Postal Tractors Should Be Coming Up For Sale

Well USPS is finally replacing the fleet of Mack’s. They’ve went with the International HV series for the replacement and they are steadily rolling in so the Mack’s are going one by one as the new ones roll in.

I'm not exactly sure how they are selling them but we’ve already sold a few that had transmission problems. I’m not sure if someone has already mentioned this or not but I figured I’d post it in case somebody was interested in buying one. The box trucks were auctioned off on the fed auction site so they may be doing the same with these, not sure.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2019 at 2:35 PM, Maxidyne said:

Are these International MVs actual purchases or more rental/lease trucks from Ryder?

Actual purchases. All the quirky postal specs included.

The Ryder trucks were more of a bandaid to replace trucks that weren’t repairable or if we just needed more trucks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very strange they chose the vocational HV over the RH on-highway.

Of course we did later sell them MR tractors, but we had no choice after MC production ended. The lighter MC tractors sold to the USPS originally were all they needed.

https://www.internationaltrucks.com/trucks/hv-series

https://www.internationaltrucks.com/trucks/rh-series

And the MC rode better, with no complaints from the drivers. The MR brought with it a 3/8" thick frame and that along with a stack of stiff springs which although rated at only 12,000 pounds seemed to have been designed for front loader refuse trucks made for a rough ride and documented back and neck injuries. There was a campaign that retrofitted the MRs with different springs, seats, and a smaller steering wheel but that thick MR frame remained. As anyone who has watched trucks on uneven off road surfaces has observed, the frame acts as a spring whether we like it or not, and even after the mods the MR still rode worse than the MCs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I saw one of the new single axles going up I-270 on Monday evening.  The passenger side horn trumpet was missing (base was there), the front bumper was pulled forward on one side and pushed in on the other and it looked like there was scrapes and damage in the right side of the hood.  Fuel tanks were black with dirt on spilled fuel.  Great to see how well the new equipment is being treated.  😞

• Like 1

Was checking a Postal Worker forum for opinions on the new tractors and didn't find any, but did find that they're buying a bunch of right hand drive Mercedes Metris vans and the Postal Workers weren't impressed by them. They pointed out problems with poor visibility and general flimsy construction. Sounds like these RHD Metris vans will be a stopgap replacement for the aging LLVs until the Postal Service decides which long term LLV replacement they like.

• 6 months later...

Yes up thru the ‘01 deliveries.  There were a couple of ‘03’s or ‘04’s with the old CH hood and newer doors.  Those had electric start and A/C. St Louis had one.  The large ‘06/‘07 order of MR’s and CXN’s had electric start and A/C.  Everything ‘01 and older was air start and no A/C.  Another oddity is that they used Chrysler key blanks, not Mack.  (At least all of the ones I owned did.)

• Like 1