Back in a Mack G

Thanks for all your comments. Got a call into Tom Pierce on this. Been friends with him since his “Big John” restoration. Also no maxi conversion possible without major changes as the RA91 axle has the chambers directly below and up against the springs. 

Wow score nice looking ride from what  I heard they were Mack westerns norm Taunton had 2 of them at one time…. I think they were the the only ones I have ever seen in person … that’s excellent,, have a ball with it.. but why the natural aspirated????  Bob

It also had a 10 speed unishift transmission 5 speed with a hi- lo air splitter wasn’t crazy about it. You had to pause and wait for it to click into hi alotta times it would get stuck in neutral if you didn’t wait long enough to let the clutch out… bob

3 hours ago, mowerman said:

It also had a 10 speed unishift transmission 5 speed with a hi- lo air splitter wasn’t crazy about it. You had to pause and wait for it to click into hi alotta times it would get stuck in neutral if you didn’t wait long enough to let the clutch out… bob

Wasn't the Unishift in essence a Duplex with an air splitter????

• Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 10:43 AM, D2Denny said:

Thanks for all your comments. Got a call into Tom Pierce on this. Been friends with him since his “Big John” restoration. Also no maxi conversion possible without major changes as the RA91 axle has the chambers directly below and up against the springs. 

I have the SWDL56 rears on my H67, it had the brake chambers up against the frame rails so I couldn't use maxis. I saw some trucks that had the spiders rotated one bolt hole to put the brake chamber below the frame rail, I don't know if this would work on yours but as long as your parking brake is in good shape you'll be fine with it.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:25 PM, D2Denny said:

Tracked this truck back to Tom Pierce and his restoration shop in Blissfield, Michigan. He purchased it around 1992, restored it, painted it in Norwalk Truck Lines livery and took it to the 1994 ATHS show in Buffalo. I was there with my 36 Dodge LE32 but don't really remember it. It was sold in his auction to Bill Smith in 1994.  Will be inquiring of the Mack Museum for the build sheet and who it was originally sold to.

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

I really didn't think it was Tom's old one,but I hadnt seen it in nearly 30 years. How's he doing,its been 5 or 6 years since I've heard from him.

12 hours ago, D2Denny said:

H67st.  See your in the Johnstown area. Are you a member of the BVH and do you run with Don Martin and Dan Vaness a couple of the big time truck collectors in the area??

Larry   Since you switched over to air start do you have a schematic of the system? The H has an air starter and it won't hold air for 30 minutes. Have to start troubleshooting it. Might consider switching to electric if much cost involved in repairing what I have.

Mike   Tom is getting up there in years now but he is still the cheerful, amiable self he was 30 years ago. If you want to contact him give me your email and I will forward his phone #

Back in my earlier Mack Days 2002 on the way to Syracuse ATHS show

IMG_0030 - Copy.jpg

Nice pair.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

On 10/27/2021 at 8:41 PM, D2Denny said:

H67st.  See your in the Johnstown area. Are you a member of the BVH and do you run with Don Martin and Dan Vaness a couple of the big time truck collectors in the area??

Larry   Since you switched over to air start do you have a schematic of the system? The H has an air starter and it won't hold air for 30 minutes. Have to start troubleshooting it. Might consider switching to electric if much cost involved in repairing what I have.

I'm a member of BVH but I don't get to all the shows, I've seen those guys but don't know them personally.

My air start system had some leaks, one thing I did was put a new ball valve on the tank outlet so when the truck is going to be sitting I can shut it off. Mowerman is right, you could look at the check valve...also soap the fittings or listen for leaks with a stethoscope hose.

• Like 1

Dennis, when I converted mine over I followed Vince VanNewkirks advice.  Ditch the old steam valve in the cab and install a tank mounted valve with remote operation.  I really wanted that old valve but Vince said it would always be a problem.  He runs air start on all his work trucks.

The alum tank came with air operated valve on the tank(wished it would have been electric so I could use existing starter button).  I bought a new air push button for the dash, rebuilt the valve on the tank and a new check valve into the tank.  It holds over 100# for 7 months with no problem.

The only line off the tank goes to the starter so there are no chances for leaks while sitting.  The control valve is all new so it too should last a long time.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"