The early B-70 series did not have the larger aluminum radiator so the standard B shell was used.  The aluminum radiator came along to allow for higher HP engines to be properly cooled.  Production numbers of the standard B shell 70 series, I would speculate, is pretty small.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Yes this is an incredibly unusual truck as before it was assumed that the smaller radiator somehow restricted the L cab from being used, but clearly that’s not the case. It’d also be interesting to learn how many of these were made with an L cab. It also begs the question to know if a CA-31 could be put on most other Bs, the only restriction being the size of the motor in relation to the hood of course. I personally prefer Bs with larger L cabs and if it could technically be available on most Bs then that would be a very interesting discovery.

• Like 1

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

Point of clarification.  When I said B-70 series, I meant the 73, 75 and 77 trucks.  The B-70 model gasoline equipped truck utilized the same dimensions of the B-61.  The B-72 was gasoline powered and utilized the same hood with soft nose as the 73,75, 77.

I think the aluminum radiator came out in 1957 and tubeless wheels were introduced in 1955.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 10 months later...

Anyone know anything else about this truck? I can't even make out the model number on the hood. It looks like it's a diesel, due to that air cleaner, but I guess anything's possible. Honestly I feel like this is how the B models should have come, it'd certainly help with the space issues with the standard cab.

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

I'd say it's a prototype, the engineering dep't. experimenting. There's some other pics(2) in the B Model books, showing a B-77 with the same serial number. In the second photo it sports a experimental cab with a one piece windshield. Someone told me that that was a fiberglass cab they were working on, but was never produced. Then there were the export B-81's that had integral sleeper cabs. I don't think any of those were offered on the domestic market.

• Like 1

quite a few western mack's in the b-73 range with that rad were made in calif for western market. but with the b model cab.i think when they put the bigger power in that rad they just made the core thicker. my friends ltl had a 200 cummin's with narrow core  and i seen one with 300 cummin;s but thicker core.

• Like 1