Salt Lake City W-71

18 minutes ago, cncFireman said:

Superdog still has that W71 tractor for sale I think? He was asking good money but it so far appears to be the only tractor to survive. Just search Very Rare W-71T it was posted in 2012. Nevermind I see you revived that thread in December. Send him an offer... 😉 

I looked at that truck before he bought it, should not have passed on it!!    terry:MackLogo:

2 hours ago, cncFireman said:

Superdog still has that W71 tractor for sale I think? He was asking good money but it so far appears to be the only tractor to survive. Just search Very Rare W-71T it was posted in 2012. Nevermind I see you revived that thread in December. Send him an offer... 😉 

As much as I want to, I don’t have the money, time, money, energy, money, means, money, knowledge, or money to get that truck and put it back on the road... besides I know if I did have all those things I’d want to do something to it that’d make someone unhappy...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

8 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

The W actually used the same frame rails as the LT, with a dip at the front so the engines would sit lower... other than that I’m just repeating what Mack themselves have said...

The H is the cabover L but the W is specifically the cabover LT...

The W model used the same frame rails as the LTL. The LTH was 1/16" thicker and of course less aluminum pieces. I have built from scratch both the LTL and the W model. Until you get up to the front spring hangers and the front axle they are identical as frame and cross members go. of course there is also the cab mounts that differ.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mackdaddy said:

The W model used the same frame rails as the LTL. The LTH was 1/16" thicker and of course less aluminum pieces. I have built from scratch both the LTL and the W model. Until you get up to the front spring hangers and the front axle they are identical as frame and cross members go. of course there is also the cab mounts that differ.

I saw on some factory chassis schemas that W frame rails had spread to the front like say B-model did. At the same time I'm sure LT rails were straight front to rear if you look at them from the top. Any ideas on the matter? Just a wrong picture?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

1 hour ago, Vladislav said:

I saw on some factory chassis schemas that W frame rails had spread to the front like say B-model did. At the same time I'm sure LT rails were straight front to rear if you look at them from the top. Any ideas on the matter? Just a wrong picture?

Hi Vlad,

I agree with you almost all the time but. The frame rails are the same on the LT and W frames. This is a photo of my LTL frame and the spread is obvious towards the front.

1875873316_Optimized-LTLFrame_edited.thumb.jpg.c6b05131abb52f8c978fc99f203cd91a.jpg

• Like 2

A while back probably about 2015 sometime I was looking at a magazine which had a picture of a W 71 dual tandem light blue in color setting in a field. I think it was out west maybe Utah. The only reason I remember this is at the time I never knew what a W 71 was. So that is one more that survived. 

19 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

Hi Vlad,

I agree with you almost all the time but. The frame rails are the same on the LT and W frames. This is a photo of my LTL frame and the spread is obvious towards the front.

Whoops!.. Many thanks for the reference picture. For some reason I thought LT rails were of the same shape as a common L-model had with just cab mounts etc moved backwards. Now I clearly see I was wrong. Probably I never crawled under an LT chassis since it's off a focus of my interest. One of the greatest looking trucks no doubt but my personal preference is an all Mack drivetrain. LT's with 707 were described as produced in some quantities but I don't remember ever hearing of any survivors.

15 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

Whoops!.. Many thanks for the reference picture. For some reason I thought LT rails were of the same shape as a common L-model had with just cab mounts etc moved backwards. Now I clearly see I was wrong. Probably I never crawled under an LT chassis since it's off a focus of my interest. One of the greatest looking trucks no doubt but my personal preference is an all Mack drivetrain. LT's with 707 were described as produced in some quantities but I don't remember ever hearing of any survivors.

I bet they weren't very popular, that engine would've been swimming under that hood with the space. Any 707 can fit under the hood of my standard L, and the LTs were designed to accommodate bigger engines, hence the spread frame rails at the front. Using the LT's frame rails on the W allowed for a really low doghouse because the engines could sit deeper down in the frame rails, pretty interesting that it wasn't a more popular design... in my opinion atleast!

Edited by CaptainCrutch
  • Like 1

There were a lot of LT's up here on Vancouver Island of S&S trucking with HALL-SCOTT engines chassis numbers 1011 - 1017 and quite a few on the lower mainland with 707 engines chassis numbers lt-2d1224 & lt-2d1225. These were log trucks with off high way suspentions 11 & 12 foot bunks and about 25 ton trailers.Pictures show them to be way over loaded for size of truck. 

• Like 1

Just now, BOB DINGSDALE said:

There were a lot of LT's up here on Vancouver Island of S&S trucking with HALL-SCOTT engines chassis numbers 1011 - 1017 and quite a few on the lower mainland with 707 engines chassis numbers lt-2d1224 & lt-2d1225. These were log trucks with off high way suspentions 11 & 12 foot bunks and about 25 ton trailers.Pictures show them to be way over loaded for size of truck. 

Sounds like the right application for the way over built 707 motor...

