Yellow

I started driving in  1969 for a union company where my father had worked since 1949 and was the shop steward. I got layed off in 1972 during the recession then and worked non-union jobs because no union jobs were available. I moved to Florida in 1986 and landed a union job until the company folded and left Florida in 1988. Again no union jobs so I found another job until I retired in 2011 and hung up the keys. Good while it lasted but never any help from the union.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2024 at 3:09 AM, BOBWhite said:

Looks like they're getting around to liquidating all the equipment here in a couple of months: https://www.rbauction.com/?keywords=equipment-from-yellow-corp

Most of it will probably leave the country but I hope some people here can get some good deals. I'd love to get a cheep forklift but all the terminals are too far away. 

Over 8,000 items!  Something for everyone…

😎

Yes, I started at union but I couldn’t agree with you more. They certainly go overboard and went too far. I can’t hardly blame these companies. I work for a wonderful company Fedex Freight they take care of us really good. Nobody here  is even interested. Frankly , I would like a little bit of  representation but not teamsters as far as I’m concerned they sold us all out in 1980 bob

• Like 1

My Grandpa and his drivers battled with the Teamsters back when Hoffa came into Power. Alot of Innocent Non-Union Drivers lost their lives due to the Strikers trying to shut them down....Even after the Contract was signed that the Non-Union drivers wanted nothing to do with the Strike etc and just wanted to haul steel and Provide for their Families......I've dealt with Union companies over the years and honestly I can't stand their Sense of entitlement and arrogance. I've even crossed picket lines to because my company had nothing to do with the Strike I was just doing my Job.....

became a union member in '71. Mack was an open shop ( some union some not. ). new contract going to make Mack closed shop=all union. also initiation to union going from $25.oo (yes twenty five dollars) to $100.oo. ;monthly = why spend another $75.oo . dues were $5.oo. todays numbers in the hundreds to join with monthly ????.  I will say I got my money back with all the medical expense I had. unfortunately as posted above money/ greed ruined everything.  they did manage to "screw me over " last   job  I had was union company NOT union pension. short version = had meeting with pension crooks to be told : company not contributing to pension so I will loose $200.oo a MONTH !!  after 36 yrs paying dues. total 38 yrs in union ; first two years apparently money for pension was "LOST " some where. 200 a month have been retired since 2017 . figure the math. 

3 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

became a union member in '71. Mack was an open shop ( some union some not. ). new contract going to make Mack closed shop=all union. also initiation to union going from $25.oo (yes twenty five dollars) to $100.oo. ;monthly = why spend another $75.oo . dues were $5.oo. todays numbers in the hundreds to join with monthly ????.  I will say I got my money back with all the medical expense I had. unfortunately as posted above money/ greed ruined everything.  they did manage to "screw me over " last   job  I had was union company NOT union pension. short version = had meeting with pension crooks to be told : company not contributing to pension so I will loose $200.oo a MONTH !!  after 36 yrs paying dues. total 38 yrs in union ; first two years apparently money for pension was "LOST " some where. 200 a month have been retired since 2017 . figure the math. 

OUCH!!!!

10 minutes ago, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

OUCH!!!!

didn't turn out all bad . last company non union pension (which I won't name but they do sell a lot of soda in those red trucks) had their own  pension/ 401 K system which to my surprise paid out almost 10 K for every year of service. I was employed 7 years = do that math. happy day when that check showed up. went a bought a whole 6 pack of soda. LOL

• Like 1

Like you said Mecho, they were cats ass  when going strong with 70s high wages hundred percent medical dental vision representation I think the peanut farmer was the beginning of the end. I’m still that asshole had a lot to do with the deregulation. And the big fall of everything 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

didn't turn out all bad . last company non union pension (which I won't name but they do sell a lot of soda in those red trucks) had their own  pension/ 401 K system which to my surprise paid out almost 10 K for every year of service. I was employed 7 years = do that math. happy day when that check showed up. went a bought a whole 6 pack of soda. LOL

Well I'm glad it didn't 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2024 at 5:44 AM, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

My Grandpa and his drivers battled with the Teamsters back when Hoffa came into Power. Alot of Innocent Non-Union Drivers lost their lives due to the Strikers trying to shut them down....Even after the Contract was signed that the Non-Union drivers wanted nothing to do with the Strike etc and just wanted to haul steel and Provide for their Families......I've dealt with Union companies over the years and honestly I can't stand their Sense of entitlement and arrogance. I've even crossed picket lines to because my company had nothing to do with the Strike I was just doing my Job.....

you know its too bad,innocent folks got to get hurt or killed with violence,,,unfortunately peaceful demonstrations in this weird country dont ever get anybody anywhere....bloodshed seems to be the way one gets anything passed....and yes i hear you loud and clear about way over board  entilements,,,towards the end of a great opertunity to better yourself at one time...bob,,,,sorry my spelling is not correct,,,generally i check spell everything 

• Like 1