Pulling injectors on a 673

Craig N
Go to solution Solved by theakerstwo,

So, there’s two “ears” at the front lower part of the block on each side that have 3 whiles each. I should’ve gotten a pic from the motor that’s out, but I figure we’re gonna make plates and attach to there for the front lifting. Will along the rear like we did last time. Can see the bolt that holds the fuel line bracket on. There’s two more hole one either side of it just below it. Added a better pic 

090C5712-63FB-4A4D-90A3-1E93F1F8E9FC.jpeg

E5499638-D33D-4E45-899C-4DB0A91CC06D.png

Edited by Craig N

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mowerman said:

Hell … your coming right along… still haven’t had decent enough weather around here to empty the trash …. Engine and motor mounts all figured out yet????? 

Yep, engine mounts match right up to the old ones. Same engine just has a turbo on it compared to the old 673 that was in it. 

45 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Wow!!  not only is the truck coming along great, but the posting gives a nod to Glenn Akers..  He had the solution on Nov. 8th..  

yep, he had the right idea with the heal bars for the injector removal. They came right out.  Hope to have it running in a couple weeks. It ran great when I pulled it out of the other one. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got some work done today. Got the shifters back in the trans. Got the clutch linkage back on and clutch working. Some fuel lines and air lines hooked up. A few more lines to hook up and we can get the radiator back in and plumbed. Made a little progress. 

The brakes are caged, so might mess with those next time too. I’ll pressurize the system and see if there are any leaks maybe. 

spent a week at Allentown plant back in early '70's. walked the entire production line . chassis starts upside down for suspension ; at end of track one it flips over goes up track two for eng/trans/ cab/completion and drive out. point is no such thing as cell phones then ; doubt cameras were permitted. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

correct on the eng/ trans combo lift at the factory.. also remember they didn't have a cab on when combo was lowered on chassis. and the production line had over head cranes . just sayin. looking at earlier pictures with eng/ trans combo removed with chains  , the rear of combo has a wooden block UNDER the brake drum !!!! . darn that's dangerous. jack stands in front holding everything "stable" .  minimum should have angle iron ; two holes through which bolt to bell housing . NOT condemning anyone ;; been there done that , am reminded every day of short cuts / "it will work " episodes  I took. try to explain my screw ups so  youngsters don't get hurt.

The good motor is in the truck now but the old one with the burnt piston is still sitting on the ground as seen in the pic. Maybe it’s time to make it a little more stable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent man thanks for the post  … I started mine today just to locate a power steering leak come to find out steering box is leaking and pump needs rebuilding that otta be an expensive SOB looks like I’ll be saving both parts till last… Bob

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

spent a week at Allentown plant back in early '70's. walked the entire production line . chassis starts upside down for suspension ; at end of track one it flips over goes up track two for eng/trans/ cab/completion and drive out. point is no such thing as cell phones then ; doubt cameras were permitted. 

Not even the poloroid swinger??? And  yes I’m sure you remember them bob

• Haha 1

without set backs the final objectives won't seem as worth it; trying to be positive. ask  Matt with the B73. guess it has to be in a person's blood to do these crazy things  to keep old iron running . I'LL TAKE THE HIT FOR GOING OFF TOPIC ,

• Haha 1