MP8 running hot up hills and mountains

Keffer inc

Hey guys, I've been battling a new issue with my truck running hot up hills. The coolant will get up to 230⁰ and the oil also reaches 250⁰ and will derate. I think the problem has been around for a month and progressively getting worse, but the truck did get a new injector and cup (#5) and the running hot issue seems to be a lot worse. The dealer that did the injector said an injector or cup wouldn't cause an issue like that, and as I said, it's been going on for a little while, but is there a chance the problem is with the work they did?

I think it's probably gonna be something simpler like a slipping impeller inside the water pump or a sticking thermostat, maybe a dirty (outside) radiator, but is there anything else to check? Radiators won't just gum up inside for no reason right? I'm going to replace the water pump and thermostat this weekend. Let me know if there's something else I can check. Thanks.

20190428_211508.jpg

Once apart if real dirty, mix up some dishsoap and water in a spray bottle and spray down real good and let set for a bit , then rinse out with a garden hose, you will be surprised the dirt you get out.     terry:MackLogo:

The condenser looks fine, not really any dirty in the fins, but I guess it's first to see the rain. As far as my air filter, it's most likely past point needing to be replaced. I'll try just those two things and see what happens next week rather than throwing parts at it. Today I took manual control of my fan, it does cool better with it running, at idle I put my hand in front of the condenser and it's not pulling a lot of air, but I'm not sure what would be concerned normal either. Should it be sucking my hand off? I'm buying a new air filter and taking the radiator, cac, and condenser off for through cleaning tomorrow.

20190808_124554.jpg

Edited by Keffer inc

It's pulling some air through. Can you set the idle in high in neutral using the cruise? It won't suck your hand hard, but it does need air flow.

Just blow air through from the fan side with compressed air. It'll tell you real fast how much dust there is in there. Blow out as much of the radiator as you can this way before tearing things off.  Get what you can out of there that way and run it for a day, see if it's any better.

I think it’s a good ideal to replace the thermostat and coolant pump. These items are easy to replace and not super expensive and will fail not to much farther down the road if they haven’t already . As others have said the fan clutch/ air flow through the radiator is also a high on the list on possible cause of overheating. There is a good chance you have the much hated Borg Warner Cool Logic fan clutch. It’s easy to tell if you got the Cool logic fan because it’s super huge with heat sink fins all over it . They were a total failure and are no longer made . They actually leak oil and start slipping and gradually fail to the point that the issue only shows up on hot days . As others have said I’d first take the grill out , raise the hood and take the condensed loose and lay to the side . Pull the charge air cooler / after cooler and wash out the radiator. We replaced a couple of fan clutchs when it really just needed a radiator fin cleaning. Theses were farm trucks though. https://www.fanclutch.com/PicsDocs/BorgWarner_Cool_Logic_Diagnostic_Guide.pdf

9 hours ago, Mackpro said:

. There is a good chance you have the much hated Borg Warner Cool Logic fan clutch. It’s easy to tell if you got the Cool logic fan because it’s super huge with heat sink fins all over it . They were a total failure and are no longer made . They actually leak oil and start slipping and gradually fail to the point that the issue only shows up on hot days .

Yup some one got sold a bill of goods when they were building  these trucks the Leader in cooling tech! YUP You bet! they started flinging oil out prior to the PDI or shortly there after! They probably bought up the seconds that the borg warner had or something!

Well guys, looks like I may have found the issue, and I found by a freak accident. I broke a quick connect fitting off while trying to use several extensions to remove the fan belt (bad place for it) and broke the plastic tab off inside the hose. The hose I think goes to the DEF doser or the return from it. Anyways, coolant was only coming from the doser and not from the engine side and I thought maybe it's a check valve, but the brass fittings for the connector is plugged solid. Do you think this could be reason enough for running warm on flat ground and overheating 3/4 ro the top of the mountains?

As far as the radiator goes, I took the CAC off (heavy bastard too, thanks for that warning ;) ) and it's pretty clean, few bugs but looks normal. I'll wash it since I've done the work but I'm changing the pump and thermostat now anyways because I'm halfway apart now. 

Main thought is all this is because of the brass being plugged up?

20190809_132940.jpg

20190809_132942.jpg

20190809_133916.jpg

Not familiar with the MP engines, but the engine coolant is through the upper and lower rad hoses, which you'd have to try pretty hard to plug up. If the fitting you mentioned is clogged up it may indicate a sludge problem that could be clogging up your radiator core internally, not allowing enough coolant through to cool the engine when working hard.

I suppose it also depends where your water temp sensor is mounted. Usually they're near the thermostat? But if Volvo was dumb enough to put it by whatever circuit you've stumbled on it could be reading hot there even though the main water jacket itself is at normal temp?

Just now, JoeH said:

I suppose it also depends where your water temp sensor is mounted. Usually they're near the thermostat? But if Volvo was dumb enough to put it by whatever circuit you've stumbled on it could be reading hot there even though the main water jacket itself is at normal temp?

But your oil is running hot too, so the engines gotta be overheating.

18 hours ago, OldRedMack said:

On loaders and such we have "scrubbed" the coolant system with cascade dishwasher soap and had pretty good results.  But that is also heavy duty steel radiators, dont know if that would work in this application. 

I was considering trying that, but with coolant running in tiny hoses to DPF And DEF equipment, I'm scared the powder may jam up flow and create more issues?

Doing my first load since I replaced the water pump, thermostat, cleaner the radiator fins, changed the coolant filter, and the truck is running 210-215 with a 20 foot container with a 1 ton load on flat ground. It seems to have gotten worse. I noticed if I'm at a traffic light, it's coolant down to 200 when we get going and climbs back to 210 in a minute or two. Think it's possible it's an EGR blockage? I'm assuming these trucks have oil coolers, but not sure where they are located?