Virgina issue on to higher court

41chevy

13 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Paul, any news outlets following this? And do they publish minutes of their meetings online? I need some comic reading. 

And did you get the private message about Ray and Gregg? 

Got it and gave it to Casey.
 I'll send you a few transcripts from court. I do not want media involved because than you get people out of the area taking sides, pushing their agenda muddying the waters.

13 hours ago, General Ike said:

At the end of the day, even though sticking it to the town sounds like the most satisfying thing to do, bankruptcy will only do more harm than good to the honest productive members of the town that aren't on Mrs. Shizdontstink side.  They still need sewer, water, infrastructure and other public works projects not to mention law enforcement, fire and EMS protection (much of which I am sure is done by volunteers but nonetheless requires money).  I like Paul's idea of giving them one final chance to right their wrong.  This way Paul gets what he wants and legally deserves as a land owner, veteran and citizen of the United States, and the vast remainder of the town (which I am assuming are not trying to screw him) are not deprived of the services and protections that their taxes have gone to fund for decades.

On the other hand Paul, if they even flinch, drop the hammer.

My offer leaves all of the town intact and none of the town monies changes hand, no service cuts, no firings only 4184 days of an in your face reminder

13 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

With 1785 acres you should put a mobile home park closest to the snobs and let the disadvantaged stay there free.

Or better yet build a park there with campsites for the homeless!

My vote is no mercy for the town, just follow the judges orders. Then just say "it's what the judge ordered"

I am seriously thinking of building a 1/2 mile dirt track, RC car track and 1/4 mile drag strip.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Yeah sticking it to the town would hurt a lot of regular folks, at least when I was there the majority of the town was just middle to low income rural Virginia people living the usual small town life. I think your offer is super generous, hopefully they'll see the light on that and work with you, and like you said they end up looking good for it anyway!

Not surprised to hear folks from Richmond and Charlottesville are moving out there. We noticed a number of McMansion looking places last time we headed up US-15 to look at a truck.

Buddy does the local swap meet in Randolph, Ohio.  Same jist.   Everything on the spot is like $2.  He doesn't want to bring anything home.  He's near 80 and doesn't want all that crap around anymore.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

Buddy does the local swap meet in Randolph, Ohio.  Same jist.   Everything on the spot is like $2.  He doesn't want to bring anything home.  He's near 80 and doesn't want all that crap around anymore.

I still have 2 40 foot containers of New parts. I went to older autoparts stores and hardware stores that were open in the 40's and 50's and bought all their old dead stock, Brake shoes, drums , hydraulics ,gens, starters and regulators, tune up sets, shocks, shock links and probably close to 400 NOS 50's and early 60's tail light and parking light lenses in the boxes. Bought all the speed equipment from a place called Cavaliri Auto parts. All  40's and 50's stuff for Olds, Buick, Caddy, Ford flatheads and Y blocks, Fox Craft fender skirts, Cal Custom Lakes pipes, appleton dummy spotlights and universal blue dot kits, a box full of license plate reflectors on bolts to hold you plates on an the prize is a 100 foot roll of clear insulated copper core ignition wire and two clear small block chevy distributor caps.

When the NY fire depts racing trucks were going from Chrysler 392 hemis and 413 , 426 wedges I bought close to 50 of the from various depts on Long island complete take outs less distributors. Paid 250 to 350 a pop. Still have most of them.

Yep I'm a hoarder.

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Sadly it will come a time when all that stuff is near worthless, unfortunately.   Kids today don't want to wrench on a hot rod...they just want to put a tuner on it and go.

Have an elderly friend that has a garage full of hot rods that he bought new(70  boss 302, 289 Comet, among others).  His two kids are waiting to sell it off for cash because they don't want anything about it.  His latest project, straight axle Comet he is running the wheels off because he knows it makes no sense in keeping it a garage queen no matter how much he spent on it.  He's near 80 and has Parkinson's.   He knows his driving time is limited.  I told him after the first scratch(in the paint), it's all downhill from there!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I call it the "half century halo effect"- In old age  we lust after and finally acquire the cars we lusted after when we were teenagers. When I was a teenager in the 60s I had little interest in Model Ts, I wanted the latest and best 60s sports or muscle car. The young driver of today reads the road tests and sees that a new GTI offers the performance of a 60s muscle car along with 30 MPG on the highway and a warranty and buys one. Me, I'm restoring a Mini Cooper S and drooling over the upcoming mid engine Corvette or a mid engine Porsche for my next new car, but I'll probably settle for a Golf R...

