These guys have a 90 mack R model with an E6 and a 5 speed trans. Long frame, it's a city truck which had a vac tank set up on it. They were driving it until the battery box rusted out and the batteries fell out and tore the cable loose and they just retired it. They want $500 for it, so I'm probably going to go get it. I set a stool next to it with a battery and it fired right up and runs good. It's not bad, the cab is perfect, the interior is rough which is always the case in old city drivers. Just the 5 speed tranny is a big disadvantage. I'm likely to just steal the cab off it and scrap it. 

• Like 2

I'll get some pics up. No, it's not mint and ready to go cross country. But it's not bad either. It def needs some work but it runs and moves. They let some stuff go for a while. The clutch doesn't feel terrific and it's a city truck. You aren't getting on the interstate in something like this. Needs a battery box and a couple E31's. I'll make cables for it. The cab, glass and pump is worth the money.  This would actually be a good export truck. Afghanistan or Sur America. 

6 hours ago, Miami Cossack said:

I'll get some pics up. No, it's not mint and ready to go cross country. But it's not bad either. It def needs some work but it runs and moves. They let some stuff go for a while. The clutch doesn't feel terrific and it's a city truck. You aren't getting on the interstate in something like this. Needs a battery box and a couple E31's. I'll make cables for it. The cab, glass and pump is worth the money.  This would actually be a good export truck. Afghanistan or Sur America. 

No such thing as a good export truck. They have enough of our old Macks. 

• Like 2

That and the "scrapping frenzy" that went on a few years ago when prices were up has really depleted used and rebuildable parts available to keep older trucks operational. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Amen on the scrapping B.S. Obama's "cash for clunkers" was one program.. I have had many "core" parts over the years, But can't find anyone who will buy them to re-build them. So I guess I will hold on to them from now on, and look for rebuild kits myself. 

On 1/25/2021 at 7:12 AM, Rob said:

That and the "scrapping frenzy" that went on a few years ago when prices were up has really depleted used and rebuildable parts available to keep older trucks operational. 

There is scrapping and recycling yard in Elmsford NY ( Brookfield Resource Management) that scraps lots of old trucks that seem to have life left in them. Many are Macks from municipalities etc. They used to export some but I don't think they sell the whole trucks any more and not sure what happens to the parts or if they just crush them. I personally don't mind the export of old trucks because at least they have a higher chance of another life than being crushed. We can't save them all but it would be good to know that the scrapped ones keep others going here.

• Like 2

I send a lot of buses to a third party who send them to Laos and Brazil. Buses literally never retire. Many will go ten years or longer without break linings. The concept of DOT/MOT or PM is a campfire laugh to them. But I spent many years in Somalia and those people never discard anything, especially a truck. Even if it blows up, they will make an Ox cart from the parts

• Like 1

The batteries and battery box are here. That's just under $500. I spent a couple days when I could finder time fixing about 15 air leaks. The seat bottom is $107, that's on the way. I'll start on the A/C when I get some time, front tyres and paint it. This used to be yellow. The guy just wants new trucks. Image means a lot. These Are really well maintained trucks compared to some of the stuff I see. The A/C doesn't work and a lot of air leaks. If the batteries weren't dragging on the highway, it would probably still be doing septic suck-outs. 

• Like 1