On 2/19/2020 at 10:49 AM, Vladislav said:

If an all Mack drivetrain was available when a lot of the LT's were built there would be a few around. Mack did't start making their own engine until late in LT production. I don't know of one factory built LT with an all Mack drivetrain. Only thing offered was a Hall Scott gas engine and the Cummins Diesel. Mack trans and Brownie aux box, Mack rears. The W-71 was only offered with a Cummins. 

Any photo's of a 707 in an LT around? Got to look small in there.

Edited by AZB755V8

19 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

If an all Mack drivetrain was available when a lot of the LT's were built there would be a few around. Mack did't start making their own engine until late in LT production. I don't know of one factory built LT with an all Mack drivetrain. Only thing offered was a Hall Scott gas engine and the Cummins Diesel. Mack trans and Brownie aux box, Mack rears. The W-71 was only offered with a Cummins. 

Any photo's of a 707 in an LT around? Got to look small in there.

The only source of info on LT with Mack engines is a text in a green Mack book which covers L-model history. Although it mentioned in the text the book conteins none of the LT pics representing Mack engine installed. Also there's sence indeed of no need of long LT bonnet for installing Mack engine as long as LF/LH?LJ could be used for such reason. So probably only a case might be if someone wanted LT (or aluminium LTL?) chassis or just the look.

Another point I didn't understand your phrase of Mack not making their own engine until late in LT production. We know Mack made as early engines as for AC Bulldog and earlier but particulary Mack introduced Thermodyne OHV serie of engines in November of 1938 including EY which was 707.

IMG_20200221_190212.jpg

IMG_20200221_190336.jpg

• Like 1

Let me rephrase the engine issue. Mack did not start making Diesel engines until the end of the LT production run. W-71's only had Cummins diesel power. I only have diesel powered Macks. Of course Mack made the AC engines and GAS Thermodyne's but we are talking about a W-71 and LT's. Silly me not taking into account all the other Mack models made. Still I would like to see a photo of a 707 in an LT, surly not may made and non known to exist today? Wounder why?

20 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

Let me rephrase the engine issue. Mack did not start making Diesel engines until the end of the LT production run. W-71's only had Cummins diesel power. I only have diesel powered Macks. Of course Mack made the AC engines and GAS Thermodyne's but we are talking about a W-71 and LT's. Silly me not taking into account all the other Mack models made. Still I would like to see a photo of a 707 in an LT, surly not may made and non known to exist today? Wounder why?

Mack introduced their first own diesel together with other Thermodyne engines - 519 c.i. ED Lanova in November of 1938. Interesting fact they offered gasser in 3 displacements of 510, 673 and 707 but the only Diesel was in the smallest block. In fact those gassers and the diesel were very similar in design having the most of the block as the same casting, same crankshaft, oil pan etc. But seemed Mack tried to go a safer track with diesel offering it of relatively low HP and with thicker cylinder walls. In fact the next generation was END-672 which also used Lanova combustion chamber but was made in 673 c.i. block. Not ready to say the year of beginning of the production, probably 1945 or 46.

The fact of LT with Mack gasser existance seems as one really interesting matter no doubt. Might worth bothering Mack museum if no other facts show up.

Edited by Vladislav
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, mackdaddy said:

Here is a 1947 LT that I just picked up. The owner called me and told me he was not able to finish the restoration . He was 11yrs old when he and his Dad picked it up at the San Francisco Mack dealer!! It has the Mack 707 thermodyne gasser. the 47 thru 49 were on a different frame than the 50 on LT's

47 lt.jpg

Does it still have the spread frame rails? Also looks like that’s a 707B motor to me. It could also be an A but it seems more like a B motor to me.
Please give us any information you have about the truck!

Also do you plan on restoring it? It’d be the only 707 powered LT on the road!

6 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

Does it still have the spread frame rails? Also looks like that’s a 707B motor to me. It could also be an A but it seems more like a B motor to me.
Please give us any information you have about the truck!

Also do you plan on restoring it? It’d be the only 707 powered LT on the road!

My bet that's EY 707ci Mack engine taking to account the production year.

14 hours ago, Mike Harbison said:

What's the serial # on that one?

Also an interesting fact is the diff ratio.

Mike, what the thunder did force you to set up a new account?

Edited by Vladislav

2 hours ago, Vladislav said:

My bet that's EY 707ci Mack engine taking to account the production year.

C motors have the exhaust manifold on the driver side of the truck, this one has it on the passenger. The thing that leads me to believe it’s a B motor is the pattern on the block. My ‘53 has a B motor in it so the year isn’t really a reliable way of figuring out which motor I’ve learned...

19 hours ago, mackdaddy said:

Here is a 1947 LT that I just picked up. The owner called me and told me he was not able to finish the restoration . He was 11yrs old when he and his Dad picked it up at the San Francisco Mack dealer!! It has the Mack 707 thermodyne gasser. the 47 thru 49 were on a different frame than the 50 on LT's

47 lt.jpg

What is the mack on the back?    terry:MackLogo: