Exhaust Part???

Hello Everyone 

I’m trying to reroute my exhaust and put a muffler on my truck right now it’s straight pipe. I look at the pipe coming from the exhaust and saw what looks like to me a little cylinder or a “gate” on the side of the exhaust  pipe with a beaded like at the bottom (maybe air?) Do anyone know what it really is and what it’s for? Please take a look at the pictures. I want to run my exhaust under my cab but I’m not sure I’m I remove this what will happen. Truck is 1997 CH 613 Thanks for any input. 

81521B73-280E-4557-97A4-E90B01A9997C.jpeg

0B929F5F-66E9-44AB-9A0F-407C12057039.jpeg

322E50E2-DC8C-40C3-9F6E-B68D123A64DC.jpeg

188B7482-E19E-445E-968B-62DD524CC9E3.jpeg

just for kicks, look up 'stealth brakes' this may be one of those rare cases....  I barely remember them add on to assist the crapy dynatards....  I could be all wrong here, but..... jojo

That's a Stealth Brake and it is intended to work in conjunction with the Jake. If it's removed (if it even still works) you may want to consider resetting the lash on the Jake. That exhaust brake enables it to have a larger lash than a non exhaust brake should (should ) have. 

4 hours ago, Hans Remmers said:

It must be attached to an air solenoid that is typically easy to unhook.  Is it an electronic or mechanical engine?  Does it have an engine brake as well?  I've never seen a CH that didn't run the exhaust right under the cab.  That seems pretty rare on a Mack.

Mechanical Engine and no engine brake 

Being mechanical it is most likely to have an internal or external throttle switch on the injection pump that could be unhooked as well.  It seems you would know if it was operational or not and should have a dash control switch like an engine brake.  In some cases they can work as well as an engine brake and are utilized in situations when trying to avoid the noise of an engine brake.

All our 97 ch have them. They’re electronic engines.   The solenoid will be on the passenger side inside the frame rail behind front tire.   On our Jake switch, 1 was both heads and position 2 was both heads and butterfly.   Worked better than nothing but not great.    

1 hour ago, Glensts said:

All our 97 ch have them. They’re electronic engines.   The solenoid will be on the passenger side inside the frame rail behind front tire.   On our Jake switch, 1 was both heads and position 2 was both heads and butterfly.   Worked better than nothing but not great.    

I Have an electrical pump(grey plug on the side) so would this make mine like yours? But I don’t have a switch on the dash I’ve had this truck since 2013 and never used an exhaust brake. I only found out about this because I decided to reroute my exhaust because it got damaged 

(lol)  well at least now it's making some sense .  If it's a Jacobs (Jake Brake)  there's not going to be any switch that says "exhaust brake" as mentioned by someone else here it was supposed to work with the engine brake switch .  They were  hot thing in that era .  Only thing it ever stopped for me was the turbo's life.

I helped 2 guys when I was a kid farm, they bought a new to them 95JD combine. 40 miles from home & drove it with the variable speed in low because they wouldn’t see what that lever was. I remember the brother asking what that lever was & the other slapping his hand don’t fool with that. You should’ve seen the looks on there faces when the got home & pushed the lever to high!!

• Haha 1