It's quiet in here.

I've been cussing up a storm today. Wife got a text that the travel trailer was ready to be picked up. Brand new unit, had a couple minor things that needed attention. Anyway, one of those things was they were supposed to drop in a 2nd battery we'd asked for and run the jumper wires. The box was already on there. So what did they do? Run 4 self-tapping screws through the bottom of the plastic battery box into the steel battery tray. Keep in mind, the OTHER battery box was still just setting in there held by the strap...just like it was when we originally bought the trailer. Why they felt the need to screw this one on, so tight that the heads of the self-tapping screws had torn the bottom of the box to the point where they weren't actually holding anything in place, just providing 4 real nice soon-to-be rusty sharp points protruding beneath the front of the trailer to find their way into my noggin if I ever have to slide under there to do anything in the future. To top it all off, they didn't even orient the batteries in the same direction. They had the positive terminals on the outside with the grounds in the middle, so they had a long positive jumper and a short little ground jumper. Yes, electrically it's fine...but it looks fucking sloppy. Maybe it's just me, but if there's multiple batteries in a system, they should all be facing the same direction.

So I ended up buying a 3rd battery box, which is different than the other 2 so now I'll be buying a 4th that either matches the other 2 or the new one I just bought. Then I welded up the holes, ground them smooth, wire wheeled the powder coating to smooth it all out before repainiting. Yeah, it looks like crap because the powder coating had a little texture, while the repaired areas are smooth...which is going to piss me off all over again every time I have the battery boxes out and see it...but at least there's no more holes in the tray and no sharp pointy soon-to-be rusty objects poking through. Then I took a pair of cheap 6-gauge jumper cables and made a new jumper wire. I'll probably end up picking up some more ring crinps to solder on to use the bonded jumper cable wire to run out of the batter box to the camper's power & ground...just looks better than the thinner gauge loose wires. Pretty easy to do...just heat 'em up with a torch, fill them with solder, stick the stripped end of the wire in, let it cool, then put some heat-shrink tube on there and hit it with the heat gun to finish it out. Nice, sealed, professional looking cables...not the crappy looking scrap wire with the cheap plastic insulated crimps crimped on so the plastic insulation is cracked & distorted.

Anyway, my wife thinks I over-reacted...that it's no big deal...but she's not the one that was going to end up with a rusty self-tapping screw tearing a hole in her head in a few years. Sad thing is, I'd already done some work on it...safety wired the end caps in the back bumper, added some reverse lights, slid the spare tire over, and added a receiver hitch to the back bumper to carry the cargo rack that'll hold the generator & a couple gas cans. If they'd paid attention to the quality of work I do myself, they'd know what I expect. Maybe I just shouldn't have anyone else working on mystuff...but most of what we were having them do was warranty work, so why should I do it?

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

why should you do it? 

because no one gives a damn about quality of work anymore. it is all about getting it done as fast and cheaply as possible. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I'm with TJC..  I hope your blood pressure is back down by now.. I'm sure you know it only gets worse. I was getting pissed while reading the story..  I hope you enjoy the camper soon..  jojo

• Like 1

To add to this,  I have found myself, sort-of, giving in at times, because, any extra effort I would put into providing good service, could be reversed by the actions of my leaders.. Giving a customer a good repair, gets lost when the company wants every penny for the job, and the pennies that were lost on a previous job that had nothing to do with the current customer.. This crap also causes the consumer to be difficult to deal with, for example when I was in business..  They expected me to do it super cheap because the Dealership screwed them.  Well, my knowledge isn't as cheap as they want it to be.. anyway, I believe it is a circle of B.S. that starts with a greedy service provider..  Just my opinion, and 1 example..  

