2000 Rd690s info

Ricky Beals

Well I just saw all the pic's... nice truck, minor repairs to do, the trunnion cap doesnt looked cracked, that's a good thing. the missing indicater may be High beam or Park brake light,  I'm excited for you, Those trucks are great... jojo

• Like 2

Someone whacked that drivers side mirror pretty good haha. Plus side on these RDs is that Mack can still get you anything you need for them. A lot of Mack dealers still keep a lot of RD parts in their shop. It’s because they are still sooo many on the road. 

Ricky.... there is so much knowledge here, it's crazy..  I like these threads for a bunch of reason's. One big one is that I get to learn a different way to look at truck's that I have been around for more than 20 year's, I always learn something here, (Not saying I was a know-it-all before)..  What I learn here makes me better, when I'm serving my customers... Jojo

• Like 1

Just now, Joey Mack said:

Ricky.... there is so much knowledge here, it's crazy..  I like these threads for a bunch of reason's. One big one is that I get to learn a different way to look at truck's that I have been around for more than 20 year's, I always learn something here, (Not saying I was a know-it-all before)..  What I learn here makes me better, when I'm serving my customers... Jojo

Many of us share your thoughts Joey 👍

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ricky Beals said:

Sorry Mark T I don’t understand how to copy the ad but it’s a dump truck. Or it has a dump truck bed on it.67D17C89-F423-4121-B866-7DDE0E2BDE4F.jpeg.58912634b8d2c4b17efa0d1376e6a515.jpegDF3C0F8A-276D-44C3-B1E3-3203D26E4820.jpeg.5fac55f7288896eb64fc5926c0fb853d.jpeg

(lol)  like everyone else, I went to their site and looked at it.  All depends how much they want for it. Just a guess, but I think that truck has a fair amount of work left in it. 

2 hours ago, Ricky Beals said:

I understand now. Education is not free and I really had no idea how important front suspension is. I’m really thinking about selling that converted truck and buying something like we are talking about. It’s topics like this that helps us newbies. The problem with this truck is verified mileage. Having 200,000 miles is a lot different than 1.2 million. Thanks guys for response 

If you do decide to pull the trigger on it...I always recommend people to take someone that has a scan tool that can read for stored codes in the computer and tell you actual ecm miles.Those analog hour meter and odometer can be newer that the truck ..as they don't reflect the ecm mileage like the digital ones do...not to mention all the shady shenanigans people come up with to make an older truck seem newer...if you really like it , then paying 150$ to 250$ for someone to scan and tell you what's what, ain't that bad... 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Ricky Beals said:

Thank you for your very detailed response. I really appreciate your time. He wants 38,000.00. I figure you could offer him 35,000 cash and get it. The door rails are a good way to check for wear. Could you discuss how you look for overheating with head gasket please.

also I’m not familiar with that style dump bed. We mostly haul gravel and small stone where I’m from. How would that bed work with those items.

Hiw much weight can you haul in that dump bed? Rough guess

25 to 26+ tons easily,but that would put you way over the MGVW of that truck,just my two cents but that truck is not set up right,needs 58000 rears or a drop axle..

1 hour ago, MACKS said:

25 to 26+ tons easily,but that would put you way over the MGVW of that truck,just my two cents but that truck is not set up right,needs 58000 rears or a drop axle..

What rears you think is in it.? Of course I’m just not use to that style dump bed. I guess that bed just has higher sides where the ones I’m used to has a 2x12 on top of sides.

Personally I never have used the pusher axle I have but I’m not hauling very far either. I understand It allows you to carry more weight.

Edited by Ricky Beals

17 minutes ago, Ricky Beals said:

What rears you think is in it.? Of course I’m just not use to that style dump bed. I guess that bed just has higher sides where the ones I’m used to has a 2x12 on top of sides.

Personally I never have used the pusher axle I have but I’m not hauling very far either. I understand Tharp allow you to carry more weight.

