Got me a new welder

fjh

Millers are nice. You’ll  pry never have to buy another one again. Keep looking for the switch, there has to be one out there somewhere. Then you can sell it and get some money back. Is a mig, tig, and stick welder as well?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

How about some pics!?

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=c8f6ee3847&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-f:1750669193546336993&th=184ba05b288c8ae1&view=att&disp=safe

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=c8f6ee3847&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1750669193546336993&th=184ba05b288c8ae1&view=att&disp=safe

Haven't tried it yet came with 030 wire and tips ! got 3/4 of a roll of 035 left off the tweco so waiting on a 035 tips  ! as they have changed up the gun and the tips are now different that the tips they are stocking! bit of s pissoff!

17 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

How do they not have 35 tips!? For a welder they sell….

Well In my mind miller is doing the classic fixing on the fly ! We've all seen this done even in the Mack days! The m100 gun had some issues they  updated it and didn't tell the dealers! Just speculating! will see Monday As they are close Sunday as they should be ! People deserve at least one day off!

defiantly  miss my welders. had 5 0nce. a lincoln 250 trailer mount. ; 2 -wall units 240 plug/ a 240 wire feed and a road service lincoln 115 . unlimited fun to fix/repair/ build anything. never liked the small lincoln. had it set up for gas not flux core. first job inside stainless steel milk tanker. any idea what it's like to haul all that stuff through top hatch! . first arc things went wrong. turned around the welder was on fire. haul all the sh-t back out. returned the welder for another.  used my brother's 115 hobart today ;; don't like it. LOL

i still have the 240 volt lincoln 215 powermig with spool gun, and the miller bluestar 2A gas powered stick welder. 

plus a set of torches i have not used in 15 years, and 40 amp plasma cutter that replaced the torches.

i sold the miller bobcat 225nt, the miller thunderbolt, lincoln SA200, and the 110 volt little lincoln 140

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I’ve been messing with that tig  when I get free time and god damn it’s hard. There’s sooooo much that goes into it. Cup size, electrode length/thickness, the type of point on it, and soo much more. Not for me….

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1

You'll get about a year or so out of the "auto set" before that feature fails. Then you'll be manually adjusting it.  If it has a reference chart for amperage and wire speed settings depending on material thickness then SAVE the chart!!! I use our chart all the time.  

If I remember from class on TIG, you need a dedicated grinder wheel for the tungsten tips so you don't contaminate them, and you had to be very careful with how you grind the tips.  The abrasions left on the tip literally throw the electrons, and if they aren't even then it will throw the arc sideways.  

Welder I know has a friend that can tig weld around corners using mirrors.  I've done that mig welding, it's easier than I thought it would be.  But the weld spatter is bad for the mirror glass, lol ...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

You'll get about a year or so out of the "auto set" before that feature fails. Then you'll be manually adjusting it.  If it has a reference chart for amperage and wire speed settings depending on material thickness then SAVE the chart!!! I use our chart all the time.  

If I remember from class on TIG, you need a dedicated grinder wheel for the tungsten tips so you don't contaminate them, and you had to be very careful with how you grind the tips.  The abrasions left on the tip literally throw the electrons, and if they aren't even then it will throw the arc sideways.  

Welder I know has a friend that can tig weld around corners using mirrors.  I've done that mig welding, it's easier than I thought it would be.  But the weld spatter is bad for the mirror glass, lol ...

when baskin robbins  built the new freezer in southbury  the welder they used (paul Yuotts)   with stick rods  welded all the refrigeration pipes 10-12in dia so close to the walls he used a mirror and bent the rods around to the back side of pipes. this was a huge freezer. not one leak. he was the one (in his spare time ) teaching me the T I G machine baskin Maintenace shop had. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

There’s also a powder you can dip the tip into as well and it puts a point on it, need to get the electrode hot first. We have a millermatic 355 at work that handles the big three welds. Amazing machine.

Edited by Onyx610