front air ride

I took my buddy for a ride in my b and he said it did ride better with the air ride in the rear he say's i should put air bags in the front. He is good at getting me to do stuff i didn't know i needed. Anyone ever do this on a b 61? I figure you would have to remove a few leafs and get the right bag that will carry the weight you shouldn't run more than 100lbs in the bag i was told.

Yes, this was done before.  A fellow many years ago on here did it.  Same scenario, remove a couple springs and add bags.  Not sure if anyone around here today remembers Dale Hamilton?  He restored a beautiful B67 and then sold it.

I've had the same thoughts.  That stiff front axle really pounds on you.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

21 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Yes, this was done before.  A fellow many years ago on here did it.  Same scenario, remove a couple springs and add bags.  Not sure if anyone around here today remembers Dale Hamilton?  He restored a beautiful B67 and then sold it.

I've had the same thoughts.  That stiff front axle really pounds on you.

Dale was a nice guy and worked on high end boats professionally. I felt him harshly treated which limited his participation.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

100psi in the bags will make it ride like a brick. More like 35-45 would suffice but it does matter with bag selection. The double convoluted take up less space but higher pressure to carry the load. It may take some experimentation to achieve the ride quality you are looking for and ratings are online.

I would double up your front shock absorbers on the steer axle to minimize the "porpoising" this modification causes.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

42 minutes ago, Rob said:

Dale was a nice guy and worked on high end boats professionally. I felt him harshly treated which limited his participation.

Yes, I agree.  His plan was to use the truck to move the boats around.  He was not around for long, especially once he changed directions and sold the truck.  He contacted me about driving it to the new owners.

If you keep the majority of the spring pack, then you would not have to rely on so much air pressure to support the front end, which in turn would allow the bag to "move" easier and absorb some of the motion.  I remember talk of leaving the springs alone, and just using enough air pressure to just raise the front end slightly.  That would allow some spring action from the bags.  Definitely need something better then the factory shocks!

Larry

I was referring to maximum pressure that is allowed in an air bag. I am running 15 lbs in the rear bags just enough to keep the truck setting at the right height. I installed a manual valve in the cab to change the air pressure in the back bags. i used to run about 40 lbs. in the brockway's lift axle. The right diameter bag will change the air pressure needed in the front. I was just going to take out the  the short leafs and run all the long leafs.

I wanted to do this to front of my Ford FT900 and the spring shop recommended rebuilding the front spring pack so it was designed for your normal or unladen weight, upgrading the shocks, and using the air bags for excess capacity or to raise the front end for leveling when camping.

They said it is very difficult to get the air ride front end to really ride and handle good.

I will say now my air ride seat barely moves and my wife does not need a sports bra to ride in the truck!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a side note.  Originally I cut my rear leafs down so it would move withy race trailer on the back.  After a few years one side broke.  Guess those 50 yr old leafs weren't suppose to move that much?  So if you plan on removing leafs so the remaining move, watch as they may break over time.  May want to get new springs made?

Larry

• 3 weeks later...