

That looks like a decent base to hand off to someone. Nothing hiding there to discover later. You'll need to spray it with something to keep the surface rust off it before he starts. I can only zoom in on a little of that gutter above the driver's door, but it doesn't look too bad and might be reworked. If the other side isn't too bad you could use it to form some short sections of round stock to fit and then use them as dollies on the other side. Weld some flat stock to them to create a handle and then use a body hammer to reform them. But, if you're sending it out, a good body man should be able to work on them. If you think they're too deformed/damaged, then some donors would be in order like you said. Soda blasting would really get that clean, in and out. The plus side of soda is that the residue it leaves on the bare metal will preserve it short term before body work starts.

Matt,here in se pa we have a restoration supply shop by the name Eastwood,great place.They have a product they claims it will prevent surface rust for up to a year.On the rain gutter if I could get 2 pieces I think that would be the quickest fix.

I have a junk B model cab that you could have the gutters if you too them off.  They are outside of Pottstown. I have not looked at in some time. Maybe they at no good. 
mike 

The UTECH primer can be followed up shortly with paint, but if you wait more than I think a week it gets too hard for the paint to bond, so you'd have to scuff the primer down to give the paint something to stick to.

• Like 1

You can UTECH epoxy primer that thing and stick it outside in the rain for 10 years and you want have a spot of rust on it so long as you dewaxed everything so you dont have any fisheyes in the primer, and you managed to get every bit of metal covered.

• Like 1

Not sure what dents this cab has, I can't see any.  If you know a good body guy that could moonlight a couple hours for you filling them in/sanding them down after work then you'd be well on your way to paint.

*Dewaxing should happen right before primer and paint! Then don't touch it, the oils from your hands will transfer and cause fisheyes. 

• Like 1