Air Cleaner question

The second tube went to the tip turbine on certain engines, the 300+ used them and I believe a few others as well.

It's a sort of blower that is powered by a bleed of compressed air from the turbo to blow cool air over an engine mounted intercooler.

• Like 1

Also, the original Maxidyne trucks from say 1966-1972 have two as well. However, the lower one is open ended under the hood. I assume so the intake air stream is partially warm. These trucks didn't have charge air coolers so I don't know why they did that but they did......

4 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Also, the original Maxidyne trucks from say 1966-1972 have two as well. However, the lower one is open ended under the hood. I assume so the intake air stream is partially warm. These trucks didn't have charge air coolers so I don't know why they did that but they did......

The original Maxidyne's only had the 1 intake tube in Australia 

It wasnt until the coolpower motor came along that two intake tubes were needed, however in Australia the second intakecame from a second aircleaner for the turbine and the other aircleaner was for the motor intake

Paul

Weren't the Maxidyes (237s) with the two side by side and smaller compared to the engines with a tip fan that were one on top of the other and bigger diameter ? I think some with a Strata Tube had the air cleaner that was smaller on the top if it had the under hood draw for bad weather too.

54 minutes ago, 1961H67 said:

I have a 1968 R Firetruck that has a control on the dash that switch’s where the intake draws from,, like Y’all are talking about, pretty neat setup. 

I was racking my brain cells trying to picture the two hose air cleaners and for sure there was a cable going to lower intake hose as you say for inclement weather intake. can't remember two separate filters in canister ;;small and large? 

I forgot about that, most of the snow fighter trucks had an air switch on the dash to flip a shutter in the air cleaner to pull air from under the hood though a 2nd tube in sub zero weather, my '81 RD had this option and even my '07 Granite still does. Pretty sure those setups only used one filter though not 2 like the tip turbine. 

so many yrs later and still learning. never paid attention to side by side vs up/down on air cleaner piping, do remember the cable control now that you posted a picture. so many changes with "progress"; still remember the   dry road/slippery road valve on dash;; it cut the full air pressure to steer axle brakes .

• Like 1