Rear trunnion replacement cost

10 minutes ago, Moparmike said:

Dump truck 

I don't know if the one j hancock has there is the multi piece one where you cut the old out and install new one in pieces. if your replacement is a one piece one, you have to set dump box off, cut rear hinge off  remove rear crossmembers and loosen front ones spread frame and slide tandems out, then take it apart. It's a whole bunch of heavy work!!     terry:MackLogo:

20 hours ago, Moparmike said:

Just got off the phone with a shop recommended by local mack dealership 

1 to 2 days most time 1 day 5/6 out the door.

Well looks like I have to hit the work hard to get it done 

So did they give you a solid estimate?    terry:MackLogo:

Last summer I installed one of the multi piece Stengle Bros. pieces on a garbage, (rolloff) truck. If you can stand the price, it is the one to use citing what has been stated already. 

Not a hard job, but heavy.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

7 hours ago, Rob said:

Last summer I installed one of the multi piece Stengle Bros. pieces on a garbage, (rolloff) truck. If you can stand the price, it is the one to use citing what has been stated already. 

Not a hard job, but heavy.

Think that's the 1 he use just cut old out install new no frame spreading what he said

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 11:37 AM, Moparmike said:

I hope I spelled it correctly 

Anyone have a idea of the cost to replace the unit..my springs are in great shape rubber pads look great but guessing the rest needs to be replaced..any help would be appreciated 

You're guessing the rest needs to be replaced? Why? What's broken? Trunnion bar? Trunnion cross member between the frames? Trunnion tower?

Not enough info! Sounds like we might be telling you to do more than you replay need to!

The trunnion bar on our 1980 dm686sx broke years ago, got it off the ground and dropped old one out, new one in and we were good to go! You must have really stressed the truck if you broke the trunnion tower or cross member...

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

The trunnion bar on our 1980 dm686sx broke years ago, got it off the ground and dropped old one out, new one in and we were good to go! You must have really stressed the truck if you broke the trunnion tower or cross member...

I would guess maybe the tower rotted out, they will rust out where the tower sides come down to the trunnion.    terry:MackLogo:

We’ve accomplished some pretty miserable trunnion removals. Dealership only installed OEM.

If your willing to remove some members(or a pusher), pop one side lose on every member up to transmission, and manipulate the trunnion toward chassis center, and you have enough hydraulics, you’ll pop that sucker out with pintle plate and hinge in place.

www.diaglebrothers.com vends a member our dealership designed in conjunction with their fabricators. It’s a member that anchors the inner tower to the outside and inside of the frame rail with two additional flanges. Once installed you can’t lose a trunnion unless you find a way to shear a tube. Made for Quads and Michigan trains.  

Edited by Mack Technician

1 hour ago, Moparmike said:

Mines is cracked around the weld in the towers on both sides that's all I see wrong all other parts look great 

Is something a GOOD welder can grind out and reweld?    terry:MackLogo:

That I would replace. Hard to keep cracks from spreading. Some of the metal used in there is 1/2 inch thick. Your welds will need to be at least as thick to bridge the two pieces being joined back together. But the crack is in there and it's just a matter of time til it spreads.

32 minutes ago, terry said:

Don't know if you have a slow season, but welding might do till you have time to tear down.    terry:MackLogo:

Yes slow season is usually around December 

I've been keeping a eye on it since I had it welded and plan to continue until it pays for itself 

May just order the unit and have it ready and waiting till bad weather days shop says 2 days top but 1 most the time 

• Like 1