1962 Mack on eBay.

I see where a 62 Mack with flat bed trailer didn't sell on eBay. High bid was  $9600. It had been repainted and motor rebuilt. Looked nice to me but I'm new to this stuff. What you think it was worth for the combo? Had 460,000 miles, motor had 180hp, 10 speed trans.

I wouldn't have sold the truck for that price either. That looks like a real clean truck and trailer, and full trailer capability on the truck too. I think I have close to that price in my truck and it doesn't look that nice.

1962 B

Figure $3,000 or $4,000 dollars for the trailer alone since it is operational and assuming it has a title. The truck has $2500 worth of tires on it plus new rims. It says new drums and brake linings. Drums for dayton hubs are outrageous these days compared to a regular budd wheel or hub pilot drums. An engine overhaul could range from a few thousand dollars for new rod and main bearings to 15 or 20 thousand dollars for a complete overhaul, and new head / machine work. I imagine overhaul parts for a thermodyne are crazy expensive if you can even find them. The bodywork and details look pretty darn nice too. Plus I just reread the ebay listing.....trailer has 8 new tires and brakes and oak deck....somebody has a good $7000 wrapped up in just the trailer alone. Not enough information on the engine overhaul to figure a price on that plus it depends on the condition of the truck before they started the restoration.  Somebody has an easy 25,000 to 35,000 in todays dollars to get to what you see there (truck and trailer).  When you start down this road the dollars add up exponentially....🤑

Edited by 67RModel
  • Like 2

really hard to believe anything in the ad, since this is being sold by a dealer simply to flip for big money. 

truck model BGIT? really?

V6? really? 

ac don't work? really?

new york historic tags on truck, and maine tags on trailer, pictures probably taken in new york, but for sale in omaha nebraska.

while it is a nice looking truck, i bet it is going to be a BIG can of worms. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

recreational toys.....nobody ever expects to see thier money back..paying for entertainment....enjoying the restoration...same as seeing a movie,,,or paying for carnival ride.....well we had alotta fun,,but now i need my money back...lol.good luck with that....bob

• Like 1
  • Like 1

But yes I can also appreciate what these fellows are saying for all that work supposedly done if you’re looking for something that you can use right away it would be well worth it although I wouldn’t pay any more than 10 Gs. Mainly because who can get excited about a 180 ha ha boat anchor engine 300+ even 285 would be more appealing … bob

Sounds about right. I agree with Bob in theory that someone who really liked and cared for that truck has passed and it's now being peddled by a greedy agent for equally greedy family members.

• Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Curious to see how long before it sells at that asking price. I had an old shotgun of my grandpa's that someone once told me was worth some good money. I sold it 15 or so years later thinking that. I had 4 four  older guys come look at it, they showed me why it was nuttin special. Same thing happens with trucks too. I can't remember what kind of shotgun it was now. Harleys are the same way now, don't hold the value they once did.

Well here lately I noticed antique cars fixer-upper’s our through the roof I was considering a 64 galaxy A while back everybody wanted around 10,000 or anything running now we’re up to 30 for anything running like whaaaaaaaaaaat???????!?! Lol bob

2 hours ago, mowerman said:

Don’t know I just know the cars are out of sight now there’s no way I’m going to pay 30 grand or something you could buy for $100 a few years ago…., bob

My neighbour was looking to buy farmland in the late 90's. Asking price was $55,000 per 1/4. He said 
there's no way I'm paying $55,000 for land that was selling for $35,000 just a few years ago. That land is going for north of $400,000 per 1/4 today. I suspect that the guys that turned down Hemi cars in the 80's because they weren't going to pay $7-8000 for acre that they could have bought in the mid 70's for $1500 are kinda wishing they had pulled the trigger when they were $8,000. Same cars today fetch 6 figures. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

A B-61 similar looking to the one in this thread sold at auction a few months ago and went for around $32,000CAD/ Like everything, they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay

Yes. And this combination is easily worth $32,000 to somebody who wants a nice B model and realizes its going to take $30k - $40k and a year or two of their lives to build one from a $2500 pile of would be scrap metal they bought off Craigslist or Marketplace....assuming they even had the means to do a restoration. Plus you get a trailer with this one.

• Like 2

But I also guess it depends on the condition if it’s just a paint job and tires it can still nickel and dime you to death Ha ha ha something like truck shop put together yes that would be way worth it…..Such as brand new brake cans new lines new valves etc. brake shoes seals radiator core .who really knows …but yes I do agree . You can save a lot of money sometimes by buying something that’s at least somewhat gone through at least rebuilt engine and tires it is a big plus  ….bob

On 6/28/2021 at 4:38 AM, Licensed to kill said:

My neighbour was looking to buy farmland in the late 90's. Asking price was $55,000 per 1/4. He said 
there's no way I'm paying $55,000 for land that was selling for $35,000 just a few years ago. That land is going for north of $400,000 per 1/4 today. I suspect that the guys that turned down Hemi cars in the 80's because they weren't going to pay $7-8000 for acre that they could have bought in the mid 70's for $1500 are kinda wishing they had pulled the trigger when they were $8,000. Same cars today fetch 6 figures. 

Bit of a Thread Hijack here...:loldude: But..

When You're referring to a 1/4  You mean a quarter of a Square mile (160 Acres).....????  :idunno:

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -