Jump to content

04 epa MP7 upgrades


Recommended Posts

I recently discovered 07 Mack pinnacle came with an MP7 and it doesn’t have a DPF on it.

I was curious to know if I could take an 04 epa MP7 and give it the upgraded piston design and cherry pick from the list of improvements they’ve made over the life of the engine minus the dpf/def.

if this is possible, who would you recommend to speak with?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

in 04' Mack had the CTP model with an MP-7... we called it a 'bastard truck' ...  I dint do much on them, but I wouldn't be surprised if what he is asking is 'do-able' .. jojo

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

yes sir,, 'V' and 'Fjh'  as well...  

I have one of these engines in an 07 Ctp713.  EGR only, nothing else.  I've been chasing an issue with it losing prime under a load and its driving me nuts.  Its very unpredictable and sometimes runs perfect.  I've gone through the entire fuel system outside of the engine and replaced the engine harness because of bare injector wiring under the valve cover.  Are injector cups my best next step?  I almost started pulling injectors until I saw the harness.  It fixed an intermittent injector code and seemed ok but then the problem came back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Big Mack Truck said:

I recently discovered 07 Mack pinnacle came with an MP7 and it doesn’t have a DPF on it.

I was curious to know if I could take an 04 epa MP7 and give it the upgraded piston design and cherry pick from the list of improvements they’ve made over the life of the engine minus the dpf/def.

if this is possible, who would you recommend to speak with?

Why would you want to do anything to one of those ?  In my opinion, one of those engines in good shape doesn't need much .  Once you accept that you're going to get passed going uphill, cups now and then and the occasional replacement of the harness.  They were an oddball, but none the less a good engine.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Big Mack Truck said:

They made it for the first year of production in 2007

Yup these even had the centramax filter !These guys  tossed out all the Mack Ideas! Not complicated enough for them guess  ! next year tossed it! I wouldn't mess with it my self!  what do you cherry pick ? The rockers change up we accidentally put the wrong rockers in one!( Parts dept Feasco)  that killed the power took us months to find what had happened!  (you have a Very rare truck there It will be a collectors item 30 years from now!) 😅 So many little changes that may or may not benefit  what your trying to accomplish!  I disagree 🙃!The  bastard trucks are the ones they build today! This one was half ass bastardized !The assimilation started at the frame!  That went first! Then the engine, now its the trans, diffs are yet to be burred they are working at it!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I remember these trucks came out in 2005ish. They wouldn't be able to produce these in 2007 because of the emissions changes. These were US04 emissions. Mack was first to receive the redesigned engine which was the MP7 which is really a Volvo 11L.

I remember working on these back in the day. They never really gave any issues, like the ones we have in 2007 to date. Just wiring and sensor issues. Cups never really gave any issues. I actually don't remember doing cups on these engines. I wouldn't mess around with it, in my opinion it s the better of engines in the MP series they have.

V

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Hans Remmers said:

I have one of these engines in an 07 Ctp713.  EGR only, nothing else.  I've been chasing an issue with it losing prime under a load and its driving me nuts.  Its very unpredictable and sometimes runs perfect.  I've gone through the entire fuel system outside of the engine and replaced the engine harness because of bare injector wiring under the valve cover.  Are injector cups my best next step?  I almost started pulling injectors until I saw the harness.  It fixed an intermittent injector code and seemed ok but then the problem came back.

How is the suction side of the fuel system? You may want to do some trouble shooting first. They did have issues with the fuel return check valve getting stuck open. Is the check engine light on when this happens? May be a cam or crank sensor. 

Just sayin.

