It is a B model Mack Converted to an R model.

A mechanically sound B with beat sheet metal or an accident could be upgraded with all the parts and pieces along with a new hood and cab.  The VIN would still reflect the B model origin.  You would then have a new looking truck with ease of access to the engine that the B model didn't provide.

Also, a previous thread from a few days ago with some interesting info..

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Yes somebody on here has one can’t think of the guys name and I am embarrassed I even bought parts from him and  personal messages ... he hasn’t posted for a while I think that’s his truck that you sent the photo of.... bob

1 hour ago, Maddog13407 said:

another one of those,'' I wont sell it for the $1500 you offered me today but ill gladly scrap it for $950 bucks tomorrow

A company I used to run for many years ago had 70 plus trucks. Everything from R's to Superliners and two MH Ultraliner V8 cabovers. Along with the newer CH's and CL's.

They still have almost all of them sitting in their back yard. Just rotting. Got E9 500 V8's in storage trailers, brand new rebuild kits for them.

Won't sell anything and no intention of doing anything with them. Just let them sit and rot and go to waste. Probably enough good stuff there you could build a new R model or Superliner. I get depressed every time I walk through the yard.

The red BCR at the top of the thread seems to have a more spread out front axle than others I have seen.  Almost like a factory R front setup.  Most BCR's that I have seen have a narrower track, at least that is the way it appears to me.  Am I imagining things?

• Like 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

It is a wider front end.  The truck had started out as a single axle heavy wrecker.  Wheelbase has been cut down a little.

As built for wrecker service, the front axle probably is an FA522 or 601 instead of FA505 (8,000 lb) which was used on B tractors in many cases.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.