5 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

I call it the "half century halo effect"- In old age  we lust after and finally acquire the cars we lusted after when we were teenagers. When I was a teenager in the 60s I had little interest in Model Ts, I wanted the latest and best 60s sports or muscle car. The young driver of today reads the road tests and sees that a new GTI offers the performance of a 60s muscle car along with 30 MPG on the highway and a warranty and buys one. Me, I'm restoring a Mini Cooper S and drooling over the upcoming mid engine Corvette or a mid engine Porsche for my next new car, but I'll probably settle for a Golf R...

Wouldn't mind importing a VW SP2 as a project"

Half century halo effect"  :)  except I still own most all the cars from my early age except 3 that I sold at auction a few years ago. A his and her set of 1971 440 Challengers and a 1971 340 six pack Duster. All 3 un titled and raced since new.

P.T.CHESHIRE

Didn't get a new car 'til 1978, so missed the chance to buy a 60s car new. Was working nights at a Chevy dealer in '68 when a new Z28 came in, found it was unsold, and after talking mom and dad into cosigning, found it had been sold to the school superintendent's son when I got to work next day. Probably couldn't afford insurance on it anyway, but I should have punted and bought one of the last of the Corvairs at least, 'long as I had mom and dad on board. I'm 2nd owner of the Cooper S, bought it in '75 and drove it through the late 80s, now I'm restoring it.

An SP2 would definitely be a keeper!

Edited by Maxidyne

1 hour ago, Maxidyne said:

Didn't get a new car 'til 1978, so missed the chance to buy a 60s car new. Was working nights at a Chevy dealer in '68 when a new Z28 came in, found it was unsold, and after talking mom and dad into cosigning, found it had been sold to the school superintendent's son when I got to work next day. Probably couldn't afford insurance on it anyway, but I should have punted and bought one of the last of the Corvairs at least, 'long as I had mom and dad on board. I'm 2nd owner of the Cooper S, bought it in '75 and drove it through the late 80s, now I'm restoring it.

An SP2 would definitely be a keeper!

Always like the Minis course I also likes the Austin Americas too.

You are one of a very small group who know what and SP2 is. When we looked at Type 3 in 1972 at Courtesy VW they had an SP in the corner of the shop. The owner imported for his son. Wanted one since than.

P.T.CHESHIRE

15 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Sadly it will come a time when all that stuff is near worthless, unfortunately.   Kids today don't want to wrench on a hot rod...they just want to put a tuner on it and go.

Have an elderly friend that has a garage full of hot rods that he bought new(70  boss 302, 289 Comet, among others).  His two kids are waiting to sell it off for cash because they don't want anything about it.  His latest project, straight axle Comet he is running the wheels off because he knows it makes no sense in keeping it a garage queen no matter how much he spent on it.  He's near 80 and has Parkinson's.   He knows his driving time is limited.  I told him after the first scratch(in the paint), it's all downhill from there!

Good for him!

This weekend in Georga is the last time I'll race my '55. It's with in days of my first pass with it in 1969 (pop ran it from 1962 til I bought it) . I'll install thicker head gaskets, cut the boost way down, plop on one of my 1050 Dominators and run it on a mix of racing and pump gas for cruise nites. Might even paint it since the family paid for a paint job 5 years ago. Tough decision since it's been in primer since 1976.

I've been accumulating crap since I was 15 plus stuff from Grandmas farm and trucks and tractors from sisters farm in Maine. Aside from my grandson who loves my 55 and son and daughter in law who wants my Steeda Focus the rest of the stuff is already set with an auctioneer immediately on my achieving room temperature.

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 hours ago, 41chevy said:

I've been accumulating crap since I was 15 plus stuff from Grandmas farm and trucks and tractors from sisters farm in Maine. Aside from my grandson who loves my 55 and son and daughter in law who wants my Steeda Focus the rest of the stuff is already set with an auctioneer immediately on my achieving room temperature.

Do you have any Hayward F-Models and if so, will you adopt me? 

• Haha 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

3 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Do you have any Hayward F-Models and if so, will you adopt me? 

5 Internationals,  1 REO,  4 Autocars, 7 Marmons, 3 AM Generals, 60 or 70 Macks, 3 mid 40's GMC's, 4 Dodges, 3 AA Fords half a dozen motorcycles and close to 100 Mopars, AMC's  and Brand X'es. Funny not one COE although I was looking at a Cruiseliner not to long ago but every time I talked to the man the price went up!