V

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My buddy bought 9 of the CTP713’s and they are all still on the road working every day. Some of his were some of the earliest serial numbers in the 0014** with build dates in May of 2006 and he took delivery in middle of July. His last one was in the 0053** serial number range built in 12/20/06 and delivered in January 2007.  I kept lots of notes on serial numbers and models through the years . I had heard all kinds of rumors , such as long as the engine was built in 2006 they could still install them in chassis built in 2007 but the number was limited. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought 2.  One I still have and it has 1300000 miles on most of it.  the other one went into the 900000 range with very few problems before I sold it. Great drivability , cubic inch for cubic inch ??? one of the strongest engines Mack ever marketed. Respectable engine brake too.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Vmac3 said:

From what I remember these trucks came out in 2005ish. They wouldn't be able to produce these in 2007 because of the emissions changes. These were US04 emissions. Mack was first to receive the redesigned engine which was the MP7 which is really a Volvo 11L.

I remember working on these back in the day. They never really gave any issues, like the ones we have in 2007 to date. Just wiring and sensor issues. Cups never really gave any issues. I actually don't remember doing cups on these engines. I wouldn't mess around with it, in my opinion it s the better of engines in the MP series they have.

V

We sold a half dozen in early 2007 the cross over year 2006-2007  from gray to red ! basically trouble free units as stated a cup job or two one head gasket incident recently not a bad run really!  Agree don't mess with success!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Vmac3 said:

How is the suction side of the fuel system? You may want to do some trouble shooting first. They did have issues with the fuel return check valve getting stuck open. Is the check engine light on when this happens? May be a cam or crank sensor. 

Just sayin.

V

Replaced main suction line, isolated each tank, replaced filter housing(complete), transfer pump and overflow valve.  Basically everything external with the exception of the stupid euro swage lock banjo lines.  It will lose prime shut off and when you accelerate hard, but not always, sometimes runs perfect.  If you back out early enough and let it idle it will recover on its own, but if you try to just drive through it, it will lose prime and quit.  Always refires with just hand priming.  Low fuel pressure code when acts up and had #5 injector fault prior to harness replacement.  Was about to pull it apart and found bare injector wires touching near connector.  Has since thrown a #4 injector mechanical not responding once.  I've never gotten any further into this engine since we got it 4 years ago.  Are injector cups the next best step forward?

Anyways, back on topic of this thread, for a little morphodite bastard pup, prior to this issue its been a great truck.  It struggled with its stock 365hp backed by the mutant extended range 10 speed with its NY legal 24 ton.  Poor truck was built for tonnage, have 3 Cat powered 550hp dumps that can't get the tonnage this does.  I put in a TS performance module 3 years ago and it helped quite a bit and it still gets great mileage.  Almost double that of the 18 speed backed Acert Paystar.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is really great info from you guys, when he first posted this about changing things around I was like “why change anything you got a great truck/engine” these MPs are great engines when they are running right to todays standards. Especially if you have one pre dpf. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Install a clear plastic fuel line on the return side of the head and see if there is air in the fuel. Ive seen the pickup tube in the fuel tank cause issues with sucking in air as well. Im not saying cups are not the issue but these engines didn't have the failures as the newer ones.

V

Edited by Vmac3
Spelling
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mackpro said:

There just a few problems areas with the CTP and CXP trucks/engine. The exhaust temp sensor never lasted more than a month and Mack couldn’t find any one to build a good one so they came out with a delete kit . To remove it and the guage and a data file so it would set any more fault codes. Another issue was the EGR mass flow sensor always going bad. Mack borrowed this sensor from the ASET AC engine and one drop of water/coolant would wipe it out. There was a EECU download to raise the EGR opening temp higher to allow condensation in the EGR cooler to burn off before it got pushed through the mass flow sensor. I really didn’t help much as they still go out quite often. 

True on all counts.  At one point, I took a new EGR sending unit ( the crappy one they sell you ) plugged it in then secured it to the engine harness with a couple zip ties. Never touched it after that. Just left the old one in the exhaust pipe and cut off the wires with a cutoff wheel.  And you're correct. it really pays to make sure the cooling system has a good thermostat and everything works so as to eliminate as much condensation as possible.  and yes, the two easy bolts on the module for the mass air are enough to hold it 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...