On 12/10/2021 at 1:43 PM, Licensed to kill said:

That must have been post 1959 as I have taken 2 of those apart and there is NOTHING easy about taking the grill shell/inner fenders/headlight bezels apart. Don't know how they assembled that mess on an assembly line. 

Thats about right, they went to a bracket attached to the headlight panel that went to the radiator support,instead of having the panel bolted to the shell itself. So all you had was the bolts on top,the one on each side behind the hood latch,and 2 at the bottom that went to a bracket on the shutters. I hope I explained that right . If I could still post pics on this damn site ,there's a nice illustration in one of my older Mack all purpose, m.anuals

On 12/12/2021 at 7:24 PM, h67st said:

This is how.

Old Mack Plant.jpg

That DOES answer to one question I had, that being should I assemble the front clip and THEN put it on the chassis or assemblymen;e it on the chassis. However, the BIG question was how did they get it to that point. As I recall there are several bolts that are quite difficult to access.

2 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

I worked at a dealer when these trucks was still in production and when we pulled the engine we pulled the front off in a assy like this.You could have the fenders  and rad off in 45 minites.The engine could be pulled then in less than two hours.Many people dont know this but the trans stays in the frame when the engine comes out.

Do you still have your B model,Glenn ?

We never supported the rear because you want the rear of the trans to drop a few inches so it will let the front of the engine raise up enough to clear the front crosss member.If i fork lift it out of the shop i  put a chain on the rear of the trans.If the trans drops down much then the mount bolts may be loose.Yours is quad or triplex so it may drop down more.Its been 40 years since i have been around a quad or triplex.I had a 18 speed maxitorque in mine and about 4 months ago me and my son change the engine and it did not drop down no more than what we need it too.Its in a Ch and they are so easy to change.

glenn akers

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 6:57 AM, Mike Harbison said:

Thats about right, they went to a bracket attached to the headlight panel that went to the radiator support,instead of having the panel bolted to the shell itself. So all you had was the bolts on top,the one on each side behind the hood latch,and 2 at the bottom that went to a bracket on the shutters. I hope I explained that right . If I could still post pics on this damn site ,there's a nice illustration in one of my older Mack all purpose, m.anuals

Hi Mike, I could use that diagram and probably a bunch more people could also.  If you scan it to me or take a picture maybe I or one of the admins can get it up.