In the add it says 44 rears and 18 front,that’s thousands,that’s 62000 gross weight,truck weighs 27000 empty + or -, legal.  net weight is around 35000 or 17.5 tons, I’ve been dump trucking a long time and just gonna give u a heads up,that truck is way over priced,25 to 27000 would be about right,good luck..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R.E.D said:

If you do decide to pull the trigger on it...I always recommend people to take someone that has a scan tool that can read for stored codes in the computer and tell you actual ecm miles.Those analog hour meter and odometer can be newer that the truck ..as they don't reflect the ecm mileage like the digital ones do...not to mention all the shady shenanigans people come up with to make an older truck seem newer...if you really like it , then paying 150$ to 250$ for someone to scan and tell you what's what, ain't that bad... 

I had no idea you can get miles from the ecm. I have a scan tool that reads codes for cars but I’m sure the big trucks have a different plug in. This truck is also in a very populated area so maybe I can find someone like JoJo to help me. 

5 minutes ago, MACKS said:

In the add it says 44 rears and 18 front,that’s thousands,that’s 62000 gross weight,truck weighs 27000 empty + or -, legal.  net weight is around 35000 or 17.5 tons, I’ve been dump trucking a long time and just gonna give u a heads up,that truck is way over priced,25 to 27000 would be about right,good luck..

I appreciate your advice. Yes sir when you buy thru a truck dealer your going have to pay extra. Now that dealer probably paid that for the truck. 

this has been a very informative thread for me. I again want to thank each one of you for your comments. 

Edited by Ricky Beals

Axle Ratio is 5.55, so that will be nice with that trans/engine.  Frame and underside of the bed look immaculate short of being new (bear in mind a halfway decent used truck up in the northeast has the frame rails spreading up to 1/2 inch from rust...) Hard to really tell frame rust from the pictures, but it looks good.  Just needs a lift axle to take it to PA's 73,280 maximum legal weight for triaxles and it'd sell quick up here!

I don't know where you intend to run this truck (which state). I see its being sold In Arkansas. I'm not familiar with the axle requirements for Arkansas or whichever state you live in. But yes in my opinion for a truck that clean and well kept $38,000 is a reasonable asking price if it were a triaxle (having a drop axle) in my area. Tandems have a purpose but they are not as sought after and in my area they are almost non existent. You could add a drop axle but that is a whole different subject. Yes a drop axle allows you to carry more weight but more importantly provides more braking. If a tandem suits your needs and you can make money with one I wouldn't hesitate for a second if everything checks out. I would definitely rather have a nice old girl like this in my stable over one of these new fangled, over engineered, sensor laden piles of rolling crap they sell new as trucks for a cool $150,000+. At least you can fix it yourself and won't be riddled with weeks of downtime while the stealership "technicians" try to figure out which loop of electronic wizardry caused you to go into limp mode while pulling a 8% grade fully loaded........That truck is a literal block of granite and will probably outlast most of us if taken care of and looked after.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MACKS said:

I second that  price range..with cash in hand you could get it mid to high 20s.that company probably paid around 15k to 20k for that truck if that..cash is king.

Here in houston, there are about 10 to 15 dump truck outfitters churning out dump trucks non stop....these old work horses are not as desirable as they are up north , but I wouldn't trade any of those road queens for that combination of gear train in that rd690.

I had no idea you can get miles from the ecm. I have a scan tool that reads codes for cars but I’m sure the big trucks have a different plug in. This truck is also in a very populated area so maybe I can find someone like JoJo to help me. 

Search your local Craig's list under services , and look for a heavy diesel mechanic.they most likely will have diagnostics equipment and will be able to help you.

Here is a quick summary of Arkansas dump truck law.

Quick Summary / Synopsis for Dump Trucks

Arkansas has adopted the FBF state-wide, but they also allow old grandfathered state law limits, which are as follows: Limit on any single axle is 18,000 lbs. Limit on any tandem axles (less than 96" apart) is 32,000 lbs. Gross weight limit is 73,280 lbs.

can someone explain to me what this means with that truck? What does a pusher add to the equation. Told you guys I was a newbie

Here is a quick summary of Arkansas dump truck law.

