Would be cool to see Mack make trucks like this Kenworth

1 hour ago, Steve L said:

Unfortunately autocardc I don’t think Volvo have the capability or the interest in producing monster trucks like Mack’s 

used to. 

They have the Capability just not the the interest!  If they did ! Would it be as tough as a Mack Design ?NOPE !Durability Is Not on the agenda these days for any manufacturer!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

What do you call those snorkels used in AUS on the air cleaners and where would a guy get some??. 

The bit that the Chrome Extension fits into is(I Think) a  Donaldson Cyclopac Precleaner..

Ads for buying Them I'd guess either as Spare Parts, or from a Wrecking Yard..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Almost any truck parts supplier can get these that vendors Donaldson Air Filter products:

image.jpeg.2ce5beea0166d539590f79c24d30556c.jpeg

These are aluminum and durable but the cost is pretty heavy:

https://turboprecleaner.com/product-line/turbo-iii-power-ram/

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That’s them Rob. Here the Donaldson ones are predominantly plastic, cost around $150. The 6” chrome or stainless pipe can be picked up anywhere, the 3 leg support bracket is hugely expensive, there’s a guy in Toowoomba making stainless ones. And last but not least is the friggin air cleaner they’re like hens teef to find. There’s one side for sale here on gumtree and the joker wants $2.500 for it. ( I think he’s playing with something ) Mack’s haven’t supplied these for years. You don’t see many on American Mack’s I guess they’re not popular there. I’m referring to the air cleaners with the row of black plastic bolts around the top, all Mack’s were fitted them here in OZ. . . . . anyway I’m off to the dunny. 

You see a few over here from time to time but not like in the COE days when they were much more prevalent. I have a couple of the Maradyne "Power Ram" styles from many years ago saved from upset trucks where they were replaced with new. Think I have a new Donaldson also. The support band and arms I always made myself and have never purchased one. Far too expensive for my tastes even in the 1970's.....

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

On 6/6/2021 at 12:39 AM, Steve L said:

That’s them Rob. Here the Donaldson ones are predominantly plastic, cost around $150. The 6” chrome or stainless pipe can be picked up anywhere, the 3 leg support bracket is hugely expensive, there’s a guy in Toowoomba making stainless ones. And last but not least is the friggin air cleaner they’re like hens teef to find. There’s one side for sale here on gumtree and the joker wants $2.500 for it. ( I think he’s playing with something ) Mack’s haven’t supplied these for years. You don’t see many on American Mack’s I guess they’re not popular there. I’m referring to the air cleaners with the row of black plastic bolts around the top, all Mack’s were fitted them here in OZ. . . . . anyway I’m off to the dunny. 

Pretty sure and open to correction that when Mack Australia started using that style of air cleaner they were only used on Macks with Mack running gear, if it had another manufacturers motor it had a normal Donaldson dry element

Paul

BTW, I have a 1981 200 ton Superliner (which I’m just starting to restore) its all original and all Mack except for the second spicer gearbox. I have it’s build sheet and a picture of delivery when new and it came out with different air cleaners which are still on the truck. I’m often told these cleaners meant a Cat or Cummins engine, but not so. I wonder when the Mack air cleaners were introduced, maybe after 1981. 

• Like 1