Peanuts question and top speed calculation

JoeH

Question

13 answers to this question

My understanding is no Mack bogie drive is fully open in the power divider area

The air operated type of doohickie you mention is to lock the power divider for slippery conditions 

And yes 65 MPH with out knowing the details of the Allison is probably pretty close

Paul

• Thanks 1

From what I could locate on an Allison HD4560P it has a mechanical ratio (torque converter clutch locked) of 0.67:1 in top gear. I assume the AI-350 engine is governed at 2100rpm? I have never seen or heard of using 315 rubber on drive axles but I guess its possible. If so Goodyear lists their 315/80/22.5 tires at 484 rev/mile. With all that being said, on paper your top speed would be between 72 and 73 mph in top gear at 2100 rpm.

I have done PDI's on many Republic waste trucks. they come with (10) 315 steer tires on them, then at their shop they pull the rear tires off and put them in stock for steer tires, then put cheapass caps on the rear's... jojo

15 hours ago, Mark T said:

Waste Management uses capped 315s on drives.  I've seen lots of roll offs and packers from The City  like that too. 

I assume you mean Erie, PA. I wonder why they would do that considering dual tandem rears running 11R22.5 tires and a drop axle are legal for the gross weight the truck is registered at. My experience with Waste Management is they are crazy budget conscience and always looking for a way to lower operating costs. Capped 11R22.5 drive tires have to be way cheaper than 315s although I have never bought 315 tires.

1 hour ago, 67RModel said:

I assume you mean Erie, PA. I wonder why they would do that considering dual tandem rears running 11R22.5 tires and a drop axle are legal for the gross weight the truck is registered at. My experience with Waste Management is they are crazy budget conscience and always looking for a way to lower operating costs. Capped 11R22.5 drive tires have to be way cheaper than 315s although I have never bought 315 tires.

A 315 is much more forgiving when run with a flat tire next to it, especially with the constant sharp turning.  Also has a lot more ground contact when driving into landfills.

And yes this was a trash truck.

The main question I had on peanuts is whether "full open" was an option, I have to test it again but I think I got it stuck in the yard with only one wheel spinning. I'd love to have full lockers, but people dont spec them enough for there to be any in used parts yards.

Edited by JoeH

You know, now that I think about it, I THINK I jacked up one wheel on a tandem Mack once, put it in gear, and that one tire spun free without trying to move.  That truck did NOT have the air locker.  So...maybe?  Maybe there were full open models?  But, I cannot answer that part of the question with 100% confidence.  Interesting question, though.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."