Got me a new welder

fjh

We bought a 211 about 6? Yrs ago at work, just for me to do maintenance work, fab stuff.   It is a nice machine, they had rebates going and I got a new helmet and the alum spool gun for it.  I haven't used the spool gun yet.  I run .035 wire in it and have the largest tank on it.  Bit top heavy, but it is all we have here and I wasn't going to get short tanks just for this machine.

I'd love to get the 255 multi machine for home.  Its got everything, mig, tig(with HF start) two tanks, all the accys.  Just don't care for all the electronics in it and the mileage it would get at home would not cover the cost to fix it when something stupid fails.  The 211 at work gets regular use.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

We bought a 211 about 6? Yrs ago at work, just for me to do maintenance work, fab stuff.   It is a nice machine, they had rebates going and I got a new helmet and the alum spool gun for it.  I haven't used the spool gun yet.  I run .035 wire in it and have the largest tank on it.  Bit top heavy, but it is all we have here and I wasn't going to get short tanks just for this machine.

I'd love to get the 255 multi machine for home.  Its got everything, mig, tig(with HF start) two tanks, all the accys.  Just don't care for all the electronics in it and the mileage it would get at home would not cover the cost to fix it when something stupid fails.  The 211 at work gets regular use.

All this stuff has electronics just the way it is these days ! The tweco this replaces had digital volt gauge that was all over hells half acres would Not come back to the same set voltage EVER! There inlies why I replaced it! if you put some down force on the voltage knob it would sort of hold its set! tried putting a push down strap on the knob was only slightly better!

Done now hopefully! no more fighting!

Ya, the clamp is pretty flimsy.  I've had to replace the wire lug.  I bought a few much bigger replacement clamps for our other welders and I got two magnetic clamps.  Kinda handy for large flat work or sticking to a weld table and won't fall off.

Ya, everything is inverter technology and even my local service guy suggested I don't buy the 255 for home unless I use it constantly (I don't).  He says you don't want it sitting around for years and it suddenly crap out with only a few hours of use.  The boards inside are all one so there is no cheap fix.  You have to buy the whole mother board, not just a simple power board, or hi freq board for a hundred dollars.

I have a very vintage 220 Millermatic mig machine.  Just a big transformer,a big contactor, and some cables.  Nothing to fail.  The transformer has taps you just move the positive cable to the one you need.  Friend gave me to use 30 yrs ago and still going strong.  I want tig at home, thus the dream of the new machine.  Another friend has an old Miller tig machine he will sell me since he got a good deal on a big power supply.  It too is just simple and been reliable since he bought it new.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 11/28/2022 at 8:51 PM, Onyx610 said:

this stuff,  not sure how it works but it does….

I've used this stuff a lot on TIG electrodes.  It usually works okay.  Surprising how the "warm" electrode comes OUT of the powder hotter than it went in!  Must be some cool magic in there.  A properly ground electrode seems to work a little better, but this stuff is super handy on the job.

My son is the better TIG welder.  He worked at a medical solution plant for several years, and he did a LOT of TIG welding on stainless.  Has the patience and the touch for it.  He can put the right tip on the electrode, stick it out the right amount, and makes it look super easy.  I have done a lot of TIG, but nothing like he has.  He's MUCH better at it than I am.

My go-to machine at the house is just a Hobart "transformer" buzz-box.  Does something like 220 amps AC and 160 DC.  I typically use it on DC most of the time.  It's a 230VAC machine.  I liked it because it had the straight/reverse switch instead of having to swap leads to swap polarity.  Had it for something like 22 years now.

Really want one of the 115/230VAC Miller MIG setups.  Like maybe the 211 in the original post.  Not that I really NEED one, would just like to have one!  Also, have used one of the 115/230VAC Miller "suitcase" stick welders here at work from time to time.  Pretty amazing little "rectifier"  box.  MUCH lighter than my transformer machine (which is permanently mounted to a hand truck!).  I'm just kinda funny; if what I have works, I don't really want to spend money on something else!  Toys, toys, toys!

