That's Just Funny Right There...

other dog

9 hours ago, Terry T said:

Way back in the day I delivered to Central Indiana Hardware in Ft Wayne & Indy, IN.  The Indy location at the time was in a building that looked like a strip mall in front with an alley in the back and was cramped but easy to hit until the neighbor was doing renovations and a roll-off box was dropped to the east of the dock.  I got out of my truck just as the whse guy was pulling out the ground level door with the forklift. He stopped, looked, with a puzzled look and as I got to him he asked "how'd you do that?"  I said it's just like parallel parking. He then told me that Yellow was just there with his Ford C & little city trailer and the driver told him there was no way he was going to get in there.  

Tight Squeeze 1.JPG

Tight Squeeze 2.JPG

You've done well, would of been a struggle for me, but apart from loading cattle on the odd occasion I never back into anything to load or unload

That been said when hauling sugar can I would back into the siding to load and unload the can train bins (wagons) maybe 50 times a day, I had to line the rails up each time qnd that was relatively easy, mindbyou it was in the open with no traffic or onlookers, very different and the truck was a rigid or body truck so not even in the same category 

You blokes are pretty handy at this stuff

Paul 

• Like 1

Yes, it does look like you have plenty of room to pull up in the first shot…… MAY  company downtown Los Angeles hardest I’ve ever seen in my life no room at all to pull up come in from the good side but you have to run over the curb and do it in one shot cement, pillar one side , and other trailer next to it only been there once got it in relatively easy but there was absolutely no room for mistakes

back in the late 70's i would make a delivery once a week to a small supermarket in the middle of an even smaller town. 

loading dock was 50 foot down a 11 foot wide alley. everyone would make deliveries there with a straight job truck, or step vans at the front door. 

since all i had was a single axle tractor and 40 foot trailer, that is what i used. to get into the alley i would have to drive over the curb and up the steps of the police station across the street.

first time i did it the police chief came into the store and out the back to #1: give me crap for driving over the curb and up HIS steps. 

then #2; tell me he never seen anyone drive a truck like that before without hitting anything and stick it in the hole in one shot, 

than #3 to ask me to please give him a heads up whenever i was coming into town so he could have his men close the street for me. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

That's the job I miss the most!! Logging!!! Backin down dozer made paths for almost a mile or flyin into an untilled cornfield at 70mph to make our own road to git to the Prentice loader to get the first load out!! Oh yeah fun times!!! Or the time I had a 379 buried up to the top of the back tires and threw that 15spd deep destruction in to low low low gear and had that Detroit justa screamin but still moving with a full load of logs!! 

I did blindside a 45 footer into a hole F model sleeper cab, two shots. I did get out and look once  to make sure I was lined up and not going to hit anything bunch of guys watching. I got out padding myself on the back they were all aawwed over this . I didn’t tell them I just got lucky.I was only around 25 haha bob

A power mirror on the passenger side makes it much easier to blind side. The Peterbilt I used to drive had a big window in the sleeper too, so by the time I couldn't see the back of the trailer in the mirror anymore I could see it through the sleeper window. The KWs had a window, but they were too low to help with backing up.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Oooooooooooo ya power mirror would been the bomb but that was way before anyone was using them our  trucks all have them now…. Makes it nice especially when everyone can adjust accordingly when I get back in all I have to do is hit the switch instead of having to get out 40 times to find the right spot 

• Haha 2

Nah...just gimme a 2-stack Mack with a window in the back & I'm good. If I need to spend a night out on the road, I'll stop at a Holiday Inn Express (or nicer) & be comfortable. If the run ain't profitable enough to house me comfortably outside of the truck, it's not profitable enough to keep me away from my own bed at home. Haven't slept in a truck in almost 20 years. Don't have plans to start again any time soon.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!