1962 Chevy C60 Questions

Bullheaded

I had a 3/4 ton chevy with a 292 engine slightly souped up pulled real good. I put a 292 that had a lot of upgrades in my 65 fj 45 pickup I like the chevy 250's and the 292's. I used to have a 65 chevy  short bed I liked that truck.

It's the 1959 style cab that was used on the C30 and larger trucks until 1967and LMC Truck has all the rubber and weather seal parts and most likely wiper parts also, blades are standard sizes.

292 is a good engine ample power and parts are available through Napa and most other stores, Napa would have brake parts also as they are standard Bendix. Gas mileage is decent with the 2 speed rear but also depends how you drive it  You also can update the ignition to HEI  since the 292 made it into the 1980s.

Parts for the 2 speed shift unit are available but right now I don't have access to my ''go to'' files.    Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

You beat me to it, 41chevy......I was just going to ask if the cab was the same as the pickups because I knew of LMC, but they just list pickups.

So that brake system is nothing odd ball then? 

Would you keep the points or go electronic ignition?

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

You beat me to it, 41chevy......I was just going to ask if the cab was the same as the pickups because I knew of LMC, but they just list pickups.

So that brake system is nothing odd ball then? 

Would you keep the points or go electronic ignition?

Thanks.

The cab parts are the same as the pick up cab, difference is the running boards and the front fender wheel openings are larger all else it interchangeable .

GM ran that brake system up to at least the mid to late 70's maybe later. Standard shoe size and bores on the wheel cylinders, lines are off shelf item. The only issue there may be is getting the kit for the combination Brake/Clutch master.

Ignition I would go to electronic after getting all else sorted out. You can get a direct drop in HEI distributor from Napa or maybe even Rock Auto since the engine was produced until 1990.Just be sure it is for a 292. Try to find points and condenser on the road some where. Electronic is worry free basically.

Here is specs for your engine.  165 gross-horsepower at 3,800 rpm and maximum torque of 280 pound-feet at 1,600 rpm

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thanks 41chevy. I know very little about GMC/Chev products. My father, then me always had Ford's.

So that booster is for the clutch also? is that this big round thing here in this pic? I never crawled right under to see what it was.

046 (Large).jpg

6 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

The 292 is a great engine, but that's not a 292!  Looks like the older 261 to me.  292 didn't come out until 1963.  The 261 was a good engine too, basically a larger heavy duty 235.

Really? I'm just going off what my friend told me. He has to find the ownership yet. He told me it is a 62 with a 292?

These are the only tags or numbers I could find on the truck.

094 (Large).jpg

096 (Large).jpg

that booster under the truck is for the brakes, not clutch. that truck will have a regular mechanical clutch.

another option for ignition is a pertronix points replacement unit. simple, and 10 minute to install. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

4 hours ago, tjc transport said:

that booster under the truck is for the brakes, not clutch. that truck will have a regular mechanical clutch.

another option for ignition is a pertronix points replacement unit. simple, and 10 minute to install. 

That twin master is brake on right clutch on left C30 to C60 ran that set up until 1965.

Should of looked at pics closer,  fuel pump and dist are on wrong side for 292.

Still have the torsion bar front suspension?

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

4 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

That twin master is brake on right clutch on left, same ones I've used in hot rods  C30 to C60 ran that set up until 1965.

Should of looked at pics closer,  fuel pump and dist are on wrong side for 292.

good call, i missed the two port master cylinder. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Treat the torsion bars with respect and a bit of lube on the hex ends. Our old farm truck broke one and I adapted a pair of 1976 El Dorado units into it.

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 8/2/2019 at 10:33 PM, Bullheaded said:

Are parts still available or will this nickel and dime me?

Nice find and looks pretty good from here.  Excellent combo for your tractor.

All hobbies use plenty of loose change!

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Very neat truck. I have a ‘61 C80 with a 348 and air brakes so a much different truck, but with independent front suspension.  Hopefully you never need king pins because we could only find one set and it was $1000.  Hopefully my old ones hold up.  I used mine today hauling dirt around the farm.  Mike 

23D88C88-DC0A-4055-8677-AC6EDA84D461.jpeg

Edited by yarnall
  • Like 1