Pulling injectors on a 673

Craig N
Go to solution Solved by theakerstwo,

Think it’ll be ok to clean up and try running?  Is mouse piss that strong?  I can clean up the cylinder good enough but the piston looks like it got hit with a hammer. I don’t see any cracks near the liners up top

20D4C34F-82A7-4FCC-B3DE-4F1F2865A889.jpeg

Really hoping someone on here says something like “yeah, that’ll clean right up” or “it’s ok if piston 3 looks like it’s been hit with a hammer multiple times, that won’t affect much” or “If you can get it unstuck, just re-gasket and run it, it’ll be fine, I’ve seen a ton of these do the same exact thing”

I guess a short piece of 4x4 and a 3# mallet... Might get it..  alternate hitting the pistons..  like playing 'Whack a Mole'...   Do you have a buddy that can pull on a breaker bar attached to the crankshaft? (Clockwise) motion..while you smack 'em...  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

I guess a short piece of 4x4 and a 3# mallet... Might get it..  alternate hitting the pistons..  like playing 'Whack a Mole'...   Do you have a buddy that can pull on a breaker bar attached to the crankshaft? (Clockwise) motion..while you smack 'em...  

I’m gonna get the rear head off and see what it looks like in there I guess. Then I’ll start with the whack a mole while I’ve got someone putting pressure on the crankshaft. Got some cleaning to do for sure.

I did a little research and I guess dog piss can cause aluminum to rot out, so my thinking is the mouse piss will do the same. Hope the rear cylinders don’t have this going on lol

9 hours ago, mowerman said:

I still think rust is a bigger issue go ahead with soaking with WD and leave it sit original plan still possible according to the photos looks like very little wear continue with lotsa patience… good luck bud… bob

Hope fully I can get her free without breaking any rings!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BOBWhite said:

Did the head feel like it had been off before? Maybe someone before you tried to get it unstuck and that's the reason  for the piston damage. The pistons can be reused if the ring groves are ok, a bit of pitting doesn't hurt too much I've reused some pretty bad pistons on stuff that just needs to run. I'm not sure if these have composite or aluminum pistons but if they're cast iron they are more like able to be reused. 

Porta-powers are a good method to remove a stuck piston if you have the right equipment.  

Yeah, it’s been off sometime in its life I think. I’m debating on whether or not to disassemble the whole motor and go through it or just buy a donor truck with a running motor and be able to sell some of the parts that I have left over when done

12 minutes ago, Craig N said:

Yeah, it’s been off sometime in its life I think. I’m debating on whether or not to disassemble the whole motor and go through it or just buy a donor truck with a running motor and be able to sell some of the parts that I have left over when done

Till you got it pulled down you don't know till you have it pulled down! That said if you can find a good runner 237 It should fit in there! with the added bonus of spin on oil filters etc.! It is after all a toy!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

I would go with  the idea of a donor truck ; if numbers are reasonable. total rebuild of this engine is proper way but can end up "snowballing" to an expensive deal. have seen quite a few engines apart  never one with that extensive amount of damage from rodents.   call the mouse back and tell him to clean up his own mess. 

I guy who comes in to the garage is a diesel mechanic so I showed him the piston. He said he thought that it looked like it got too hot, that maybe it took on too much fuel. He didn’t seem to think mouse piss could do that to a piston. I know if I were to rebuild this engine properly, it would cost me more than a donor truck and that there’s still the chance that it’ll fail if I don’t put it together right either, as I’m not a diesel mechanic. I’m leaning toward a donor truck right now 

I'm leaning towards a donor truck as well.. after reading the posts over a couple times, is where my opinion comes from.  Maybe you can pull that engine apart, just for a learning process, then offer it for sale as a basket case..  

