Amish Heavy Haul

j hancock

13 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Not the same Amish i saw riding around in a pontoon boat monday afternoon.

The ones you saw were the same teenagers who used to drive their horse and buggy up to the Wagon Wheel diner on RT 30 in Paradise PA and drop a dime in the pay phone to call their friends.

Brocky

3 hours ago, Brocky said:

The ones you saw were the same teenagers who used to drive their horse and buggy up to the Wagon Wheel diner on RT 30 in Paradise PA and drop a dime in the pay phone to call their friends.

Brocky my dad and I used to stop in there all the time when he was pulling new trailers out of the Trailmobile Factory in West Point, Pa. to the Trailmobile branch in Lancaster. The place burned to the ground about 10-15 years ago. 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Most Amish, I have seen, lead fairly strict lives.  Mennonites dress in a similar way and have many of the same religious teachings but they have and drive cars and such.  

Talked to a Mennonite fellow back in 1978 in the Lancaster, PA area and he drove a Benz and had a fleet of Peterbilt's trucking petroleum products.  Should have asked him why he wasn't running Mack equipment considering that Allentown was just down the road?

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

And we have Hutterites, and I’m on the fence about them. Can be decent enough but a large portion of them are not strict at all and have too much time on their hands (because there aren’t 100+ full time jobs on the colony to keep them busy) and become drunks, beggars and thieves. Also think they are bad for the local economy. Things only work one way for them. They buy nothing locally but expect locals to support them at farmers markets or buy beef and pigs from them. They also drive up land prices because it’s easy to save money when you have 100 men that work for $20/month stipend plus meals. Stuff em all in small apartments made from delta rib tin and supplies that certainly wasn’t bought local then collect all of the freebies that come with being a “destitute” person living on a religious tax exempt farm while blue collar workers pay for medical for everyone there. Don’t have any problem with someone else’s beliefs but I should have to pay to make up for them. 
https://www.northernag.net/opinion-montana-farmers-express-concern-with-hutterite-study/

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

There’s a saying back east here about their carpenter skills.If you can’t cut it with a chain saw or bang it with a sledgehammer you don’t want them.I have seen their skills first hand,and believe me they are either some of the best carpenters around or are about the worst.

That 41 Willy's I helped build a few years back has the interior custom built by an amish guy.  Crazy nice and way cheaper then any local upholstery shops.  He had a 2-3 year waiting list.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Cat tail foundry is Amish i seam to recall and it has a very good reputation. The neighbor lady's from across the hill use to show up to my girlfriends sisters farm at a regular time and watch their soaps it was something to see a halve dozen Amish lady's going at those soap shows all sprawled out in  Stattler's living room .