Cooling fan runs when cold

rhinoo

Got a 98’ Rd688s with an e7-350 and the engine cooling fan seems to run too much. I own several semis and they all are air operated but this motor has a fan drive type fan on it. Im not sure if this is even correct or not? I assume it works off of a thermostat built in to front of the drive? I can turn it with engine off but has some resistance to it. It looks like it had been replaced recently. I can start it up at 20 degrees and it will be running wide open. Any help is appreciated. 

B08ACBC9-DDDE-4370-A3BE-F3F7DB78DA61.jpeg

That is a vicious fluid fan drive or fan clutch. Whenever you start cold the fan runs for a couple of seconds before the fluid can be pumped back to the reservoir and the fan disengages. There's really no way to control when the kick on and you kinda just have to live with it. All Macks from the 80s and 90s that Ive seen use this type of clutch. 

Been meaning to ask has anyone ever replaced the vicious clutch for an air operated one? To me that would be a nice upgrade. 

• Like 2

There’s a little coiled bi metallic strip on front and in the center that expands at a specific temp and opens a valve. Which lets the viscous fluid in and locks up the fan. When cooling has been achieved to specific temp it contracts and fluid drains back as the valve closes. What temp is fan coming on at and how often? 

Edited by Onyx610

1 minute ago, Mark T said:

Isn't there something about the position they're stored in ?  Like if it was stored lying down they don't work. 

I’ve heard things like that also but can’t verify. Kind of like leaving batteries on concrete floor drains them?

no one gives a damn how they sit on the shelf. at the parts houses..  .   When they are on the engine,  they go into service..   centrifugal force and heat tells them what to do...   am I wrong Mark??    jojo

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

nice testing procedure..   :)  what if you took a long grill lighter and warmed up the coil and pulled on the fan blade at the same time to see if it got tighter..  of course there wont be any centrifigul force..  Im just sayin, and messin too..  I think they are still under $100.00..   Good luck,  :)   jojo

15 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

no one gives a damn how they sit on the shelf. at the parts houses..  .   When they are on the engine,  they go into service..   centrifugal force and heat tells them what to do...   am I wrong Mark??    jojo

There's something about them being stored. After so long they don't work or take forever to start working correctly.  Like those bear ones you gotta hot wire and let it run at a certain RPM until it frees up 

That fan drive needs to be replaced.  I went through 2 on an E9 once. Then the third one worked.  Original failed and would no longer drive . Then replaced it....never came off full on , second one was the same way. Third one worked like a Swiss watch.  And FYI  an E9 with the fan stuck on ?  real treat to try shift'n all day.