What a Horrible Day

other dog

Yes, very true mechohaulic. I just looked to see if there were any updates, and the driver who was killed was 69 years old. The truck and driver who lost the wheels were found at a nearby truck stop. No details about him, no charges had been filed, it was still under investigation.

• Sad 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

same happened in CT; big rig tire bounced the center barrier, went air born to opposing traffic and killed a woman in car. only common denominator of living things ; man or animal: we all have a start and finish date. never take a minute for granted. such a sad unfortunate moment. 

about 6 years ago we had one where a single wheel came off a trailer and over the center divider and hit a jeep head on. driver of the jeep was an off duty state trooper on his way home from work.

and 20 some years ago about 3 miles from where that one happened a state road dept worker was cutting grass and hit in the back by a set of wheels that came off a flatbed.  i knew the crew boss when it happened. the guy was killed instantly, and Joe was never rite after that. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Man, that’s some shitty luck specially, that poor guy mowing the grass who would  think that a thing is going to happen to you…  since I’m only gonna be out there till next October I often think of stuff like that buying the farm right before I get ready to leave… that would suck big balls Bob

• Like 1

ya know Bob, i have always said when it is your time to leave, it is time and there is nothing we can do to change it. 

it is not like at the deli counter where the person in front of you sees you only have one item on your list and says you go first, i can wait. 

an old friend retired last September. 

three days later Henry dropped dead from a massive heart attack. 

Yes, that sucks that’s what I’m starting to wonder I was going to split at 66 1/2 but I decided to stick around a little while longer to be in a little better financial position like you said you never now and I also really don’t want to drop dead while I’m still working … but then again, I’m thinking once you cross over the other side, you might be thinking what the hell was like trying to hang onto so hard in the  old life my run got canceled this morning on account of too much snow so I’ve got almost nothing to do today but get on here couple of hours. I’m gonna go see if I can mess around in the garage a little bit at least add some more hooks to my pegboard…. Bob

i thought of that but ill be 68 and a half.........thats it....i may stick around and do some loading and yard hostling part time...depending on how my health and ambition holds up.....id rather just leave altogether and jump on that mack and all the other shit i have around here...bob

• Like 2

Sa.e here 

I have 2 cars ans 2 trucks to finish.

The 65 falcon v8 2 door hardtop is about 75% done, and the 88 pickup is about 60% done. Waiting in the wings is a 79 f350 4x4, and the 66 7 litre 4 speed convertible

7 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

Sa.e here 

I have 2 cars ans 2 trucks to finish.

The 65 falcon v8 2 door hardtop is about 75% done, and the 88 pickup is about 60% done. Waiting in the wings is a 79 f350 4x4, and the 66 7 litre 4 speed convertible

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo my,,,, you have got way too much to do.better leave now.....other than the mack everything else is just small engine projects,,,,,that 79 would fit nicely at my place....bob

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 880joe said:

What surprises me is the truck that the duals took out didn't crash into the ditch. Looks like he just parked it on the shoulder of the road

ya i thought of that...atleast leave the pavement at some point....last thing guy did was probably lock the brakes...bob

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tjc transport said:

my current plan to do another 3 years and go out at 70.

that will give me an extra $500 per month. then i will decide if i want to do part time. 

everyone's situation is different. many heated discussions between wife and myself regarding retirement. 1- wait later more money per month But every yr the retirement age seems to go up.2- i've added money lost by waiting vs anticipated  income. 3- every yr a person gets older /can't do as  much . 4-at this rate the $$$ is going to run out. going off topic. 

To me...  You make a lot of sense Mech..   I think I know what I will do.. I bet I go early retirement, and make side money building engines and trannys..  and selling parts at NAPA, to the guys that need to see and older guy behind the counter...  :) Jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
poor sperring..
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

Mrsmackpaul, I didn't want retire at that age but I had no choice and to add insult to injury this last may a guy blew off a stop sign and I hit his truck dead on I was on my can am spyder bike. I lost my teeth broke my jaw, broke my shoulder, broke all the ribs on my left side the surgeon stuck some kind of wire mesh to hold my ribs together, put a hole in my lung, broke my hip, broke a bone in my lower back, got a hole in my skull and had bleeding out and in my brain, I layed in intensive care for over a week out of it.  I guess I have no choice now to stay retired. I'm a really beat up 67 year old senior citizen.

Sad story.  It brings to mind two incidents I responded to during my career.  The first was a working structure fire in a house with an attached garage.  On arrival, there was heavy black smoke pouring out of a gaping hole in the garage door.  A line was taken in the front door to the kitchen and the fire was attacked from the kitchen door to the garage while others removed what was left of the garage door.  When the smoke cleared, there sat the remains of a set of dual wheels off a tractor trailer.  We later found two spots where the duals had bounced before getting to the garage.

Second was a call to injured motorists on the Interstate.  We found the car on the shoulder of the road, up against a wall, with the roof caved in down the center.  The two ladies inside were somewhat banged up and likely had concussions, but they survived.  They had no clue what had hit them until we saw the tire tracks on the roof.  The Police located the wheels quite some distance away.