Big Yellow School Bus

other dog

52 minutes ago, Brocky said:

Crown Coach company, I believe, was based in California.. And the tandem was part of the screwy weight laws in the land of Fruits and Nuts!!!!

Correct. Crown was based in Los Angeles, Ca. A very popular builder of buses and Crown FireCoach was their Fire Apparatus line- very very popular among west coast Fire Departments. 

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

6 hours ago, Brocky said:

Crown Coach company, I believe, was based in California.. And the tandem was part of the screwy weight laws in the land of Fruits and Nuts!!!!

The truth is that by putting the engine under the floor, the crowns are mid engine, you can carry more students in a bus with the same length. So in order to increase capacity some school districts opted for longer busses 

the typical two axle school bus has a GVW that is maxed out fir its size. The capacity is based on a bus loaded with adults 

when you add more rows of seats the bus will exceed the weight for two axles 

crown could have used a tag axle but the ones I have seen appear to have both axles powered 

also the three axle buses typically have storage compartments under the floor that are often not on the two axle busses 

• Like 2

This bus had me curious. I Googled Crown Coach.  Turns out the one in the picture is a "Supercoach"  and interestingly enough ..... the founder of the company was a fella by the name of Brockway.  Says some of those Supercoaches could move almost 100 kids.   Once again OD posts an attention getting picture.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 10:46 AM, Brocky said:

A close up of that data plate would probably answer a lot of questions?

If I had taken my camera I probably could have gotten it. All I had was my phone though, and I held it right up against the glass. I need to start taking a camera with me again. When I was driving I always had one with me.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

1 hour ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Actually as much as I hate to admit it there were more powered by pancake 671's 

Why, they're one of the things that make America great! Zina from Gladys made me some this morning, with our own blueberries and some of the wild blackberries that we picked in them. I only had 3 though, not 671. It would take me a week to eat that many pancakes.

Speaking of wild blackberries, I've got some wine going on in the cheesy poofs container.

w292.jpg.bf1be113de6f733953f136037d318676.jpg

• Like 1

OD

Back to your sunflower shot.  We made one trip to Italy (Tuscany) once.  Never forget driving on whatever the super highway is called that runs the entire length of  the country.  Looking ahead I see  huge field off to right -nothing but a sea of green-finally check my rear view (making sure some idiot is not coming up in back of me at 100 mph!) and see nothing but a sea of yellow.  I  guess sunflower oil is a big export crop there.

• Like 1

I pulled and assembled a fresh rebuilt 318 DD in an older martz style bus the engine layed over the left cylinder bank was vertical to the ground and it was side ways weird drive setup to the axle that was mounted in front of engine.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Red Horse said:

OD

Back to your sunflower shot.  We made one trip to Italy (Tuscany) once.  Never forget driving on whatever the super highway is called that runs the entire length of  the country.  Looking ahead I see  huge field off to right -nothing but a sea of green-finally check my rear view (making sure some idiot is not coming up in back of me at 100 mph!) and see nothing but a sea of yellow.  I  guess sunflower oil is a big export crop there.

I'd never seen as many as I did the first time I went to North Dakota. People usually plant a few around their yard or in their gardens around here, this field up the road is big for these parts. But when I was in North Dakota it was like you said about Italy, just huge fields of them.

On 7/21/2022 at 9:53 AM, Red Horse said:

OD

thats what im constantly dealing with on I 80.its rediculous...bob

I strained the wine in the cheesy poofs container today for the first time, first through a strainer, then through two layers of cheesecloth.

This is what's left of the berries.

w2941.jpg.f505474d671ff3fdbfa18bcf50c7ca47.jpg

I strained it into this bowl first,

w29b.jpg.fcdd5f01f6598f82432495917be70369.jpg

then strained it through the cheese cloth into these bottles I found in the dumpster. 

w294.jpg.ab047c01821c5958483ae5dea37043ac.jpg

I didn't screw the tops down tight because i'm not sure if it's finished working yet or not. I actually got more than I was expecting.