Finally some DM progress

Go to solution Solved by mowerman,

I would not buy tires until you need them. They will age just sitting. If you have 10.00x 20's you will not have a problem finding them when the time comes. If you want to go tubeless, most sizes will not be too hard to find, new or re-con rims would be needed.

My tire shop will re con rims, (blast and paint) cheaper than I can do it. I must admit I never gave them a tube type to do, as I didn't trust them not to loose or mis match the lock rings when I got the rim back. IIRC it was $45 to blast and paint, might have been $35

I preferred tires made in S Korea or one of the other SE Asia countries over China, Most countries down there mfg tires. I stuck with Khumo's or Hankook's but I was running them commercially.  I have been running tube types long enough to have had Goodyear and BF Goodrich tube types, but they stopped making them in the 90's I think.

If you not loading them, and just going to shows, the cheap China imports will likely do.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Bob, honestly I wouldn't buy new tyres before blast/paint rims and hubs. Or at least figure the exact plan on how to do that and when. If you're with Budds it's easier but if there are spokes (as I expect for a DM and your taste) you would probably need a media blast crue to dirt up your yard. Or drive the truck to different place for and keep it there on stands for the time the hubs are cleaned and painted. Doing that way you better have new tyres already fitted on new/repainted rims though to throw them on the truck right there. So tyres may be seen of reason to purchase earlier indeed. But anyway keeping them in mind makes sence keeping in mind all the wheel story together.

Another option is removing hubs and blast/paint them separately. This is the way I do. But you would need to remove all bearings, wash them, inspect, and if they're good just new seals would be on the list. You would also need washing through the bearing cavits (otherwise you'd do that anyway to remove grease with sand) or fabricate solid steel covers (by a lathe?) and cover the inside of the hubs with them using sealer. So the truck needs to be kept on stands for all the time. 

Ok, there's one more option. Purchasing of a spare set of hubs to play with them keeping the truck on its own. Recently I like that approach too but aside of need of additional iron in the yard you get risk of miss matching bearings or other mating moments using parts from aside.

Thanks for that vlad I’m figuring on doing all of it together…. Rims are all in pretty good shape they look like they were all new somewhere along the line hubs I’m just going to rough it out with paint remover thanks again for your input thier all coming off so bead blasting is definitely an option… bob

• Like 1

Also wanted to add the hubs do not really have a whole lot of paint layers  front or rear so should clean up pretty easy not a whole lot going on this weekend should be able to take a big bite out of that nose possibility complete all the stripping wooooooohoooooo

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mowerman said:

And guys as far as any work with this thing probably not going to happen I’ll be damn happy just to live long enough to drive it out of here all done lol

If I was a little younger, I would figure the route. Matt took … tilt bed ,,, still not entirely out of the question. Great idea for retrieving field finds … Bob

Most people in Australia just clean the spider up when it is still on the axle

Easier to rotate and handle

Plenty of people used to buy rag tyres and store them for 12 months to harden up before using them, much better wear

Dunno, it's all getting exciting as things progress

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks for that paul Not sure what I’m gonna do today   Weather is going south around here real quick and losing my drive real quick on account of it but yes more nose work for sure and hopefully finish the prep work or at least show  a hell of an  effort     Bob 

As far as the spiders, I am going to pull them all apart anyway for seal replacement and grease and inspection  I found a brand new chrome ceiling fan in my workshop last weekend while I was looking for something else it’s still in my box. I have no idea where it came from but I’ll go and put it in. I think it’ll be a nice touch not sure if I’m gonna put it on a dashboard or ceiling 

• Haha 1

Thanks for that paul Not sure what I’m gonna do today   Weather is going south around here real quick and losing my drive real quick on account of it but yes more work on the frozen bolts again try to move them wouldn’t budge attempted to drill out busted to drill bits looks like I hope to use your idea Paul chop a hole in the fiberglass, pull out the plate and use nuts and washers pissed about the broken bits because it was drilling through real easy like I thought.  Oooooooooooo well plan c lol

Bob, if I remember correctly, I think I cut a slit in the fiber glass from the rear and man handled the fiber glass out 

Then I seem to remember I got a piece of 3/16" stainless plate and drilled and tapped threads on the correct spots and slid that in

I know the stainless bit is correct, and I  got some 2 pack resin type of deal and stuck it all in place

Mal had already painted the bonnet and was thousands of km away when I discovered the threaded bits were stuffed, so plan "D" or "E" was needed lol 

I just sort of made it up on the run and it has been fine for 100's of thousands of km since

Paul

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mowerman said:

As far as the spiders, I am going to pull them all apart anyway for seal replacement and grease and inspection  I found a brand new chrome ceiling fan in my workshop last weekend while I was looking for something else it’s still in my box. I have no idea where it came from but I’ll go and put it in. I think it’ll be a nice touch not sure if I’m gonna put it on a dashboard or ceiling 

If so look for a shop which could blast and paint one or two spiders at a time for you. They're heavy so easier to not work out all the lot at once. Also might worth looking for a "seasonal worker" who could come to your place once in a week, for example on Saturday and do some jobs like taking a hub off, washing it and prepping for further make up.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Paint stripper will be your friend with spiders 

After all the castings aren't that flash, I wouldn't waist my money on sandblasting them

Drop them off, if it needs a new drum drop t he drum off as well

If no new drum is needed then paint stripper and pressure wash, then paint and they should be like they left the factory

Paul 

• Like 1

ya like i mentioned they reallydont have a whole lotta build up for its age,im still furious over those broken drill bits.........had one of the bolts completely drilled though,,,,,but now i cant do shit without pulling that plate out,,,guess i shouldnt be too upset im pretty much reworking most of the fiberglass anyway,.that nose is so rough,,whats one more issue?????lol.atleast it will be right!!!!!!!!..bob

You betcha bud I’ve been trying to do a little bit each weekend, but I owe it all to h67 and Matt I really didn’t do anything worth bragging this weekend, but I did get around to finally pulling that ugly ass bent up bumper off but I am way overtired of looking at 

12 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

If there's any metal to hook a earth lead to weld a nut on

Wet rag to cool the area immediately after welding

Paul 

No thier almost flush with the fiberglass barely enough to put vice grips on and twist. They’re not budging running out of choices. Ha ha the drill there almost worked.