1976 R600

William Allen

I have a ‘76 R600 the trailer has been hooked up for a couple of years just because we never used the truck. I’ve been getting it back running to haul a dozer. when i went to unlock the fifth wheel it seemed to be locked up. Im guessed do to the old grease that is packed in there. I need to know ways to clean the old grease out to get the fifth wheel freed up.

3 hours ago, William Allen said:

I have a ‘76 R600 the trailer has been hooked up for a couple of years just because we never used the truck. I’ve been getting it back running to haul a dozer. when i went to unlock the fifth wheel it seemed to be locked up. Im guessed do to the old grease that is packed in there. I need to know ways to clean the old grease out to get the fifth wheel freed up.

are you parked on flat level ground? is the tractor backed up against the king pin? what make fifth wheel is it?

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

i would pull the lock, set the trailer brakes and try pulling away easily. it may pop loose.

I have used a crow bar on jaws to pop them open on grease plates (fifth wheels) that have been a trailer sitting for decades

If you hold the handle out with a chain block or come along, so the fifth wheel cant relock and then as said, apply the trailer brakes and work it back woulds and forwards it will no doubt release pretty easily 

Paul 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, William Allen said:

It is on level ground. The king pin is against the fifth wheel plate. And it is what ever fifth wheel that was put on from factory in 76.

if there is a bolt sticking out the side it is a release bolt if it isn't folded over hit it with a sledge hammer  that will release the lock bar

Just now, Prowrench said:

if there is a bolt sticking out the side it is a release bolt if it isn't folded over hit it with a sledge hammer  that will release the lock bar

back in '76 it's unlikely the factory installed the fifth whee,l more than likely it was installed by a body builder , it could be a fontaine, holland, asf, or a simplex

11 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I have used a crow bar on jaws to pop them open on grease plates (fifth wheels) that have been a trailer sitting for decades

If you hold the handle out with a chain block or come along, so the fifth wheel cant relock and then as said, apply the trailer brakes and work it back woulds and forwards it will no doubt release pretty easily 

Paul 

It has a handle that you slide. Not a pull out one

7 hours ago, William Allen said:

It has a a handle that slides not one that pulls out. 

do you have any pictures you can post ? You might try having someone pull on the handle with a hook while you rock back and forth a little. dried up grease won't be a problem until the temps are in the teens. you've got a lot of rust along with worn parts try spraying everything on the underside with a good penetrating oil like thrust, kroil or last resort pb blaster

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

im sure the adjuster pins are just rusted to the side rails as someone metioned spray the shit out of them then tap on the release mechanism good luck...welcome aboard....alotta times they are real hard to move,even if you use them all the time make sure you wind down the legs on your trailer,and take off the pressure before you start moving it back in forth...good luck...bob

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 5:08 PM, William Allen said:

It has a handle that you slide. Not a pull out one

Sounds like an old Fontaine "No slack"?  Likely just corroded.

Pull the lever and try to strap it to stay in the unlocked position and then try moving the truck back and forth to hopefully knock it loose.  Remember to lower the trailer legs!!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"