Mack B873sx restoration

12 hours ago, JoeH said:

Build a paint booth out of poly plastic around that thing and get a painter in there and get some primer on that cab!

Needs to be wiped down with a wax/degreaser removing solvent before priming. 

I use 2 coats of UTECH epoxy primer, and follow it up an hour later with UTECH single stage paint.  

Here's the booth I made in February in my shop to prep/paint a cab for a truck that rolled over in November.

KIMG1847.thumb.JPG.b477f8c58cd355ad29c5aa14b2e2fae9.JPG

There's a cardboard filter box attached to a ventilator fan, blowing air through poly stapled to a 2x4.  I put more filters at the discharge end of poly tube, and that caught some paint. No idea how much paint made it into the atmosphere, I was busy inside the booth while the filters were working!

The old cab is on the left, it caught a tree on its way into the ditch.

Wow, that’s pretty much what I was going to do …. Similar for temporary spraying… bob

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hicrop10 said:

When you can’t work construction due to rain you can always tell the boss you won’t be in have some real work to be done.Here’s a couple of before and after shot.

IMG_0371.jpeg

IMG_0372.jpeg

am I seeing a wood floor in your shop?? that must keep much dampness out  ;; nice . excellent work on the B also.

If humidity is an issue in your shop air you can run it the air through 20 to 30 ft of metal pipe before the air hits the hose, this should allow any humidity in the compressed air to condensate before it gets to the hose. You'll want a purge valve (just a regular ball valve) on a vertical drop of pipe near the air hose coupling to be able to blow any excess moisture out as it collects.  Blowing moisture with you paint is horrible, I have to use the air hose on the far side of the garage from the compressor to paint.  The air goes 40ft across the ceiling through a metal pipe then drops 12 ft down from the ceiling to the air hose connections. By the time the air gets to the hose there's negligible humidity in it.

• Like 1

Is there any difference between the B80’s and the B60’s cabs other then the lip under the drivers seat of the B80’s.My reason for asking is the two panels that I have the sanding disc on are not original,but they do work so I will most likely leave them in.If someone out there would have a cab for a B80 series laying around I would like to get a look at it.

IMG_0375.jpeg

IMG_0374.jpeg

IMG_0373.jpeg

• Like 1

I think I probably might have mentioned this before. I don’t think most of us thought you were going to get so deep into this project. That’s excellent. Many pets on the back ha ha coming along nice thanks for letting us know…. Bob

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 8:29 PM, JoeH said:

If humidity is an issue in your shop air you can run it the air through 20 to 30 ft of metal pipe before the air hits the hose, this should allow any humidity in the compressed air to condensate before it gets to the hose. You'll want a purge valve (just a regular ball valve) on a vertical drop of pipe near the air hose coupling to be able to blow any excess moisture out as it collects.  Blowing moisture with you paint is horrible, I have to use the air hose on the far side of the garage from the compressor to paint.  The air goes 40ft across the ceiling through a metal pipe then drops 12 ft down from the ceiling to the air hose connections. By the time the air gets to the hose there's negligible humidity in it.

my metal building (30x50) with insulation had basically same air set=up with the compressor in a 45ft trailer parked tight to building;; less noise . piping (3/4 pipe) coming down both sides of shop went to a tee fitting at bottom with 12 in +- extensions having drain valves. air tool fittings were at the tee . any moisture coming down side wall pipes went lower then air tool fittings. also directly off compressor was a manifold consisting of water separator/ oiler/ regulators. painting things such as a B -80  worked well . everything in the building rusted but the air was dry.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 10:35 PM, mowerman said:

Oh, that’s the truth. I got 19 more weeks before partial retirement. I can’t wait to have more time on my hands to accomplish all kinds of stuff and.Hi Paul lol bob

hope your semi-retirement is different then most! will be interesting after 8-10 months of retirement to up date us with " how much more time you have"  !!LOL I try to hide from the world and I'm still found. yesterday was rear wheel bearing on grandsons jeep == yea an all day freebie job; outside with crap tools and no pullers. and the three days a week of "be at the bus stop (35 minutes away) to get daughters youngster from school and -----! never mind. get back to topic.

Well my plan  is to jump on the Mack mainly but yes my house needs a lotta attention and I’m sure every command will start with,,,, since you have more time than I !!!!!!!!!…………. Blew a tire yesterday,,,, almost 13 hrs again… and high crop have a swinging time I would like to be there myself I haven’t been down there and 44 years… last time I was at a wedding at Sebring 1980. Bob

• Haha 1