63 B61 Thermodyne slow to build oil pressure

My 63 Thermodyne on start up takes a good 20 seconds or more to show pressure on the guage.  After that holds 30 lbs at idle . Has the remote filter housing,  full flow I believe.  3 lines to it. Is there a check valve not working possibly? Or just the way they are? This is with 15 40 oil, 60 degrees outside.

Thanks 

That is a little slow but I have seen worse.  When did you last change the oil?  Do you have the screen in the bottom of the pan and did you clean it?  The screen is behind the 8" diameter cover if so equipped.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Mine was the same forever.  Tried bleeding it, polished the check valves.  Nothing made it better.  Such is life.

Only got better when I put spin on filters.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I had same problem with the B67. Turned out the filter housing was draining - valve not sealing. Worked a bunch on valve, changed valve, no good. Sit for week and housing would be close to empty.  3 ball valves and I cured that problem - just as long as I remembered to open valves before starting. It was a crude cure but work life was full and didn't have time then to tinker a whole lot.

Common problem in the old style canister type filters whether full, or bypass flow. A replacement external check valve with a very low pressure unseating pressure and viton seat takes care of the issue.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

12 hours ago, tilynb61 said:

I have not checked the screen.  If it has one I will take a look. I've thought of going to spin on filters,  I will have to look into what is involved in changing over.

Do you have turbo?  Oil cooler?  If so, then any 237 filter arrangement should bolt on.   If you don't have turbo and/or oil cooler, then it will be tougher to find a spin on set up for it.  I was lucky to get mine years back, as mine didn't have turbo/cooler.

I pulled my valves apart, polished all the seats and it worked better for like a day.  Then back to draining.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"