Mack CF Restoration

Well now that the L is in almost perfect mechanical condition the CF has quit on us. Seems like it's not getting any fuel because it turns over and keeps turning but doesn't do anything else. I'm at work right now and had some time to write this up to go ahead and see if anyone has any idea what the issue could be. I can't remember what motor it is right now just that it's a 6 cylinder Mack engine. I should add that it smelt like an electric motor burnt out to me but the fuel pump is mechanical and seems to still be working but we're not sure. We even tried kicking it over with starting fluid but not even a spark. Current thought is that the 19 year old fuel filters are clogged but who knows, it hasn't been run that much in that time.

Plans for the future with it include having the hose bed rebuilt and the whole thing repainted, it also had the pump panel and fenders rebuilt by 4-guys so replacements of those are a hope for the future, as well as replacing a few valves so she'll pull a draft again. Only other thing I can think of that needs to be done is fixing the front suction valve that apparently never worked and they just kept a butterfly valve on the front, so either fix the valve or find a new butterfly.

Over all it's never given us any problems until just yesterday so I hope it's nothing too serious.

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

It’s fine we checked that, it’s a manual component, and was actually one of the first things I thought of... really the only electrical components on that engine from what I read are the starter and alternator...

Edited by CaptainCrutch

Crack an injection line and crank it.  Does any fuel come it?  Lift pump failure?  Shut off stuck??  Use a compressor blow gun to lightly pressurize the fuel tank(very carefully), and see if you get fuel at injection pump??

Just a few thoughts

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Shut off isn’t stuck and the pump was pumping, and no leaks can be found, we spent an hour looking for the simple things we could think of, that’s what leads us to believe the filters are clogged, we haven’t had the time to check yet, we also added more fuel to the tank to try to pressurize it some, nothing came of it but the fuel gauge rising... it’s been kinda stressful this week and we haven’t had the time to check it yet, plan is to do some more investigating next week. Just wanted to know if there was something small we over looked, we’re not mechanics after all, just enthusiast fire engines with basic maintenance knowledge.

Ok, need some clarification.  Gas or Diesel?   I am assuming diesel.

The fact it won't even snort with starting fluid concerns me.  A diesel will at least cough to some extent.   A gas motor that does not respond to starting fluid has more in-depth issues. 

Larry

It’s a diesel, and to be fair we were just trying to squirt a little up through the small air inlet on the side which began leaking out back out after a bit... i think it hit the air cleaner and refused to go any further... it ran perfectly fine on Saturday and then Wednesday it wouldn’t even start.

Remove air hose and give it a real short whiff, then crank it.  If it coughs, then you need to trace lack of fuel.

Remove line from lift pump and see if you get anything.

Edited by Freightrain

Larry

No smoke out the exhaust means no fuel

I reckon iys something very simple 

Like the sleave on the stop cable has shifted in its clamp and now the arm cant fully return 

Or maybe the bolt and clip or what ever it has on the wire or cable has slipped or is catching on something not allowing it to return

• 4 weeks later...

Well as it turns out the maintenance manual is useless when it comes to finding consumables like the fuel filters, so I had to crawl under the truck with a flashlight to find what looks like the original filters put on the thing... so to help anyone else also having a similar issue I made a little video showing where they are when I was down in the barn today to get part numbers and mow... hope this ends up helping somebody!

Ok, need some clarification.  Gas or Diesel?   I am assuming diesel.
The fact it won't even snort with starting fluid concerns me.  A diesel will at least cough to some extent.   A gas motor that does not respond to starting fluid has more in-depth issues. 

Yes I’m puzzled as well over same thing...bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the video I posted is of me and my rig... I mostly made it for firefighters like us who aren’t mechanics and as I said the maintenance manual is useless at telling me where the things are, just that the secondary is mounted to the motor, and not where on the motor... so I crawled under the truck and looked for them...

13 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

Well the video I posted is of me and my rig... I mostly made it for firefighters like us who aren’t mechanics and as I said the maintenance manual is useless at telling me where the things are, just that the secondary is mounted to the motor, and not where on the motor... so I crawled under the truck and looked for them...

yes i watched the video after i wrote that,,,,cool video,,,,great looking ride....we still dont know why the either didnt atleast fire it for a few seconds doesnt make sence ....but blowing air into the airtank should do it...after you completely fill and change both filters,,,run around 25 pns of air into fuel tank..if this helps i put this together for my DM worked like a champ bought everything at home depot,,,that chrome piece is a chain link fence post cap,,2 inch rubber hose...drilled hole in chrome cap to install airline nipple hose clamps to hold everything together ,pretty clever aaaaaaaaaaaaa///// well i tryed to send you a photo of my invention,,,wont download.... bob

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

I think I have heard that before and it’s not supposed to be flammable that’s the weird part....bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'll light off under diesel compression, almost any light oil will even atf.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Did you check the electric pump near the fuel tank,  first is it running, second it probably has a screen filter on the bottom.   If the filter is running you will hear it.  A tic tic tic is the noise it.will make with the batteries on and the ignition on..   if you want to check the filter on that it probably has a quarter turn cap on the bottom,   Be gentile,   Two free things to check

Honestly after the discovery of the electric fuel pump on this rig that was my bet, that we had burnt it out, which would've explained the lack of fuel and the smell of an electrical fire that couldn't be found when we first tried to start it last month and discovered the problem.

• 1 year later...