Split Rings to Dayton Open Center

Hey there everyone.  I recently picked up my first MACK.  It is a 1961 B61 6 wheeler.  I will snap some picks and post in the introduction forum soon.  My first purchase will be new rubber for the old girl.  It currently has 11.00 - 20's on split rings.  I am looking to get the split rings out from under the truck due to ease of finding rubber as a reasonable price.  It seems I can get a 11R22.5 way easier and cheaper than a 11.00 - 20.  I will also not have to deal with the garage preaching about how dangerous the split rings are.

As you all know, this forum is great and I think I have it almost all figured out.  I am understanding that the 11R22.5 is a direct replacement for the 11.00 - 20.  My question is this, am I looking for a 8.25x22.5 open center wheel?  I am looking at buying a 8.25x22.5 open center wheel and mounting a 12R22.5 tire on it.  Why the 12R?  Because it seems a bit easier to get than the 11R.

I think that covers it, thanks in advance for the help. 

1 hour ago, j hancock said:

Both the 11R and 12R22.5 are DOT approved for mounting on an 8.25 X 22.5 tubeless rim to replace the 20" tube type multi-piece rim.

Do you think the depth of the new 8.25 rim will work on the rear axle?  Do you  think I will need a new spacer?  I am a total newbie with the spokes.  I guess I could just order the new rims and tires and see.  If the worse thing I run into is needing new spacers, I will be in good shape.    

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

i used to work on those all day long,,,,at 17 years old in a tire shop.....1973......they didnt bother me a bit,,,i used to sit on them,,while i was inflating them..now at 64,i would feel better with solid rims...bob

If you sat on a split rim, while airing it up you were playing Russian roulette!   terry:MackLogo:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, B61Hobby said:

Do you think the depth of the new 8.25 rim will work on the rear axle?  Do you  think I will need a new spacer?  I am a total newbie with the spokes.  I guess I could just order the new rims and tires and see.  If the worse thing I run into is needing new spacers, I will be in good shape.    

You "should" be OK on the rear.  Like you said get them and try mounting them up.  Spacers can be had in different widths depending on application but you then may have to get different depth rim clamps (lugs or wedges) to make the combo tighten properly to the spoke hubs.  Best not to open a can of worms quite yet.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

if the truck is original in the back is should have 3 5/8s spacers on it. you might have to go to a 4'' wide spacer and get shorter wedges. I have 12 r 22/5's on the back of a single axle B model dump and they are close but don't touch. guess youll have to try with it loaded and see how much they squeeze together with some weight on it

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Still plenty of new demountable tubeless rims out there.  Accuride is one of them.

As I recall, 20" tube-type and 22.5" tubeless are interchangeable (small spider), and 22" tube-type and 24.5" tubeless are interchangeable (large spider).  Somebody correct me if I remembered that wrong.

I also had another tube-type rim on my truck.  It was the 3-piece design (see below).  Accuride still lists these.  Had a solid (not split) outer rim.  Press the outer rim down and put the split lock ring on.  When the air built up, it pushed the solid outer rim over the split lock ring, squeezing it down, rather than pushing it out.  A lot better than a 2-piece widowmaker, but still nowhere near as good as a 1-piece tubeless setup.  I recall seeing that same 3-piece setup somewhere else with an o-ring to seal it up and use tubeless tires.  Never had any experience with one though.

https://www.accuridecorp.com/sites/default/files/resources/2020-01/W1.000 Rev.5 Accuride Wheels Product Catalog.pdf

image.thumb.png.1e60de51119abbd25ffee3c533d7a38b.png

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Earthmoving style rims have that o ring your talking about when tubeless

As far as spacers go, if you find you need a wider spacer just weld a bit of 3/8 rod around, if still need more space weld another piece of 3/8 rod around the other side

Just need to make sure the wedges dont bottom out on duels

Paul 

• Like 1