12.7 Detroit hissing n puffing black smoke

gio400

Question

I have a Detroit 12.7 when on the flat have no problems, but when I’m the hills n building rpm it sometimes making a blowing huffing sound n puff black smoke, when building rpm. Have this happen to anyone or do anyone knows what cause this

24 answers to this question

Yep,  however, i dont recall seeing an EGR on a 12.7.. (of course I aint seen them all)   I have also replaced intake gaskets, and C.A.C.'s,  and on occasion, a turbo base gasket..  I like the 12.7..    I put it right up there with the E-7 Mechanical..  jojo

Thanks Onyx..   I have worked on a lot of 12.7's and 14.0's..  I just dont remember EGR on a 12.7..    The 14.0's I worked on were '05 and later.. They had EGR's..  The series 60 is one engine that I wish I had learned to build..   I would 'Tool-up' for that one...   Lot's of them still in service here..  Hopefully gio400 will come back with all the truck info and a few pic's...   jojo

I loved my 14.0L. 515 horse from the factory and mine would boost almost 50psi on the boost gauge. Truck would flat fly down the road even fully loaded. It was in a 2006 Freightliner Coronado. We timed it once on a 16mile stretch and covered it in less than ten minutes. Truck was named Can't Touch This. Another thing that caused her to run wonky was the Air compressor was going bad. Sure miss that ol'big wheel sports car. 

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

How did the sleeper compare to a Century/Columbia 120?  I has a '99 century and I loved it..  even though it was a plastic truck..  

Was the same exact sleeper cab. Coronado just had the long hood.  Its actually called a Century Coronado on the manufacturing plate

14 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Late 03 until discontinued the 12.7 and 14 liter had egr. Pretty much like every other engine manufacture. 

There was a lot of non EGR 14 Litre Series 60's down here.. !!

It's all we got from '03 up to '09. Then we got the EGR 14 Litre for a couple of Years then the DD13/16 rom about (I think) 2011-12

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Series 60 was the engine that saved Detroit Diesel along with Roger Penske's money and John Deere Corporation. Not too many people know but in the in the mid 1980s John Deere and Detroit Diesel formed a joint venture to co-develop engines for on highway applications and off road machinery. Detroit's 2 cycle was all but dead and Deere was in a bad financial position from horrible farm economies of the late 70s and early 80s. Deere engineers had the knowledge to design and build reliable 4 stroke diesels. The joint venture was named Detroit Deere Corporation (DEDEC). Roger Penske swooped in at the last minute and bought Detroit Diesel and poured mountains of money into the prototype engine called the Tech 80, which would become the Series 60. John Deere's 12.5 liter Powertech engines have often been called Series 60 clones since they were introduced a few years after the 60 Series debuted. Attached are two pictures of corporate literature of the merger company that really never came to fruition. How much engineering and information exchange that took place between Detroit and Deere leading up to Penske buying Detroit and nixing the corporate merger deal is unknown. However, based on how similar the Series 60 and Deere 12.5 liter Powertechs are......a lot? 

DDEC 1.jpg

DEDEC 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Like 1

What year engine and engine size are we talking here. Get the information from the tags and stickers on the sides of valve cover. Also the make and year of the truck could help if you know for certain the engine is original to the truck. It literally says there is some type of EGR fault on your scanner so there is a good chance its not a 12.7? The information seems contradictory but I'm no DD guru. 

I was kinda thinking like you 67,,. Im no DD guru either, but I sure have worked on a lot of them from the 90's to 2007..  anyway, I will follow this one and hope to learn something..  🍻