• Like 1
  • Like 1

ii very rarely go out on truck rental.

but when i do i drive just like i am working for my company. slow and safe. 

first time with a company they would bitch and moan because i was getting passed by trucks. go faster!!!. 

nope. if you dont like the way i drive sign me out. 

yet at the end of the day i usually end up doing one or two more loads than everyone else, because i do not take 45 minute coffee breaks and 1.5 hour lunches. i grab my food/drinks and go, eating while driving or while sitting on the job waiting to load or unload.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Worst part is, if they'd JUST done the bare minimum...drop the battery in the box, run a couple jumpers, & strap it back down, I wouldn't have been all that aggrevated about the orientation or crap crimps...they were installing the extra battery we were buying for free since it was there for the other work...one burner on the stove wouldn't ignite on its own, but would after the other 2 were going...drawers & cabinet doors wouldn't stay closed WHILE EMPTY on the short drive home from the dealer...and the power jack on the front is supposed to have a light, but the light quit working before we even got it home. Like I said, all warranty work except for the 2nd battery (which was supposed to be on when we took delivery, but word didn't get passed along to the guy prepping it).

Anyway, pissed off the wife last night...THOUGHT I ws doing good, too. Unloaded the dishwasher & went through the boxes of dishes we got from my grandma...LOTS of tupperware cups, bowls, and microwave & oven safe (just not broiler or range top) cookware. I figured it'd be great for the camper...not breakable, light weight, etc...and loaded up a load to get it cleaned up (they've been out in the garage for a year or so). She gets home & opens the dishwasher and says "those are ugly". Sure, they're kind of a dark yellowy tan color...not my 1st choice either (or 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th for that matter)...but they were free, won't break, and still work just fine. Funny thing is, she thinks they'll be fine for the house...just not the camper.🤦‍♂️

Wimmins.🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

4 hours ago, tjc transport said:

ii very rarely go out on truck rental.

but when i do i drive just like i am working for my company. slow and safe. 

first time with a company they would bitch and moan because i was getting passed by trucks. go faster!!!. 

nope. if you dont like the way i drive sign me out. 

yet at the end of the day i usually end up doing one or two more loads than everyone else, because i do not take 45 minute coffee breaks and 1.5 hour lunches. i grab my food/drinks and go, eating while driving or while sitting on the job waiting to load or unload.

LOL! Can't think about rental cars/trucks without thinking about Jeff Foxworthy's bit about 'em...

😂

That this story was hilarious Bubba and yes they do not sound very appealing to me either color wise. Perfect for the camper. No wait a minute here. How old is this camper? I thought it was brand new. I’m confused about the loose cabinet doors.

45 minutes ago, RowdyRebel said:

Worst part is, if they'd JUST done the bare minimum...drop the battery in the box, run a couple jumpers, & strap it back down, I wouldn't have been all that aggrevated about the orientation or crap crimps...they were installing the extra battery we were buying for free since it was there for the other work...one burner on the stove wouldn't ignite on its own, but would after the other 2 were going...drawers & cabinet doors wouldn't stay closed WHILE EMPTY on the short drive home from the dealer...and the power jack on the front is supposed to have a light, but the light quit working before we even got it home. Like I said, all warranty work except for the 2nd battery (which was supposed to be on when we took delivery, but word didn't get passed along to the guy prepping it).

Anyway, pissed off the wife last night...THOUGHT I ws doing good, too. Unloaded the dishwasher & went through the boxes of dishes we got from my grandma...LOTS of tupperware cups, bowls, and microwave & oven safe (just not broiler or range top) cookware. I figured it'd be great for the camper...not breakable, light weight, etc...and loaded up a load to get it cleaned up (they've been out in the garage for a year or so). She gets home & opens the dishwasher and says "those are ugly". Sure, they're kind of a dark yellowy tan color...not my 1st choice either (or 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th for that matter)...but they were free, won't break, and still work just fine. Funny thing is, she thinks they'll be fine for the house...just not the camper.🤦‍♂️

Wimmins.🤷‍♂️

🙄

2 hours ago, RowdyRebel said:

LOL! Can't think about rental cars/trucks without thinking about Jeff Foxworthy's bit about 'em...

😂

That guy is hilarious. Thanks for that. I think that’s the same guy that said you couldn’t tell if you’re a redneck if you have six cars and the only thing mobile is your home.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 2:58 PM, other dog said:

Thought you might know, since you actually have a 1958 FWD, maybe you could help young Casey from Hellertown out with his project.

You both have forgotten that he already has a 671T in the Hahn. But if I could afford it, I'd replace that with a 237 Maxidyne tomorrow and melt down the weedeater motor into a pool of slag, 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS