Pulling injectors on a 673

Craig N
Go to solution Solved by theakerstwo,

Oh, man.  I can't remember the "sequence" on those lines.  I will try to look through some of my service books and see if I can find a schematic on the fuel system.  Different year models may have slightly different-looking parts.

I'm sure somebody on here will do better from memory than I can do with the book.  But, I'll see if I can dig anything up for you.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

46 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Oh, man.  I can't remember the "sequence" on those lines.  I will try to look through some of my service books and see if I can find a schematic on the fuel system.  Different year models may have slightly different-looking parts.

I'm sure somebody on here will do better from memory than I can do with the book.  But, I'll see if I can dig anything up for you.

I have a service manual at home, will look though it when I get a chance. Not sure why I didn’t think of that, d’oh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys. Well, she’s alive!!!  We fired her up just now and went without much fuss. Only thing I have an issue with is I have oil coming out of a tee’d off fitting coming out of the turbo. Looks like the return line to me since the line goes down into the top of the oil pan. Anyone know what this fitting should be hooked up to?

IMG_7144.jpeg

3 hours ago, terry said:

I wouldn't think a gauge would be on a return line?    terry:MackLogo:

I was thinking the same thing. It was definitely to the gauge, but I don’t think this is the correct spot, though I’m not entirely sure it’s a return line, just a guess. It’s got plenty of pressure at it that’s for sure. I don’t see where the oil would be feeding into the turbo other than that line, so maybe a feed?

Where are the usual ports for oil pressure and coolest temp?  I’d like to get those gauges hooked up properly before I do too much. There’s a port on the water jacket, but I think it has something for the shutters hooked to it. 

How do these shutters work?  I have a switch on the dash that activates the shutters with air, but one end isn’t hooked up. I’m gonna look at the big red and see where that line went.  I think the governor was tee’d off and the line went there somewhere. 

I’m super excited to have this running and can’t wait I to finish it up, or at least get it to driving condition. Thanks a million for everyone’s help here!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Craig N said:

I was thinking the same thing. It was definitely to the gauge, but I don’t think this is the correct spot, though I’m not entirely sure it’s a return line, just a guess. It’s got plenty of pressure at it that’s for sure. I don’t see where the oil would be feeding into the turbo other than that line, so maybe a feed?

Should be a oil inlet and oil drain on the turbo center section, unless the center section has been turned upside down, feed was on top and drain on the bottom going to side cover on the block, oil feed i believe was off a fitting on top of head.    terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 10:43 AM, terry said:

Should be a oil inlet and oil drain on the turbo center section, unless the center section has been turned upside down, feed was on top and drain on the bottom going to side cover on the block, oil feed i believe was off a fitting on top of head.    terry:MackLogo:

Yep, looks like that’s what I have here, I was just looking at it wrong. Good news!

• Like 1

I’m trying to make sense of my shutterstat. The line coming out of the top of the unit on the firewall goes to a fitting on my water jacket:  IMG_7161.thumb.jpeg.ecb9e7942690c2ea96dba13668bdc569.jpegFrom that fitting, another line goes to the actual shutterstat. It must be some kind of tee since there is no coolant coming out of either line and the air works on it. IMG_7164.thumb.png.27db902ef6937f112c100c52eb42c70f.pngWhy is this screwed into the water manifold?  This looks like an ideal place for my coolant temp sender.  The fitting on the side of it is going to my coolant circulator (block heater). I need to put the temp sender somewhere. IMG_7163.thumb.jpeg.e34d45038e4b70ef5e8dff96394263e2.jpegI have a selector switch on the dash that works the shutter manually, but one end of the switch is open. Need to figure out where to book that into also.

Getting closer!

The first picture should have supply air and the front bowl looking part should have oil in it with a wick to go to shutter stat in water manifold then out of that to shutter cylinder as long as shutters are open your ok I totally removed mine and made a metal grille over the rad it takes a little longer to get hot but I only drive it in the summer

• Like 2

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

On 7/8/2023 at 9:29 AM, Craig N said:

Hi guys. Well, she’s alive!!!  We fired her up just now and went without much fuss. Only thing I have an issue with is I have oil coming out of a tee’d off fitting coming out of the turbo. Looks like the return line to me since the line goes down into the top of the oil pan. Anyone know what this fitting should be hooked up to?

IMG_7144.jpeg

that #4 aeroquipt line is oil going IN TO the turbo  return will be the 3/4 round pipe on bottom held in place with two 3/8th bolts and gasket ; short pipe with # 8 aeroquipt  line which connects to side cover on block.  line for oil pressure gauge  should (might) connect to oil pressure pad . 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Craig N said:

I’m trying to make sense of my shutterstat. The line coming out of the top of the unit on the firewall goes to a fitting on my water jacket:  IMG_7161.thumb.jpeg.ecb9e7942690c2ea96dba13668bdc569.jpegFrom that fitting, another line goes to the actual shutterstat. It must be some kind of tee since there is no coolant coming out of either line and the air works on it. IMG_7164.thumb.png.27db902ef6937f112c100c52eb42c70f.pngWhy is this screwed into the water manifold?  This looks like an ideal place for my coolant temp sender.  The fitting on the side of it is going to my coolant circulator (block heater). I need to put the temp sender somewhere. IMG_7163.thumb.jpeg.e34d45038e4b70ef5e8dff96394263e2.jpegI have a selector switch on the dash that works the shutter manually, but one end of the switch is open. Need to figure out where to book that into also.

Getting closer!

the 1/4 in line from water manifold is connected to a shutterstat. I would take the small lines off and blow air through to check for clogged lines. temp gauge should be connected to a sender on BACK of water manifold . it may have been moved when block heater line installed on top 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mean Green said:

The first picture should have supply air and the front bowl looking part should have oil in it with a wick to go to shutter stat in water manifold then out of that to shutter cylinder as long as shutters are open your ok I totally removed mine and made a metal grille over the rad it takes a little longer to get hot but I only drive it in the summer

Ohhhh, that makes sense. I thought the shutterstat was the cylinder. Makes sense it’s a thermostat from the manifold. Air is separated from the water. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

the 1/4 in line from water manifold is connected to a shutterstat. I would take the small lines off and blow air through to check for clogged lines. temp gauge should be connected to a sender on BACK of water manifold . it may have been moved when block heater line installed on top 

Making sense to me now. I’ll look for the plug in the back of the manifold tomorrow. I’ll pull off the heater if need be or tee it off from there. Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Craig N said:

Getting closer!

memory serves me correct the shutters use air pressure to close. dual springs on the cylinder hold it open. the switch on the dash should have one end to line on shutterstat  . other port on switch would be any source of air.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Craig N said:

Making sense to me now. I’ll look for the plug in the back of the manifold tomorrow. I’ll pull off the heater if need be or tee it off from there. Thanks!

might still have the water temp sender in the back of manifold 

• Like 1

Typical shutterstat has air supply to the stat and from the stat to shutters.

Yours looks like it might have a shut off valve from the dash to remove air supply so shutters are always open?  Like mentioned above, it takes air pressure to close them(sprung open for safety).

Note: the shutterstat is marked IN and OUT.  If you supply air to the wrong side, they won't open again(I found out personally LOL).

• Like 1
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"