P.T.CHESHIRE

10 hours ago, 41chevy said:

5 Internationals,  1 REO,  4 Autocars, 7 Marmons, 3 AM Generals, 60 or 70 Macks, 3 mid 40's GMC's, 4 Dodges, 3 AA Fords half a dozen motorcycles and close to 100 Mopars, AMC's  and Brand X'es. Funny not one COE although I was looking at a Cruiseliner not to long ago but every time I talked to the man the price went up!

Any Hayward R-Models Daddy?    LOL!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

On 10/2/2019 at 10:18 PM, 41chevy said:

Quite the selection of trucks, got them all at one place?    terry:MackLogo:

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:18 PM, 41chevy said:

Folks don't believe my Area 61 construction conspiracy theory about P.T.?

I suspect deep down those old ladies in Virginia are a little afraid of you because that's a motor pool the size of the 35th Division.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, terry said:

Quite the selection of trucks, got them all at one place?    terry:MackLogo:

Some in VA, some still in Maine and the Reo and GMCs are still working in Riverhead at the farm

8 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Folks don't believe my Area 61 construction conspiracy theory about P.T.?

I suspect deep down those old ladies in Virginia are a little afraid of you because that's a motor pool the size of the 35th Division.

No they're not afraid. When I went to the 2nd to last meeting I pulled my M917 into the parking space right out side the meeting room window. They all just stared at it's magnificence with an open mouth look of awe..

One AM General dump, 2 AM General power units and one M35 mobile crane is not  scary, bring my Riverhead friend Ron Gasser down from the American Armor Museum in VA with  a few dozen of his pieces of armor, than they can worry. Anyway ALL of my Am G's have my trade mark happy face on the powered steer and the  "Have you hugged a tank today"  mud flaps.

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

I love this stuff, true examples-

The late Gene Dixon, owner of Kyanite Mining Corporation,  once tried to check in to a fancy motel in the Norfolk/ Va. Beach. They refused him a room because he looked liked regular folks, and he had been drinking, as the story goes. He bought the motel and fired everybody. 

Johnny was in the Southern Belle Truckstop in Berkeley Springs one night, got to talking with a couple of other drivers in there. When they left and went outside, one of the others said "what are you driving?" He pointed to an F model with a load of green lumber and said "that Mack". They said "would you mind if we pulled out first, so you won't hold us up- we've  gotta go!" "No problem, go right ahead".  They were both driving "large cars".  He pulled out behind them, and then he proceeded to blow their doors off going up Town Hill Mountain with that V12 F model.

Wayne stopped by the IH dealer in Greensboro, N.C. one time. He wanted to buy a new truck, but he was in his work clothes too. The salesman wouldn't give him the time of day, not realizing that Wayne could build a truck out of parts in his junk drawer. He bought a new truck, paid cash for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

15 hours ago, other dog said:

I love this stuff, true examples-

The late Gene Dixon, owner of Kyanite Mining Corporation,  once tried to check in to a fancy motel in the Norfolk/ Va. Beach. They refused him a room because he looked liked regular folks, and he had been drinking, as the story goes. He bought the motel and fired everybody. 

Johnny was in the Southern Belle Truckstop in Berkeley Springs one night, got to talking with a couple of other drivers in there. When they left and went outside, one of the others said "what are you driving?" He pointed to an F model with a load of green lumber and said "that Mack". They said "would you mind if we pulled out first, so you won't hold us up- we've  gotta go!" "No problem, go right ahead".  They were both driving "large cars".  He pulled out behind them, and then he proceeded to blow their doors off going up Town Hill Mountain with that V12 F model.

Wayne stopped by the IH dealer in Greensboro, N.C. one time. He wanted to buy a new truck, but he was in his work clothes too. The salesman wouldn't give him the time of day, not realizing that Wayne could build a truck out of parts in his junk drawer. He bought a new truck, paid cash for it.

Hard to decide which story I like most. Maybe Gene Dixon's?

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Hard to decide which story I like most. Maybe Gene Dixon's?

That was surely the biggest, and something that most of us have wanted to do at one time or another but could only dream of doing. Kyanite Mining Corporation still owned that motel until a few years ago, then they sold it. Gene Dixon was the owner of Kyanite Mining then, then Gene Dixon Jr. took over. They have both passed away and Gene Jr's son Guy Dixon runs the show now, and they are still among the richest families in Va.

I wouldn't know Guy Dixon if I saw him, but I remember seeing Gene Jr. in Dillwyn in the 80's. He was driving a brown and tan Chevrolet or GMC pickup, with a dog box in back, wearing blue jeans and a work shirt. You would never suspect he was worth millions just by looking at him.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.