Mack "B" Model Question

Go to solution Solved by mechohaulic,

• Solution

the shutters operated based on engine temp. never noticed but the fire trucks MAY HAVE  eliminated the shutters to maintain cooler eng temps. for the most a fire truck spends engine time stationary ;goes up down the  road but at a fire it's sits. there are a number of VERY knowledgeable fire truck personal on this site. many of which will prove my thoughts incorrect.

maybe that’s probably the way most of them ran . You would think especially back then they will be doing everything to cool them off I’ve had two Max with the shutters seems like what I remember they really don’t open a whole lot like you said.., .Bob

I'm not sure if my 237 has a thermostat?  Don't think my 673 did either.   I ran them hard enough that the shutters were open most times.  Only time they did close was on long downgrades.  You could tell they closed due to the increased fan noise.  It's not hard to keep the engine over 160* most days.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

19 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

Larry if that was a 237 then it should have a thermostatI Alot of the END 673 engins in the later 50s did not but did use a 170 degree shutterstat.The also did not have a oil cooler on some of them.

My 673 did not have an oil cooler.  My chassis is newer but not sure if the engine was original to it?

The 237 came from a fire engine, not sure if that matters.  I never looked in the housing to see if there is a thermostat.

Larry

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, MorrisMe said:

Just picked up a B-21 Gas fire truck and it has the shutters, they are plumed into the cooling system, but I have not started the truck yet or check the function.   It does look like the would work based on temp.

You can just put air in the system and they should close when the engine is cold.

Larry

front shutters almost always worked off engine temp' that was the purpose of the shutterstat mounted in coolant system. eng temp opened and closed the air to the front  shutters. took air to close the shutters. in the event a problem arose  there was a brass shut off valve mounted on fire wall  #4 aeroquipt line going to shutterstat which could be closed taking air away from front shutters keeping them open.

• Like 2

My B42 had fixed (non-operating) shutters when I got it, having a EN402 installed from the factory. From what I've seen, I believe they were an option on smaller gas jobs. I put them in, from a donor, when I converted it to diesel. The diesel engined B's all seem to have them, except the very late production ones the had that fixed grill. Fire trucks are a whole different animal. I would think they would've had shutters as they were built to operate statically for long periods while pumping. The shutters would help keep the engine at operating temps while in extreme cold conditions.