Beautiful Catastrophe IV

Mack Technician

15 hours ago, h67st said:

Did he fail to check the fifth wheel jaws?

Driving a little Capacity Yard Jockey. They were working through a rain/ice storm, some theories about things freezing solid? They have(had) a good history of not dropping. 

Not sure if he got a reprimand, we sublet this work to a local railroad company.

Worst I've experienced...….I drove/wrenched for Wausau Carriers Inc, on the weekend, bringing newly purchased Stoughton Trailers from Stoughton, WI to Wausau. One Saturday I was on the 2-lane Hwy leading into the industrial park and spied a shiny new Stoughton trailer off in the swamp alongside the road. Yup, it was one of the other guys I was trailing. I knew what I was going to be working on Monday morning.    

Edited by Mack Technician

Most of the "false hooks" I've seen occurred on ice and snow. I looked up the force needed to latch the 5th wheel and on a low coefficient of friction surface like ice and snow with an empty or lightly loaded trailer the required force may not be achievable, and I've caught those false hooks a couple times during pre-trip inspection or earlier. But when I drove spotting tractor in the yard for UPS and USPS, neither required a visual inspection to confirm the trailer was hooked

Or how about when a trailer is unhooked from log rubber and the next guy goes under with short rubber and a lower 5 wheel and overshoots the wheel and hooks the front of the plate with the trailer pin. We rented out a trailer to another company and the driver was bragging how great a driver he was, backed into  the trailer and didn't tug the pin and he left the trailer laying on the ground he came back in the office and we made him crank the trailer up and fix the air hoses and cord . We had a good laugh over his misadventure.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JoeH said:

I'd say justice served, but boss still had to pay for repairs to the rats truck/trailer, even if it's just lines. Better one than a dozen though! Makes my blood boil that an employee could be that malicious. Unskilled is one thing, that can be fixed. But malicious? I have no tolerance for that.

agreed. but the boss was the one who told me to do it, he was a firm believer in paybacks are a bitch!!

and it only took about 5 minutes to get it back road ready, we always had a box of air lines and trailer cords on the shelf. by the time i got a front loader fired up and out to lift the trailer, the mechanic had already had the lines replaced. 

Edited by tjc transport
  • Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..