Quick Summary / Synopsis for Dump Trucks

Arkansas has adopted the FBF state-wide, but they also allow old grandfathered state law limits, which are as follows: Limit on any single axle is 18,000 lbs. Limit on any tandem axles (less than 96" apart) is 32,000 lbs. Gross weight limit is 73,280 lbs.

can someone explain to me what this means with that truck? What does a pusher add to the equation. Told you guys I was a newbie

5 hours ago, MACKS said:

Ok if we look at MACKS post we can carry 62,000 but we subtract the weight of the truck. Let’s say it’s 27,000 so that leave us 35,000. Seems like Arkansas law only allows 34,000 on a tandem so I can carry 17 tons (34,000). When I load my dump I start in the front by dog box and work back to bed with a big scoop from excavator. I then pile it up in middle   To the middle breaks the plain of my 2x12’s. I have no idea how much is on the truck. Based on a dump truck hauling gravel how do they measure each axle to see if I overloaded one. Anybody?

10 hours ago, Ricky Beals said:

It looks like you are allowed 34,000 on the rear tandems and 18,000 on the front for a total GVWR of 52,000. You are not limited to a lesser GVW by the components of this truck since it has 44k rears and an 18k front axle with 385 float tires. If we assume it weighs 28,000 you can net 24000 pounds, which is 12 tons....I assume if it was a triaxle it would be allowed to gross 73,280 lbs which is how it is in PA. With a drop axle it would be around 30-31,000 pounds. 73280-31000 is 42,280 pounds or 21 tons. "Legally" for hauling weight a tandem is kind of useless as you can see. The truck will easily haul much more than 12 tons as is but you wont be legal. And as stated previously the drop axle provides the additional carrying capacity to get to 73280 GVW as well as additional braking power to stop it.

Thanks 67Rmodel. My truck will spend a lot of time dumping gravel. Those places are always going be a little rough. For now this is mostly helping myself improve some land that has been neglected for years. I got to move a lot of dirt from one place to another. Dig a pond and fix some roads. I definitely get what your saying and understand that if I’m going to start earning money with a dump truck it needs a third axle. I’m kinda in that stage of life I need to make a little money to pay a few bills but mainly I just want to enjoy what I’m doing. Hopefully this all comes together. Heck I may drive the 7speed and hate it. I’m driving the 9speed Maxitorque now so hopefully it want be to much of a change. 

i practically memorized your post on how to shift a 7 speed so I’m looking forward to going and looking at this truck.

Edited by Ricky Beals

8 minutes ago, Ricky Beals said:

i practically memorized your post on how to shift a 7 speed so I’m looking forward to going and looking at this truck.

The pattern is literally like a 5 speed pickup truck plus you have the two under gears in holes 1 and 2 which you probably wont use that much. The big difference between them and a Fuller or even the 9 speed you are driving now is the rpm drops between gears. Once you understand it and get used to it they are very humbling and pleasant to drive.

Well I’m headed up tomorrow to look at the old gal. Hope she is in as good of shape as photos show. I’m in no hurry to buy. Looking at 8,000.00 to add steer axle and 5,000.00 for non steer. That’s a 20,000lb axle. 13,000 was a little cheaper. I’m just not thinking the dealership going come off price 10,000. What would y’all set your bottom dollar at.

I'd talk to someone in your state about axle weight configurations.  In PA we get away with 73,280 on steer, lift, and tandem.  Other states require 4 or 5 rear axles to hit that much weight.  Don't know what Arkansas allows.  Pull up and ask a state trooper next time you see one!   As far as being caught overweight on one axle, DOT enforcement has portable scales they'll use to weigh each wheel.  If you're moving dirt on site you don't have to worry about "legal" weights, Mack rates their 44k rears for more if kept below a certain speed.  If you're going down the road it's another story.

With them 5.55 rears and that seven spd trans changing to a 9 or 13 spd trans will not work, rear ends are to slow , that seven spd has a real wide overdrive, i have driven them and don't like it for a dump  truck.   terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

Looked at the truck and it was a nice truck. The test drive didn’t go as planned. The truck would start loping and die. Pull over and wait a few minutes and it would start and we limped back down highway, truck would die and then it would take longer to start. Finally made it back and the mechanic on site drove it around the parking lot and I saw a long stream of blue smoke come out exhaust when he let off gas. Only saw it once and truck had no blow by. The owner was an odd guy to work with. He wanted me to put 5,000 down and he would then know I was interested and fix the truck. I’m like no fix the truck and we can negotiate but he acted like I was not being reasonable. I then thanked him and left. Kind of a weird don’t y’all think.