• Like 1

have to put a little humor in every situation now and then. I have john deere farm tractor apart right now which like your B was a"simple fix" having a stuck clutch. WRONG  thanks to a very hard working rodent ; I removed two full pails of nest from bell housing area , all brought in through a tiny 1 in hole . the nest and the piss seized and rusted everything. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig N said:

I guy who comes in to the garage is a diesel mechanic so I showed him the piston. He said he thought that it looked like it got too hot, that maybe it took on too much fuel. He didn’t seem to think mouse piss could do that to a piston. I know if I were to rebuild this engine properly, it would cost me more than a donor truck and that there’s still the chance that it’ll fail if I don’t put it together right either, as I’m not a diesel mechanic. I’m leaning toward a donor truck right now 

you own a diesel AND are working on it ;;;YOU ARE A DIESEL MECHANIC : the extent of your knowledge depends solely on how much you want to learn. as a senior in high school 50 plus yrs ago , I started at Mack trucks as a ::: assistant apprentice , mechanics helper! try and figure that one. LOL

• Like 1
  • Like 1

that "title" got me many hrs(years) becoming professional at running a steam cleaner and grease gun. all the while asking thousands of questions to the knowledgeable ones.  seems different in todays world- after 60=90 days a person "qualifies (by union standards i guess) to be called a mechanic.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

you own a diesel AND are working on it ;;;YOU ARE A DIESEL MECHANIC : the extent of your knowledge depends solely on how much you want to learn. as a senior in high school 50 plus yrs ago , I started at Mack trucks as a ::: assistant apprentice , mechanics helper! try and figure that one. LOL

Nah, I’m just a wrench spinner. I’ve been working on my own motorcycles, cars, pickup trucks, Jeeps, boats, backhoes etc., etc. for about 33 years, but I’m no mechanic haha.  I did just get my 1966 Mack END 673/711 service manual in the mail yesterday though!!  I’m excited about that for sure!!  

I’ve learned hat all these projects I get myself into all take way longer than expected, usually more money too, but it always feels good when you get it right in the end when you can say you did it yourself with some help along the way from the folks who really know what they’re doing haha. 

Man, those rodents can really do a number on things!!  Victor to the rescue!!

29 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I'm leaning towards a donor truck as well.. after reading the posts over a couple times, is where my opinion comes from.  Maybe you can pull that engine apart, just for a learning process, then offer it for sale as a basket case..  

Not a bad idea. I’ve had gas motors apart and back together before, and I could probably do this one too with help from you guys. In the end I think it’ll be more expensive and to not have a warranty on my inexperienced work may not be the best idea. If I get a donor, I can make one really nice truck out of two and sell some stuff off to recoup some of the losses maybe

Edited by Craig N
Spellcheck didn’t work lol
  • Like 1

so 33yrs of motorcycle.cars.boats etc is called grammer school.  NOW with diesel especially a Mack  you have entered high school . the goal is to graduate with top honors. never put a time slot on a project when its for yourself. take note of some of the projects being done on this site. many /most take 20 plus yrs. if you time slot it the fun is gone. after internal work (engine, trans ) outsiders won't see what you did the inner feeling of having built it makes it worthwhile. 

• Like 1

Well my 20 cents worth which is hardly worth 2 cents tells me if it was mine I would fill the bores with diesel and a little bit of petrol (gas for yanks) drop a rag in it and set the bores on fire until they burn out

This heats the bore and hopefully allows some possom piss or diesel or what ever to get down past the piston to the rings

I would do this a few times  until I can see some results

Then maybe try budging it a bit

Drop the sump and  see if you can shift any loose pistons up

Probably only the ones TDC, may need a jack on the floor with a block of wood on the rod

Dunno the more you can get moving before going crazy means the less strain on everything 

Anyhow thats what I would be doing

Nice and gentle is the way to save money

No swinging big sledge hammers belting the crap out of things

One slip and you can really make some giant steps in the wrong direction 

Paul

I thought about lighting a fire in the cylinders but was afraid to post it..  :)   No Sledgehammer's....     that fire wont be hot enough to melt the pistons..  Luv it...  Jojo