What a Horrible Day

other dog

On 1/19/2023 at 9:32 AM, BOBWhite said:

The most frustrating part of it is 99% of these accidents can be prevented with a proper pre-trip. Lazy drivers are a menace to society...

This comment is true to some degree ! Just to add to that there are a fare few steering wheel holders out there that haven't a Clue what there looking for OR at! I suspect half don't even check the oil and coolant!

Not gunna add much here except I have lost a set of duals one night around half past 12 in the morning 

I found one tyre and some bolts

But the spacer and the bits that go along with it were never to be seen

Chained the axel up as best I could and crawled on to see the sun rise in the next town a 100 mile further along

20190421_082242.jpg

20190421_082305.jpg

Everyone is a expert until it happens to them

Not saying couldn't of been prevented in my case but I'm not about to shit can someone else when it's all gone horribly wrong 

Paul

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Not gunna add much here except I have lost a set of duals one night around half past 12 in the morning 

I found one tyre and some bolts

But the spacer and the bits that go along with it were never to be seen

Chained the axel up as best I could and crawled on to see the sun rise in the next town a 100 mile further along

20190421_082242.jpg

20190421_082305.jpg

Everyone is a expert until it happens to them

Not saying couldn't of been prevented in my case but I'm not about to shit can someone else when it's all gone horribly wrong 

Paul

Yup agree there Paul ! A lot of guys are just pin to pin and assume the trailer they slam under has brakes and everything is tight and set! in defense of your situation there if you are travelling on back roads and dog trails a lot  shit can happen a lot quicker  Also have seen where on Five spoke hubs the webs can break off on the back side and you would not see them broken or could happen while in transit ! Seen this happen more than once ! When ever I have wheels off these I tend to look for cracks on the flange !  I am Not a fan of five spoke hubs! A six spoke is more durable  That said  However !  You run what you brung!

• Like 1

try working as mechanic for a union company!  drivers attitude " I'm a truck driver , that's the mechanics job to check everything".  based on true experience, fortunately involving an "ole timer driver" ;; i got a phone call middle of night from driver saying "something wrong with wheels on trailer". load my flatbed ford with stuff head out for hr ride. get there to find rear set of duals on trailer sticking out foot or so. grease bearing on 15in wheels. not lack of maintenance. bearing failure. it does happen . I removed wheel set / loaded my truck and chained axle up for trip back to CT, one of the more positive ending stories.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

try working as mechanic for a union company!  drivers attitude " I'm a truck driver , that's the mechanics job to check everything".  based on true experience, fortunately involving an "ole timer driver" ;; i got a phone call middle of night from driver saying "something wrong with wheels on trailer". load my flatbed ford with stuff head out for hr ride. get there to find rear set of duals on trailer sticking out foot or so. grease bearing on 15in wheels. not lack of maintenance. bearing failure. it does happen . I removed wheel set / loaded my truck and chained axle up for trip back to CT, one of the more positive ending stories.

Yup been there done that one too! Even had that happen on a tractor under a loaded B train! Just another experience! Managed to chain the axle and get it to the shop as well! Saved a tow bill anyway!

I did lose an outer tire rim cracked all around bolt pattern and fell off some where strange thing a buddy was following me entire night we were bullshitten on the radio he said he never saw it come off  so yes Paul even with proper pre trip shit still happens that was around 25 years ago .., Bob

• Like 1
  • Like 1