In 73 they started coming out with a cab that was 3" longer behind the doors. Around here the old cabs all rotted away years ago. The short grab handles are a dead giveaway. That truck should have a steel dash and the parking brake valves mounted on the back wall between the seats. They're really neat and you seldom see them anymore.

• Like 2

I drove an early R700 a little bit.  Had the V-8 Maxidyne with the 6-speed Extended Range Maxitorque transmission.  It was the early cab, like that one.  About a '70-71...had the darker green interior.  That thing was a beast.  But, the Maxitorque took some getting used to, since I was used to the 18-speed.  I kept wanting to shift too quickly!  The view over that longer nose was really something.  Felt like there was a mobile home sticking out the front of the cab!

That one does LOOK like a western model.  Maybe can find out more as you go.  Looks like a great find.  Love the flat-back, all-steel, green-on-the-inside cabs.

Look forward to seeing more on this one.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Thanks for all the info guys. I did confirm that my driver is going to load it this weekend so I hope I will have it in my crosshairs mid to late next week. Cannot wait to crawl over it and get some solid info. The cab interior is all steel and luxurious pale green😍 I will post pictures when I get it here and can take some in person. I never thought much of it when guys will buy a truck at an auction, sight unseen just going by pictures but I just now joined that crowd. However, if I would have flown out and looked at it first I woulda spent more on tickets than I paid for the truck so who is losing here 🐶

doubleclutchinweasel    I was wondering if there was any R700's that came with a V8, thanks for that info. I was previously under the impression that superliners were the only trucks with that option. Also I am not convinced this unit has a big cam... It is a Cummins but the guys that were selling are just the auction company and I'm not convinced they know enough about older motors to properly identify it 🤷‍♀️

Edited by fiveseven0trkr
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

now this is a post that will attract a lot of attention. many here will be looking for picture up dates I'm sure. all the ideas follow through that will make one fine looking tractor. :SMOKIE-RT:

Oh boy now you're making me nervous lolol, I will definitely be taking lots of pictures but this isn't going to be a six digit, every nut-and-bolt, frame off restoration. Cause there isn't six digits available to make it happen. lol.

I'm hoping to have a lot of fun with it and end up with a somewhat user friendly sleeper truck. But I currently have my Marmon tore down for a motor rebuild and just got the motor back. After that's stuck together and making revenue again, this ol Mack is next!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, fiveseven0trkr said:

doubleclutchinweasel    I was wondering if there was any R700's that came with a V8, thanks for that info.

There's build numbers published on this but I think a lot of  R700s were built with Mack or Detroit V8s. Lots of "vendor engines" put into the 700 series R models. I think the holy grail would be to find one with a 1693 Cat or the big, purple Allis Chalmers engine if such animals were ever built....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I drove an early R700 a little bit.  Had the V-8 Maxidyne with the 6-speed Extended Range Maxitorque transmission.  It was the early cab, like that one.  About a '70-71...had the darker green interior.  That thing was a beast.  But, the Maxitorque took some getting used to, since I was used to the 18-speed.  I kept wanting to shift too quickly!  The view over that longer nose was really something.  Felt like there was a mobile home sticking out the front of the cab!

That one does LOOK like a western model.  Maybe can find out more as you go.  Looks like a great find.  Love the flat-back, all-steel, green-on-the-inside cabs.

Look forward to seeing more on this one.

What would classify it as a western model?

Just now, fiveseven0trkr said:

Built in the Hayward, California assembly plant. They had some small differences and model designation numbers. Some of them had aluminum frames. Built for what the West Coast desired at the time. Most of them had Budd wheels in lieu of Daytons. Battery boxes were different. Things like that. 

3 minutes ago, fiveseven0trkr said:

Let's see...

Was it the RS and RL models?  Pretty sure it was.  Also, I think the grille was different...had the "horse collar" around it...like "The Duck".

Some of the more experienced guys here will have way more details on the western stuff than I do.

image.png.de47cc1b477cde19f4fa51a3a311b71c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, fiveseven0trkr said:

Thanks for all the info guys. I did confirm that my driver is going to load it this weekend so I hope I will have it in my crosshairs mid to late next week (this particular driver did not get his driving training from Monfort 😆) Cannot wait to crawl over it and get some solid info. The cab interior is all steel and luxurious pale green😍 I will post pictures when I get it here and can take some in person. I never thought much of it when guys will buy a truck at an auction, sight unseen just going by pictures but I just now joined that crowd. However, if I would have flown out and looked at it first I woulda spent more on tickets than I paid for the truck so who is losing here 🐶

doubleclutchinweasel    I was wondering if there was any R700's that came with a V8, thanks for that info. I was previously under the impression that superliners were the only trucks with that option. Also I am not convinced this unit has a big cam... It is a Cummins but the guys that were selling are just the auction company and I'm not convinced they know enough about older motors to properly identify it 🤷‍♀️

Lots of engine options.  See the brochure below.  Think this was about 1972.  There are Mack (864) and Cummins (903) V-8s listed there.

image.thumb.png.f0022d9328f7180be45feae373dfc4e9.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

Built in the Hayward, California assembly plant. They had some small differences and model designation numbers. Some of them had aluminum frames. Built for what the West Coast desired at the time. Most of them had Budd wheels in lieu of Daytons. Battery boxes were different. Things like that. 

The battery box (I think) is a pretty quick visual clue.  That's the first thing that triggered "west coast" in my mind when I saw the original picture.

• Like 1

Judging by the pic it's RS700 definitely made in Hayward not Eastern R700. Has straight frame rails front to end, fuel tanks with "stepped" shape of the bottoms and front end appearance as the Duck truck had. Actually it would look almost like Duck if put a sleeper and paint black. 

Interesting example definitely. Good luck on the project and we all waiting to see more pics.

Vlad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 4/27/2023 at 9:01 AM, fiveseven0trkr said:

Thanks mowerman. didn't see it in person yet just going by description and pictures. I might be mistaken about the big cam, will find out soon 🧐

Also I'm gonna display my ignorance but what is the plus 3 cab?

Change to a Big Cam is a easy swap. After so many years, maybe it is by now ?

• Like 1

Thanks mechohaulic we really like that trailer  53' with 2 lift axles so it's easy to make it Cali legal.   truck fired up  and drove on the trailer under its own power! yes height was measured, it was 14' from the earth to the tip of the exhaust pipe so he removed the muffler and stack and it is now under 13'6"  ,  stacks on the Kenworth are 12'4" so it makes  the load appear tall.

Should I take this off the introduction forum?

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Interesting with the Cummings motor the breather is usually square I had a western myself my doors were aluminum . That’s terrific that it runs good for you. You must be foaming at the mouth to get it to your place. I know we all would be ha ha.. Bob