Cooling fan runs when cold

rhinoo

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

so after about 15 minutes or so, does it NOT disengage?  and then kinda come in and out as you drive?  

Na, it’s noisy as hell about all the time it seems. I think if I rev motor up to a high rpm it may let up some but rarely ever notice it not being loud while driving. If they are only $100, I will for sure pick a new one up tomorrow. I will also go ahead and blow the radiator out good while I’m at it. That teacher was actually a pretty good one. One of the most caring teachers I ever had. He probably only told me that and not the other students cause he knew I wasn’t dumb enough to chop my fingers off but it was definitely one I never forgot. Lol..  I guess I was wondering more if that was even a factory option on that fan or if someone had done a cheap fix on it but sounds like that’s what they put on them. I’ve been running it on the farm for over a year and still running strong after y’all helped me get some bigger injectors and some more fuel to a bigger turbo someone had installed on it before I bought it.  That 350 now will easily push my brothers 425hp c12 in a t800 over any hill when we run together. Thanks for the help.  

• Like 2

Both of our John Deere tractors had their clutches welded solid by previous owners. Makes for a loud time if you're outside the cab. 

Anyone ever adapt an air engaged fan clutch like a Horton onto a Mack? I've driven a few vehicles with air engaged fan clutches and there awesome. Flip e'm on whenever you're going down a hill to save your brakes. 

3 hours ago, MACKS said:

See if u can easily spin the fan when the truck is cold..

Mack didn’t have one and was $250 and said it was on back order. Fans spins but has some resistance. I am replacing the O-ring on the power steering pump and all the hoses this morning, when I get it back running again I will mess with the fan a little.

8 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Should you be able to or should it be locked up when cold and not running?

It should spin easily when cold,I had one that was locked up man what a difference in that truck when I changed it out,like night and day..

21 hours ago, rhinoo said:

I felt the strip in the front like you are talking about. It seems to hardly ever shut off. Engine temp never gets over 180 in dead of summer. My auto mechanics teacher back in the late 90’s taught us to test those fan drives by holding on to the fan blade while someone started the vehicle and as long as you can hold it, it was good. I asked what if it wasn’t good and he said you gotta be quick…lol. don’t think I’m gonna be attempting that trick on this big fan. Gotta run to Mack in morning, guess I might price a new one. 

Lol,there’s no reason to hold it just start the truck cold and shut it down,the fan should keep spinning..

On 12/30/2022 at 5:17 PM, Onyx610 said:

Being that they rob about 40hp, id believe they would make a nice engine brake. When that fan kicks on the front end drops down and feels like you dropped a cruise ship anchor behind you. 

So do I understand that you get 40 hp more over a conventional fan with no clutch

My old bucket of bolts has never had a fan clutch from new, truck always runs cold, even when the air temp is well over 100 degrees on Im on full power  all day

Im always up for more power without cranking up the injector pump

Paul 

I did convert one of my E9’s to an air actuated fan clutch.  I will tell you the reduction in noise alone is worth the effort.  
I used a Kysor style clutch and had a machine shop make me up a hub adapter. I also made an adapter to reuse the steel blade fan.  Run an air solenoid and some tubing and then plumb in an a/c fan switch and voila.  
Less noise, cab heat comes much faster, can engage fan manually when running a pto, clutch can be rebuilt when worn. As time allows I plan on changing all my Macks over.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

So do I understand that you get 40 hp more over a conventional fan with no clutch

My old bucket of bolts has never had a fan clutch from new, truck always runs cold, even when the air temp is well over 100 degrees on Im on full power  all day

Im always up for more power without cranking up the injector pump

Paul 

Not sure how much hp they eat up but the way the engine and the truck performs will amaze you,you’ll think your driving a different truck,do it if u can..

2 hours ago, BGarofalo said:

I did convert one of my E9’s to an air actuated fan clutch.  I will tell you the reduction in noise alone is worth the effort.  
I used a Kysor style clutch and had a machine shop make me up a hub adapter. I also made an adapter to reuse the steel blade fan.  Run an air solenoid and some tubing and then plumb in an a/c fan switch and voila.  
Less noise, cab heat comes much faster, can engage fan manually when running a pto, clutch can be rebuilt when worn. As time allows I plan on changing all my Macks over.  

There's a switch that I used to use for the AC.  I forget which it was but one was N/O and one was N/C  it was super easy to wire into a switch like you said for over riding it on the dash.  (did a couple E7s that I had one for a VIN as far as the hub and all)  I too thought it was well worth the effort .

My 2015 Mack CHU613 Pinnacle just had an issue with the fan not shutting off due to some wiring issues. Mechanic fixed it and she got her power back. You'd be surprised how much an engine fan running all the time effects the motors power. Plus it made the truck super loud and when taking her up to 1800 rpm to shift she'd sound like she had a boost leak. Sure am glad she's fixed now though 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

These fans don’t take too much when they come on, maybe 15hp? The ones on trucks with emissions say 05 to present cost 40hp to run when locked up. 

Maybe not even 15 hp when working properly but if u have a fan like mrsmackPaul has that’s always locked on that’s a different story ..

Well it's a fresh day so I flipped the lid and had a look to make sure I wasn't loosing the plot, after Christmas eve and Christmas day hangover anything is possible 

20230102-080525.jpg

20230102-080455.jpg

Now Im thinking that is just the hub or pulley number, so what fan and hub am I looking for to extract the extra few HP 

20230102-081529.jpg

As you can see the fan is 24 inches, dunno if this is standard or they come in different sizes 

So does anyone know what I need to make this all happen ?

Paul