Shop Talk

Onyx610

Yes sir, I beleive it was a transfer switch unit for our diesel generators..   It burned a couple of the 480 contacts and melted them down..  they just throw this stuff in the scrap dumpster..   I also scored a smaller stainless cabinet, that i removed from a lift station..   not only do I get usable cabinets, but the last one I got had about 30' of copper wire that is 3/8" diameter..  I am going to use it for my new battery cables and starter cables on my '48 Int. I also got 50+ feet of 12 gauge wire, that has a hard insulation..  I will use it to run my lights and such..  

• Like 2

it is 40 inches wide and 76" tall, and inside is 18" deep...   :)  I made a rack that will hold 12 of my long guns, and the bottom should hold all of my hand gun's..  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 67RModel said:

I built my shop back in 2016 and have never had heat in it until now. When I poured the floor back then I insulted underneath and the perimeter and put the pex tubing in for in floor heat but never got around to making it work until now. I always found other uses for that money and just said "ill just use a torpedo heater this winter". I finally got the boiler hooked up and running and now my shop is a nice comfortable 65 degrees. This was my first rodeo with  radiant floor heat and its a game changer. Night and day comfort difference when compared to forced air heating.

69240661806__0A88EB19-6B8A-4E00-9D61-6499210D461C.jpg

Yea that radiant floor heat is great. It’s too good. You get hot quick! Our lower garage that all the Mack’s go in has that. When putting tire chains on, that heat will have you down to your underwear in no time. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Yea that radiant floor heat is great. It’s too good. You get hot quick! Our lower garage that all the Mack’s go in has that. When putting tire chains on, that heat will have you down to your underwear in no time. 

I don't ever get hot lol. A room can never be too hot for me. The hotter the better in my opinion so this heated floor is a game changer for me. My house is the same way. I usually keep it anywhere from 74-76 degrees in Winter. I light a coal fire in my coal stove usually around mid December and it doesn't go out until early April.......Winter sucks for me lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 67RModel said:

I don't ever get hot lol. A room can never be too hot for me. The hotter the better in my opinion so this heated floor is a game changer for me. My house is the same way. I usually keep it anywhere from 74-76 degrees in Winter. I light a coal fire in my coal stove usually around mid December and it doesn't go out until early April.......Winter sucks for me lol.

i am the opposite. house is at 65 degrees year round. i hate heat. i melt if over 80 degrees. 

but in floor radiant heat is the way to go. i had it in the body shop. it only heats the area needed, floor up around 5-6 foot. not from the 20 foot tall ceiling down. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Dammit !!!  I wished I would have thought about heating my floor before pouring it..    My shop is only 22'x25'..  High ceiling..   I would rather have heated the floor, and let the heat rise..   🤔

• Like 2

It’s really nice since the whole slab is 65 degrees. The whole shop is being headed with radiation from the slab rather than convection from a warm air furnace or unit heater. With the slab controlled at 65 if feels much warmer than 65. I don’t know what the air temp is since the thermometer reads the slab temperature. The trade off is its much more costly to install than a unit heater or regular furnace.

20 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

I’ll have to take some more pictures of it tomorrow. I actually don’t have anymore of it lol. I have a bunch of when it was getting built initially but nothing recent. 

Please do! I like seeing peoples working space, tools, and trucks. 

Damn this is awesome, good for you! Yea I’m with you on the wanting to move with more land and privacy. I’ll wait it out for a while no rush. However land/privacy is becoming a lot more scarce out here in Chester county.