Hey, did we get off-topic...again?  LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

34 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I've used this stuff a lot on TIG electrodes.  It usually works okay.  Surprising how the "warm" electrode comes OUT of the powder hotter than it went in!  Must be some cool magic in there.  A properly ground electrode seems to work a little better, but this stuff is super handy on the job.

My son is the better TIG welder.  He worked at a medical solution plant for several years, and he did a LOT of TIG welding on stainless.  Has the patience and the touch for it.  He can put the right tip on the electrode, stick it out the right amount, and makes it look super easy.  I have done a lot of TIG, but nothing like he has.  He's MUCH better at it than I am.

My go-to machine at the house is just a Hobart "transformer" buzz-box.  Does something like 220 amps AC and 160 DC.  I typically use it on DC most of the time.  It's a 230VAC machine.  I liked it because it had the straight/reverse switch instead of having to swap leads to swap polarity.  Had it for something like 22 years now.

Really want one of the 115/230VAC Miller MIG setups.  Like maybe the 211 in the original post.  Not that I really NEED one, would just like to have one!  Also, have used one of the 115/230VAC Miller "suitcase" stick welders here at work from time to time.  Pretty amazing little "rectifier"  box.  MUCH lighter than my transformer machine (which is permanently mounted to a hand truck!).  I'm just kinda funny; if what I have works, I don't really want to spend money on something else!  Toys, toys, toys!

I feel like there is no such thing as off topic with a handful of us guys on here. Always good/funny conversations… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Ya! Nope 😇

I have an older Lincon 400 amp power source for mig I have a ln-7 spool gun and a mini spool gun for aluminum, an Esab 300 amp tig and stick that I got a super deal on years ago and a little Lincon mig that runs on 110 volt that little welder I used in my machine shop and run god knows how many 10 lb. rolls of 035 wire through that welder. My good friend had a large machine shop and he treated himself to a new mig welder it had printed circuit boards in it had to be repaired so much he stuck it up on a shelf and said never would he buy another new welder. He had a 1000 amp setup for constant welding building up shafts and rolls out of mills. Some of those rolls were very large his one lathe could swing 10 foot x about 20 or 30 feet. 

6 hours ago, Freightrain said:

situation with a multi  machine is some have too much trying to be done with one unit.  yrs back I was given an airco ??? welder which was wire feed;( gas set up) and also a stick machine. looked a little dusty when i got it , with a little clean up and some blue miller paint  it looked and worked excellent. 

and this is still on topic ==LOL

• Haha 1

that vise grip is ingenious ...good luck with it....anything new usually works real good.ok here here i go mecho,,,,,i was using a real old circular saw that i thought was working fine,,,one christmas wife decided to buy me a brand new one for some reason  .....my god,i cant believe how good the new one works compaired to that beat up old one   ..bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yup All  good first small project ! Cranked up to 7 on the auto set still a bit to hot however welds like a champ!

image.thumb.jpeg.35a2c65dde46d53b2ed61af7f9b24e38.jpeg
that there is an adjustable top link for my Davey brown tractor made from a ratchet chain synch! I got a feeling this will weld half inch plate with no issues That was 3/8 and still too hot! should have made that vise grip ground years ago works deadly can't come of with out intervention! 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Looks pretty good. I am still learning. I have three welders and I am not that good. My biggest problem is I can’t see the bead for  some reason. I watched these guys welding on YouTube and they just keep going. Oh well I guess I just need a lot more practice.. Bob

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

Looks pretty good. I am still learning. I have three welders and I am not that good. My biggest problem is I can’t see the bead for  some reason. I watched these guys welding on YouTube and they just keep going. Oh well I guess I just need a lot more practice.. Bob

Cheater lenses are a godsend!!!

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

14 hours ago, mowerman said:

Do you have an auto dark helmet ! I find that helps alot! you can adjust the darkness on mine !

• Like 2